Educational

Author Topic: The Tragedy in Las Vegas  (Read 11534 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: The Tragedy in Las Vegas
« Reply #375 on: November 17, 2018, 03:32:05 PM »
Pappy, provide a link to what was actually said and I'll tell you whether I'm outraged or not.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/25/politics/maxine-waters-trump-officials/index.html

That's sort of old news now. Look at the date. But I'm outraged.

I just wish they'd shoot Trump.

Yes killing people with differing ideological opinions is a rational and well-educated response, Herr Odeon.

He doesn't have an ideology. He's an opportunist and a moron. You know, a bit like you, only more successful.

And I firmly believe that the world would be a better place without him.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #376 on: November 17, 2018, 07:41:15 PM »
I don't like Trump, but I don't wish him killed.  :thumbdn:
:gopher:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #377 on: November 18, 2018, 03:07:46 AM »
I don't generally wish people to be killed but in Trump's case, I'm happy to make an exception. The rest of the world would benefit.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #378 on: November 18, 2018, 10:05:20 AM »
I don't generally wish people to be killed but in Trump's case, I'm happy to make an exception. The rest of the world would benefit.

Better off how? What has Trump done to the rest of the world that his successor wouldn't perpetuate?  :dunno:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #379 on: November 18, 2018, 02:32:16 PM »

Better off how? What has Trump done to the rest of the world that his successor wouldn't perpetuate?  :dunno:

So many reasons, but perhaps most importantly that he's dangerously volatile, a compulsive liar, easily insulted, and not well read. I very much doubt they can find a successor with all of these "qualities".

The Trump administration and Authentic Trump co-exist in an exhausting tension. One day Trump suggests that he might step away from Nato; the next he insists that he would not do so. One day he sides explicitly with Theresa May’s Brexit critics, while her guest; the next he gives her fulsome support. This tension might be manageable so long as the key institutions are not damaged irretrievably, and the situation is not aggravated by some unexpected crisis.

Meanwhile, inflammatory rhetoric and even half-baked policy initiatives still have corrosive effects. They have already changed the way that the country is viewed by those many allies for which the United States was a friend, partner and protector.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #380 on: November 18, 2018, 03:40:28 PM »

So many reasons, but perhaps most importantly that he's dangerously volatile, a compulsive liar, easily insulted, and not well read. I very much doubt they can find a successor with all of these "qualities".

The Trump administration and Authentic Trump co-exist in an exhausting tension. One day Trump suggests that he might step away from Nato; the next he insists that he would not do so. One day he sides explicitly with Theresa May’s Brexit critics, while her guest; the next he gives her fulsome support. This tension might be manageable so long as the key institutions are not damaged irretrievably, and the situation is not aggravated by some unexpected crisis.

Meanwhile, inflammatory rhetoric and even half-baked policy initiatives still have corrosive effects. They have already changed the way that the country is viewed by those many allies for which the United States was a friend, partner and protector.

A politician who lies and talks out of both sides of their mouth? Go figure. The stuff you said and quoted seems mostly about people being offended, why people don't like him, or how the world views the US. That's not a good reason to call for death.  :dunno:

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #381 on: November 18, 2018, 04:55:15 PM »
https://www.newstatesman.com/world/north-america/2018/07/trump-vs-world
That was good article, and it does identify something Trump has done to the rest of the world. He's made them nervous, but personally think that could be happening with or without him. It's easy to associate the actions of a country to the leader, but this article identifies that unease is based in actions of the US as a nation, which may speak to the direction of the future even after Trump is no longer in office. The author recognizes, while Trump may say things to question contributions from allies and if alliances serve US interests, the big picture may be more about the world adjusting to the US taking a less active world leadership role. Have long said the US has had a role to play over the past two decades, a role as the bad guy. While the US has been long and harshly criticized as the bad-guy busy-body who should mind their own business, this article seems to speculate that era may be winding to an end, and other countries may be nervous at the idea of the US not minding their business for them. Maybe it's not such a bad thing.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #382 on: November 18, 2018, 06:05:21 PM »

... a compulsive liar...

Like Pence isn't? I think I'd prefer one who wasn't actually good at it.

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #383 on: November 18, 2018, 07:21:48 PM »
To build a successful career as a politician you need to be good at lying. At least in the vast majority of cases, there are always outliers.

Now Trump never built a successful career as a politician. In the "career" that led him to politics, his utterances were not subject to anywhere near as much scrutiny. He had lawyers to go over anything he signed and could be held accountable for. But in terms of what came out of his mouth, he could basically make it up as he went along.

I'm like Cal. I prefer someone like Trump who is very bad at lying to someone who is very good at lying. I prefer someone like Trump who says what he is thinking rather than someone who is adept at saying one thing, signalling another, and meaning something else again.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #384 on: November 18, 2018, 09:34:17 PM »
There's another side though - the cheeto in chief is probably doing more damage in other ways
than little miss prissy would on his own.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #385 on: November 18, 2018, 11:27:04 PM »
His machinations in respect to NATO got a bunch of countries who were shamelessly not paying their obligations to pay.

Same as his "dangerous talk" with North Korea. Having a positive effect.

His zero tolerance policy with ISIS being "problematic" but ultimately fine.

His Putin praising whilst arming Ukraine, sanctioning Russia and expelling Russian diplomats.

And yes Theresa May too.

None of this makes him dangerous. It is a boring narrative that only the dishonest promote and the stupid believe.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #386 on: November 19, 2018, 12:35:16 AM »

A politician who lies and talks out of both sides of their mouth? Go figure. The stuff you said and quoted seems mostly about people being offended, why people don't like him, or how the world views the US. That's not a good reason to call for death.  :dunno:

This combination is a very dangerous one, to your country and to pretty much the entire globe.

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #387 on: November 19, 2018, 12:36:42 AM »

... a compulsive liar...

Like Pence isn't? I think I'd prefer one who wasn't actually good at it.

Didn't say he wasn't.

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #388 on: November 19, 2018, 12:41:47 AM »
To build a successful career as a politician you need to be good at lying. At least in the vast majority of cases, there are always outliers.

Now Trump never built a successful career as a politician. In the "career" that led him to politics, his utterances were not subject to anywhere near as much scrutiny. He had lawyers to go over anything he signed and could be held accountable for. But in terms of what came out of his mouth, he could basically make it up as he went along.

I'm like Cal. I prefer someone like Trump who is very bad at lying to someone who is very good at lying. I prefer someone like Trump who says what he is thinking rather than someone who is adept at saying one thing, signalling another, and meaning something else again.

His lying in itself is not a problem. He's piss-poor at it. In combination with all those other traits, however... Basically, the world's most powerful country has a man-child in charge. Think Al with power.

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #389 on: November 19, 2018, 12:43:27 AM »
His machinations in respect to NATO got a bunch of countries who were shamelessly not paying their obligations to pay.

Same as his "dangerous talk" with North Korea. Having a positive effect.

His zero tolerance policy with ISIS being "problematic" but ultimately fine.

His Putin praising whilst arming Ukraine, sanctioning Russia and expelling Russian diplomats.

And yes Theresa May too.

None of this makes him dangerous. It is a boring narrative that only the dishonest promote and the stupid believe.

You actually believe this stuff, don't you? Honestly, I don't know what to say.

- Albert Einstein