Educational

Author Topic: GOOD CLEAN HUMOUR  (Read 16238 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: GOOD CLEAN HUMOUR
« Reply #465 on: September 13, 2018, 04:13:21 PM »
You know, it seems like there is a direct relationship between how satisfying and tasty and generally yummy a food is, and how unhealthy it is considered for you.

My family's old "horse doctor,"  who was an not old school, but ancient school, General Practitioner, who made house calls when I was a teen was also a bit jokingly pragmatic about the medical advice he had to give out to regular folk.

There was a day when my dog and I were attacked by a pack of six feral/wild dogs and my dog fought till he could no longer, protecting me, I was bitten and my leg and one hand was torn from trying to defend him. (Ever wonder why I declared war on feral dogs in my young adulthood? There is more to these stories)
We finally warded them off and got away, all bloody and exhausted, a few miles from home on foot. We made it home after dark and of course my mom freaked out and I had had to carry my eighty five pound dog the rest of the way. He had lost a lot of blood and was passing out, giving up and one side of his skin was torn half loose and hanging off to the side.
It was ugly, but I was not hurt that badly, even though I was soaked in blood. My dog would probably not make it through the night without lots of help.
My mom frantically called the doctor and he came right away, way out in the country, fixed me up with about forty stitches, some antibiotics and then took a look at the dog. Now this was our family doctor, but he worked for over two hours stitching that dog up, splinting a broken leg that was torn half off and giving him Novocaine shots and oxygen. He ran out of thread at one point and asked what we had that he could use - he chose my new spool of mono filament fishing line. Eventually he had done all he could and basically said that if he makes through the next couple of days he will most likely live.

Anyway that is an example of this old fellow's giving character as our family doctor.

He also had a sense of humor!
He told my dad he had to cut back on his smoking. He did not want him to give up smoking entirely, but he HAD to give up his Zippo lighter that will light in fifty mile per hour winds, run on anything even the slightest bit flammable, last for generations, etc. No more Zippo. In order to get my dad's smoking to reduce, my dad had to go out into the wind with one match when he wanted a cigarette and if he could light his smoggy with that one match, he could finish it, but no more Zippo!

It came time to advise my father to lose some weight as he aged and he told my dad that the only diet that is going to do a damn bit of good is for him to start eating crap that no one wants to eat. I fact if you take some food into your mouth and it tastes good, you have to spit it out. You have had your fun. No more enjoying food.
He also gave him a special set of eating utensils in a little funny looking case to help him with his diet. There was a butter knife with a tiny thumbnail sized scoopy part on the end, a spoon with a hole through the center and, like the knife, a fork cut down with tiny bumps instead of nice long tangs to scoop with.
A sense of humor goes a long way in delivering bad news, it seemed to him.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #466 on: September 13, 2018, 04:18:59 PM »
A classic piece of theatrical comedy from the old Muppet Show back in the 70's.  As performed by the late great Zero Mostel.

:mischief:
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #467 on: September 13, 2018, 04:21:19 PM »
@ DirtDawg - Everyone in my Dad's family used the family obstetrician, EVERYONE. No fancy stuff, just good old common sense.  Until he diagnosed my dad's brother with a neck sprain that turned out to be brain cancer.

Change of subject = I will sometimes uses baby utensils to eat with.  I wished it worked as well as I thought it would.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #468 on: September 13, 2018, 04:26:14 PM »
Change of subject = I will sometimes uses baby utensils to eat with.  I wished it worked as well as I thought it would.
Once tried small dishes; that didn't work for me either. :laugh:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #469 on: September 13, 2018, 05:52:26 PM »
Once tried small dishes; that didn't work for me either. :laugh:

My best try was to assume I had always over filled my plate and a vow to always leave some behind (very wasteful but a bit more waistful in practice) did more good than trying to fool myself in other ways.

I was raised by a mom who always insisted that I clean out my plate, no matter what. Eat it ALL!!! Getting past this trauma played a large part of controlling my weight as an aging adult.

Though trying to resist a begging dog's precious face and not make them too fat by giving them all the left overs was another challenge. Those eyes!! I usually just gave them one bite of "the good stuff" and quickly got the rest out of the house, away from their sniffy senses.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #470 on: September 13, 2018, 06:20:29 PM »
I tried to find a particular stream of this gal's work to post and came up short. She, Iliza Shlesinger,  is on Netflix, if you have access, with her latest, "Elder Millennial" stand up. She claims to be oldest living millennial. This is some funny schtick!

I think this babe ROCKS!  Here is a taste:

« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 06:40:01 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #471 on: September 13, 2018, 08:26:55 PM »
Didn't hear a word she said.

I was too preoccupied with the idea of her lips around my schlong.   :squit:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #472 on: September 13, 2018, 08:45:36 PM »

Ah, shit, did I forget to warn you that she is kinda hawt? Sorry, pal.
 :tard:

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #473 on: September 15, 2018, 10:46:37 AM »
A bus filled with politicians was driving through the countryside one day, on the campaign trail. The bus driver, caught up in the beautiful scenery,loses control and crashes into the ditch. A farmer living nearby hears the horrible crash and rushes out to discover the wreckage. Finding the politicians, he buries them.

The next day, the police come to the farm to question the man. "So you buried all the politicians?" asked the police officer. "Were they all dead?"

The farmer answered, "Some said they weren't, but you know how politicians lie."

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #474 on: September 15, 2018, 03:53:11 PM »
DD-thats great. There can't be many GPs these days who would so much as bother to give a wounded animal an antiseptic wipe. Difficult enough to get house calls, I  have, but only in situations where hospital/ambulance treatment is definitely not needed, but at the same time, I was completely unable to move off the sofa (to the point of having to piss in empty coke bottles and hope to fuck  I didn't have to drop a Theresa May before I had healed)

But fucking hell, that is one great doctor, for spending over two hours,even after running out of thread to stitch your dog's wounds, giving the dog pain relief,  I wish doctors these days were all like that; that it were the rule instead of the exception.

Makes me reminded somewhat of a doctor I used to have (he retired,due to severe depression)

At the time, I had a real problem with benzos, started  with severe anxiety, led to something nastier by far. He helped me detox, by giving me a large bottle of chlormethiazole. The dr in question knew I was a chemist and pharmacologist with an excellent knowledge of toxicology.  Its an antiquated sedative-hypnotic, that acts very much like the barbiturates do, and is very, very intolerant of overdoses. At the time, the benzo problem I had, it was going to leave me dead, probably sooner rather than later.

And I'm pretty sure that his detox method was based on 'kill or cure', either I'd manage the unsupervised taper, knowing the nature  of the drug being used for the purpose, or I would die, much sooner, although quickly and painlessly, just KO and never wake up.

I went on one binge, initially, thought 'last time, and I'm done', for two or three days, just chilling, smoking hash, getting plenty rest in before the hardship, although it turned out, physically, there was to be no horrific benzo withdrawal hell, the chlormethiazole worked wonderfully.

He knew, I'm fucking certain he knew, that I'd go on a binge, once at least. And in really high doses over a protracted period of time (I.e several days), a metabolite, or metabolites,  build up in the body. Chlormethiazole, chemically speaking, is a vitamin B1 (thiamine) derivative, made by cleavage of B1 using sodium bisulfite or metabisulfite, and CAREFULLY removing the other fragment, there being a vast difference in the water solubility of the 4-methylthiazole-2-ethanol cleavage fragment which is desired, and the water solubility of the pyrimidine half of the thiamine molecule. The substituted pyrimidine bit is just plain outright fucking virulently noxious stuff. It throws a spanner in the works of biochemical processes that require vitamin B6 as a cofactor; which among other  things, includes biosynthesis of the  neurotransmitter GABA, which is, aside from the less major of a player; glycine, the only inhibitory neurotransmitter we've got. And the result of poisoning by toxopyrimidine, as the compound is named, is neurotoxicity and it is a very potent, powerful convulsant.

Really, really nasty stuff.

Anyhow, the thia- bit in 'thiamine' denotes there is a sulfur atom in there, which there  is. And the metabolite or metabolites, are no problem at clinical doses or recreational doses that aren't protracted (acutely in the quantity required would just kill you), but if taken in really large doses over several days, this AWFUL sulfurous stinker of a metabolite is produced in the body, and it comes out in everything...EVERYthing.

Piss, shit, saliva, sweat, tear fluid, earwax, even nasal fluid! it comes out of everything and anything that can be exreted. And its potent enough, stench wise, to make people quite literally, from a few hundred meters down the street, turn round, cross the road and sprint in the opposite direction.

And there is absolutely fuck all you can do about it, you can't get rid of it. You have to wait until it has all gone of its own accord. No amount of bathing, showering, deodorant, nothing on the face this earth will get rid of it that won't also exterminate the  host.

Result? his  kill-or-cure last ditch effort, plus aversion therapy (I.e the heinous mercaptan-type stygian reek from Tartarus's own sewers), it saved  my life, got me off the benzos with no physical withdrawal whatsoever, and I'm no longer a psychological addict to downers either. Many users of many drugs find that even a tiny taste of whatever it is they used before stopping using whatever it was results in them ending up right back where they started; an former alcoholic has a pint, and bam! full blown habit, 2 liters of vodka a day plus a 5th in the morning and middle of the night just to keep from seizure.

But I can use GABAa agonists when I need them (and I DO need them, chlormethiazole as it happens, although I also have a benzo script (nitrazepam), because have seizures, and I need  an anticonvulsant, the nitrazepam I  take considerably less often than the rx says to take them, I take a much higher dose, much much MUCH less often, no more than a couple of times a week, it just takes quite a hefty dose of most downers to actually put me out,  always  has been that way-not only have I not much of a sleep cycle, but my body doesn't seem to want to be MADE to sleep either.

Definitely prehistoric-oldschool that doctor. Didn't fuck about, didn't stigmatize patients with needs for things like pain control, made sure what needed to be  done, was done. And he  CERTAINLY would never permit medical or government politicking to affect how he treated patients. He did what the patients needed him to do to provide the best medical care he could provide.

I don't doubt that if anybody else knew, about what he did in my case, he'd have not only been fired, but quite probably prosecuted and potentially sent to jail for negligent attempted manslaughter if there is such a thing. But we both knew  how things were going to play out if I kept on as I had been going. He didn't give me any warning of the terrible sulfurous mercaptan or alkyl/aryl sulfide whatever the fucking pus-slobbering smallpox-infected corpse of baby jesus weeping damnable abomination of a metabolite was. One of  the vilest and most powerful chemical stenches I have  ever smelled. I have smelled things  that were worse, or could carry further, but that one was up there as one of the very worst of the worst. Can't compare to say,  pyridine up close (it doesn't have the tremendous RANGE that the sulfurous chlormethiazole metabolite does but its truly foul, like acrid rotting fish thrown onto a stack of burning car tyres soaked in stagnating piss, a single drop in a liter of water is more than enough to make you retch if you were to take a sniff, if not actually blow chunks all over the floor), or worse still, an isocyanide (they are NOTORIOUS, a considerable number of chemists,both in a salaried position, and those who are autodidacts who freelance, isocyanides generally lack the lethal toxicity of cyanides, but they REALLY stink something foul. I've read a quote for  example where someone was describing them, and they said 'there mere opening of a flask of allyl isocyanide was enough to foul up the room for several days'

Along with plenty of references saying 'indescribably  foul and extremely distressing'. Which is somewhat colourful and rather  strong descriptive language for a salaried 'in officialdom' chemist.  Although its true, they do indeed defy description, there  just isn't anything else like  them, they are in a unique category of  horrendously offensive reserved for isocyanides and isocyanides alone. And extremely distressing,utterly foul, doesn't do them justice. Has to be smelled to be comprehended. Not a foul stench, but a brutal physical and sexual assault upon one's nose and olfactory bulb. Nasal fucking gang rape by gyppos. Only not nearly so desirable or tolerable.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #475 on: September 16, 2018, 09:37:16 AM »
 Returning to the focus of this thread:

AMEN The only part of a prayer that everyone knows.
BULLETIN Your receipt for attending Mass.
CHOIR A group of people whose singing allows the rest of the Parish to lip-sync.
HOLY WATER A liquid whose chemical formula is H2OLY.
HYMN A song of praise usually sung in a key three octaves higher than that of the congregation's range.
RECESSIONAL HYMN The last song at Mass often sung a little more quietly, since most of the people have already left.
INCENSE Holy Smoke!
JESUITS An order of priests known for their ability to found colleges with good basketball teams.
JONAH The original "Jaws" story.
JUSTICE When kids have kids of their own.
KYRIE ELEISON The only Greek words that most Catholics can recognize besides gyros and baklava.
MAGI The most famous trio to attend a baby shower.
MANGER Where Mary gave birth to Jesus because Joseph wasn't covered by an HMO. Holiday travel has always been rough.
PEW A medieval torture device still found in Catholic churches.
PROCESSION The ceremonial formation at the beginning of Mass consisting of altar servers, the celebrant, and late parishioners looking for seats.
RECESSIONAL The ceremonial procession at the conclusion of Mass led by parishioners trying to beat the crowd to the parking lot.
RELICS People who have been going to Mass for so long, they actually know when to sit, kneel, and stand.
TEN COMMANDMENTS The most important Top Ten list not given by David Letterman.
USHERS The only people in the parish who don't know the seating capacity of a pew.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #476 on: September 17, 2018, 09:23:01 AM »
Who cleans the bottom of the ocean? A Mer-Maid

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #477 on: September 18, 2018, 12:17:26 PM »
You know who you are.

YOU MAY BE DRINKING TOO MUCH COFFEE IF…
If the local coffee shop has awarded you “Employee of the Month” and you don’t even work there, you may be drinking too much coffee.

If other people get dizzy when they look at you, and Starbucks holds the deed on your house, you may be drinking too much coffee.

If you can thread a sewing machine while it is running and your first aid kit includes coffee for an I.V. drip, then you may be drinking too much coffee.

If you answer the door before someone knocks on it, you may be drinking too much coffee!

If you grind your coffee beans with your teeth, you may be drinking too much coffee!

If you name your cats Cream and Sugar, and your first child Juan Valdez, you may be drinking too much coffee.

If you have a picture of your favorite coffee mug on your favorite coffee mug, you may be drinking too much coffee.

If you sleep with your eyes open, watch videos in fast-forward, and lick your coffeepot clean, you may be drinking too much coffee.

If you buy half-and-half by the gallon, wore out your coffee mug handle, and you don’t sweat but instead percolate, then you may be drinking too much coffee.

If you’re favorite part of getting inebriated is sobering up with a cup of coffee, you may be drinking too much coffee.

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #478 on: September 18, 2018, 07:08:09 PM »

Ah, shit, did I forget to warn you that she is kinda hawt? Sorry, pal.
 :tard:

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #479 on: September 18, 2018, 07:11:09 PM »
Oh, and...