Educational

Author Topic: You know what I don't get?  (Read 6806 times)

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
Re: You know what I don't get?
« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2018, 08:50:58 PM »
Rabid dogs are hilarious.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #76 on: August 14, 2018, 11:06:09 PM »
Unless they bite you.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #77 on: August 14, 2018, 11:25:26 PM »
I'd think you'd find that amusing.

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #78 on: August 14, 2018, 11:31:32 PM »
When my son was a baby he tried to hug an ugly stray dog on Kuta Beach (Bali). I don't think he'd ever seen a real dog before.

We were sitting under an umbrella on the beach while my wife was off shopping. It was hot and the dog came and stood under our umbrella, out of the sun. My son lunged at the dog and I managed to grab the back of his shirt and yank him away from the dog just as the dog's jaws literally snapped shut with a loud "clack" sound.

That would have been interesting. We would have been on the next flight to Singapore to get rabies shots.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #79 on: August 14, 2018, 11:35:51 PM »
Bali is basically the Aussie Canaries if I'm right on this?

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #80 on: August 15, 2018, 12:37:02 AM »

Bali is multi-faceted.

A lot of bogans (like me) go there for very cheap holidays. Bogans are the Aussie equivalent of rednecks. You can get a return flight to Bali from Sydney for around A$400, or about 220 pounds. And in low season you can get very cheap hotels. I saw some on Trivago for A$12 per night.

So it's cheaper than holidaying in Australia. Usually. Good place to go to get drunk, party, go to the beach, and be a bogan.

Of course there are interesting aspects to holidaying in Bali. Like how they put methanol in the booze. It kills a few tourists but it increases the profit margins. So the authorities pretend it's not a problem. And the cops are all 100% bent.

At the other end of the scale there are luxury resorts that attract tourists from all around the world.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #81 on: August 15, 2018, 12:40:20 AM »
If I'm going that far I might as well go to Australia and see some of you lot and encumber you with my gargantuan blubber.  Australia has to let me in first though, and you might advise them to turn me away at the border.

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #82 on: August 15, 2018, 12:47:04 AM »
If I'm going that far I might as well go to Australia and see some of you lot and encumber you with my gargantuan blubber.  Australia has to let me in first though, and you might advise them to turn me away at the border.

Bali is multi-faceted.

A lot of bogans (like me) go there for very cheap holidays. Bogans are the Aussie equivalent of rednecks. You can get a return flight to Bali from Sydney for around A$400, or about 220 pounds. And in low season you can get very cheap hotels. I saw some on Trivago for A$12 per night.

So it's cheaper than holidaying in Australia. Usually. Good place to go to get drunk, party, go to the beach, and be a bogan.

Of course there are interesting aspects to holidaying in Bali. Like how they put methanol in the booze. It kills a few tourists but it increases the profit margins. So the authorities pretend it's not a problem. And the cops are all 100% bent.

At the other end of the scale there are luxury resorts that attract tourists from all around the world.

So it's basically like I said - an Aussie Tenerife.

As for us - I can get a flight to Tenerife for £72.50 (US$92.30; €82.30; AU$130) per person.  Hotels are not cheap, we're talking £60 (US$76.30; €67.30; AU$105.60) for a double room.  Costs whilst you're out are less than in the UK - a beer is about 50%-60% the cost of the UK.

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #83 on: August 15, 2018, 01:04:12 AM »
Okay, so flights are a bit more expensive but hotels are cheaper in Bali. Overall Bali is cheaper.

I would strongly recommend against drinking anything other than beer in Bali. Or duty free booze that you bought yourself.

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #84 on: August 15, 2018, 03:08:57 AM »
What's the local grog?  The other thing is that Spain is not Muslim whereas Indonesia is.

I'm not sure what the state of play is on food though.  If you've been to Spain maybe you can advise?

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #85 on: August 15, 2018, 03:22:40 AM »
What's the local grog?  The other thing is that Spain is not Muslim whereas Indonesia is.

I'm not sure what the state of play is on food though.  If you've been to Spain maybe you can advise?

The beer may give you a bit of an upset stomach but the methanol induced spirits may literally blind you. Taste okay when you are drunk and it is watered down with mixers.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #86 on: August 15, 2018, 03:49:29 AM »

What Al said. The local grog is a traditional "palm wine" which smells a bit like petrol but won't kill you, but isn't very strong. So they add methanol to it to make it taste stronger for the tourist trade.

It don't matter how drunk I am, that sh1t tastes like a failed chemical experiment to me. It does some serious damage to tourists on a regular basis and kills a few as well. The authorities turn a blind eye (no pun intended) to the practice.

And yes, it's Indonesia. But it's Bali, and Islam didn't quite make it that far East. The dominant religions are Buddhism and Hinduism, which were the dominant religions throughout the region prior to the adoption of Islam.

Indonesian culture is traditionally very tolerant, but that is changing with more hard-line interpretations of Islam gaining ground. Some of that is being imposed on Bali, unfortunately.

In terms of food, it's not very Spanish. You can get western food or you can get Indonesian food. "Bali belly" is the common name for the food poisoning that many people come down with in Bali. Sometimes with street food the food itself is fresh and properly cooked but the plates and utensils are wiped with a filthy cloth and that is why you get sick. Bringing your own utensils or using disposable containers and utensils is always a good idea.

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #87 on: August 15, 2018, 04:10:39 AM »
There is a microbrewery in Bali.  I was thinking that, what with the culture being Buddhist and Hinduist, that it would be alright.  What I meant with regard to Spanish food is... what's the better one?  I'd be all up for Indonesian food.  I think going to the Netherlands would be easier though if I wanted that kind of food.  There are many Indonesian restaurants in the Netherlands.  Although, having said that, not been.

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #88 on: August 15, 2018, 04:13:52 AM »
Bringing your own utensils or using disposable containers and utensils is always a good idea.

Bring a knork.  It'll work.

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #89 on: August 15, 2018, 04:21:09 AM »
It don't matter how drunk I am, that sh1t tastes like a failed chemical experiment to me. It does some serious damage to tourists on a regular basis and kills a few as well. The authorities turn a blind eye (no pun intended) to the practice.

Nasty.  Why drink it?  In the Canary Islands, fake booze is only a problem with clubs using cheap spirits I'm told.  If you drink in a normal bar, a pint is €2.50 and often far less than that.  Good stuff, everyone goes home happy.

Indonesian culture is traditionally very tolerant, but that is changing with more hard-line interpretations of Islam gaining ground. Some of that is being imposed on Bali, unfortunately.

That's the country that throws an eppy at their religion being insulted, mainly because he was unfortunate enough (to them) to be born a Christian.