Author Topic: The "Dindu Nuffin" thread.  (Read 2286 times)

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Re: The "Dindu Nuffin" thread.
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2018, 06:09:49 PM »
Lestat, novocaine works if I have a really good dentist. Except on the lower jaw, left hand side. It doesn't work at all there.

Of course the last couple of dentists I had were convinced I was imagining the pain. Hence when I get more (overdue) dental work done, it's gonna have to be under a general.

When I nearly cut my left index finger off with a sharp knife (slight exaggeration, I cut less than halfway through) they gave me about 4 injections of local, it paralysed the finger but had no effect on the pain. So I told them to just bloody stitch it up anyway. It wasn't long after having a broken tooth extracted with no effective anaesthetic anyway, and stitches in the finger with no effective anaesthetic didn't hurt half as much.

When I had my the lens in my right eye replaced they used a general sedative. That didn't work either. At least not until the surgeon told the anaesthetist that I was obviously still feeling it and they bumped up the amount they were pumping into me.

I dunno what they used for the vasectomy. One thing for sure is that it didn't work. They ended up giving me an epidural? That worked. They could have cut my bollocks off with a rusty butter knife after that and I wouldn't have felt a thing.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2018, 07:46:22 PM »
Ugh...I'd hate to have anybody poking around in my eyeballs. Memories of the fuckup by pigs who shouldn't even have been here removing a label and setting up a nasty accident to come, leading to me being hit HARD (enough to dislodge goggles, now I wear a curved blast-shield and vent-less visor underneath to prevent anything the like ever happening again) by a searing, blazing hot burst of extremely corrosive, basic substances along with a jet of ammonia gas and plastic shrapnel, those memories make me more than uncomfortable with the idea of anything or anyone in or around my eyes. The pain was unbefuckinglievable, absolutely shocking, after I had part of my cornea razed and melted off by the nasty, viciously corrosive, searing hot and nastily gritty mixture of alkalis that hit me, having to irrigate my own eye whilst waiting for an ambulance, and just before they got here, dropping a local anaesthetic into the affected eye, wiping it on and around my eyeball with a finger *shudders*, to allow me to neutralize and partly take down a glassware setup that needed to react in a certain, controlled way to avoid danger, and doing the workup after I got out of hospital.

Locals don't work perfectly on me either, I can still feel some pain, although I wonder if it might not be because two of the meds I'm on, clonidine, to prevent overloads, and  tizanidine, a relative of clonidine, to relax the leg muscle  affected by some nerve damage due to a failed operation, on the knee damaged worst by both falling on glass, and in recovery, when I was attacked and left for dead by pikey filth as a kid, those meds are both alpha2 adrenergic autoreceptor agonists; meaning they decrease noradrenaline release and act as vasodilators.

Local anaesthetics are for many purposes mixed with adrenaline or noradrenaline, to act as a local vasoconstrictor and confine the local to the site of injection (local anaesthetics are sodium channel blockers, and this means that they can interfere with cardiac electrical conduction, leading to arrhythmias if systemically administered. This being one reason that cocaine in excess (or when cut to fuck with non-stimulant local anaesthetics like benzocaine) is a lot more dangerous and worse for the heart compared with other stimulants; a problem due to systemic local anaesthetic toxicity. Although lidocaine, IV is used as an antiarrhythmic drug to cardiovert certain types of abnormal heart rhythms, in the correct setting, but otherwise, systemic locals can also cause arrhythmias directly.

Have nearly had a fingertip gone myself, had to have it stitched back on, after a big fucker of a pike took it almost off, until the tip of my finger was just hanging on by a flap of skin and tissue. I still felt the stitches going in while they were being put in. The teeth wound was too deep to be seriously painful itself though, must have severed or damaged some sensory nerves in the tip of my finger.

Dental work, I fucking HATE dental work, even minor stuff really overloads me. I've often been left 'not right' for more than a week after, in a huge sensory and overstimulation fuckover. I have to have anything dental done under a general so I don't end up catatonic, or more seizure prone, and at best, with getting much of anything done for the next week. Major dental work, and I think I'm gonna need it soon, I've only been putting it off because I need to get certain medical type  supplies in place before I do.

And I HATE having my face touched by anyone who isn't a loved one in an intimate relationship. Absolutely hate it, if it isn't by somebody I'm already really close to, the kind of close where any and all time possible is going to be spent with the girl and I, tied up together with our arms wrapped  round one another.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2018, 09:11:59 PM »
When I had a lump cut out of my hand, they gave me local anaesthetic. Only it had an odd effect. I started feeling woozy, as if I'd had a general anaesthetic. It lasted about 2 minutes only, thankfully. I told the doctor and he said he had never heard of that happening before. Wow, reassuring. Not.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Delicious and refreshing.
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2018, 05:52:02 AM »
When I had a lump cut out of my hand, they gave me local anaesthetic. Only it had an odd effect. I started feeling woozy, as if I'd had a general anaesthetic. It lasted about 2 minutes only, thankfully. I told the doctor and he said he had never heard of that happening before. Wow, reassuring. Not.

“It hasn’t happened before” is one they tend to say, to reassure the patient. It’s an absolute lie, but not malicious. Another one they use when at the end of testing is “Everything is fine” or similar, just to get you out of the room ASAP, again not out of malintent, but to make time to see the next patient, because people tend to talk a lot, especially about their results. Even if the results aren’t great.

I pick up on things like that.
:dog:

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2018, 06:03:23 AM »
When you try to have a serious conversation with a dentist about how local anaesthetic doesn't work properly on you and you need him to assure you that he won't go and perform an immensely painful procedure on you without it... the tendency on the part of the dentist is to see you as a nervous patient who needs reassuring that everything will be okay if you just truuuuussssst him. As opposed to "maybe I should listen to this patient and take his concerns into consideration".

A lot of people experience pain during dental surgery and yet there is this whole myth propagated by that profession that modern dental surgery is painless. Yes, sometimes it is, but sometimes it isn't.

Last time I went to a dentist was a long time ago. I told him my concerns. He was all reassuring, guaranteed me that there would be absolutely no pain. And then he just gave me a shot and started going to work without even checking to see if it had worked. And wouldn't believe me that it hadn't worked... and insisted that he couldn't stop once he had started, even though I was shaking and sweating and telling him he had to stop.

Fucking idiot, in hindsight I should have made a big fucking scene in front of his other patients and insisted on seeing a supervisor or something.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2018, 06:45:52 AM »
When you try to have a serious conversation with a dentist about how local anaesthetic doesn't work properly on you and you need him to assure you that he won't go and perform an immensely painful procedure on you without it... the tendency on the part of the dentist is to see you as a nervous patient who needs reassuring that everything will be okay if you just truuuuussssst him. As opposed to "maybe I should listen to this patient and take his concerns into consideration".

A lot of people experience pain during dental surgery and yet there is this whole myth propagated by that profession that modern dental surgery is painless. Yes, sometimes it is, but sometimes it isn't.

Last time I went to a dentist was a long time ago. I told him my concerns. He was all reassuring, guaranteed me that there would be absolutely no pain. And then he just gave me a shot and started going to work without even checking to see if it had worked. And wouldn't believe me that it hadn't worked... and insisted that he couldn't stop once he had started, even though I was shaking and sweating and telling him he had to stop.

Fucking idiot, in hindsight I should have made a big fucking scene in front of his other patients and insisted on seeing a supervisor or something.

The only time that happened to me, it was a local anesthetic and it did not do anything for the pain. However, the rest of my body was still quite functional and I began to defend myself. Things kind of spiraled out of control at that point. I mean out of HIS control, not mine.
I was having a molar removed and he was not getting near me with that gougy, plucky thing until he gave me some MORE of that shot stuff.

He said something idiotic like, "Wow, I guess you do have a toothache."
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2018, 07:08:32 AM »
Problem for me is that I can literally have 5 or 6 shots of novocaine in my bottom left jaw and it does almost nothing to numb the pain.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2018, 07:42:27 AM »
Not sure about a similarity, but ...
I had a root canal in my lower left and had to have general anesthesia after several shots did nothing.

Well, I can't really say the shots did nothing, because the shots an hour later made my jaw feel like it was about five feet wide and weighed about a hundred pounds. NO effect on the pain, though.

The other time I had one extracted was an upper and the shots helped eventually.
I think it takes a while for the "medicine" to work and they rush things sometimes. But having a patient take a utensil out of his hand and get up from the chair kind of freaked the guy out.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 07:46:51 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2018, 02:40:41 PM »
My dentist is this guy who warns me about exactly what and how I'll be feeling. I mean literally. He knows what will happen. So I trust him when he says I won't be feeling a thing, but also when he says this might hurt a little bit.

He hasn't been wrong yet.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2018, 04:55:14 PM »
My dentist uses something else on me than novocaine. Because novocaine numbs movement and accurate feeling. But does not wear off, and ads pain too.
It has been used three times on me, and the aftereffects got worse every time. Last time it s used in me the effects lasted six months  no way I wanted that to happen in  my mouth.
My rootcanal treatments have been done twice without any sedation. But for extractions dentist decided to use something else than novocaine.

He thinks I'm kind of of interesting in what I do and don't feel.  :asthing:

Did not have to struggle to convince him of not using novocaine on me. My dad never wanted the stuff either, because of bad aftereffects. He got all his teeth pulled without any sedation. He was a bit of a nutter, when it came to pain.
Dentist did not dare doing something similar to me, so he found an alternative.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2018, 06:02:35 PM »
Problem for me is that I can literally have 5 or 6 shots of novocaine in my bottom left jaw and it does almost nothing to numb the pain.

Sounds like you need to be knocked out

I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2018, 06:54:22 PM »

Good thinking Al. If I ever take up cage fighting I will be sure to have a dentist on standby.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2018, 08:15:23 PM »

Good thinking Al. If I ever take up cage fighting I will be sure to have a dentist on standby.

Horse before the cart. If you realise the drugs are not going to work, get one of these guys to put you to sleep and loose your teeth and then prop you in the dentist chair
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2018, 02:58:11 AM »
I heard a song about this once.  It was rather racist but it tickled my funny bone.  I'm not sure why.

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2018, 08:20:28 AM »