Educational

Author Topic: What do you need?  (Read 523 times)

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
What do you need?
« on: January 16, 2017, 02:42:49 PM »
  I need a catalyst.  :nerd!:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
Re: What do you need?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 06:18:45 AM »

Once it got you going, will you send it to me?
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 06:25:27 AM »
I need a better brain. One that can retain memories better than this one can. :-\
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 06:36:47 AM »

If I find something that works :pow: I will post it somewhere!

People forget.

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Delicious and refreshing.
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 12:34:07 PM »

If I find something that works :pow: I will post it somewhere!

I love that :pow: icon. I have a keyring that says, "Bang!"
:dog:

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 03:16:50 AM »
What kind of catalyst CBC?

I should be able to get you most. Raney nickel, possibly raney cobalt, plad cat (Pd/C 5%, 10%) plat cat, platinum on carbon, Urushibara catalysts, Adam's, Lindlar, tetrakis, for a fair price of course, based on metal content for precious metal based ones in the platinum group. What did you have in mind for reducing? might even be able to do the work for you again, trying to start up a business. If you had something in mind?

And there are often cheaper ways to accomplish reduction cleanly using hydrides like lithium aluminium hydride, Red-Al, borohydrides, STAB (sodium triacetoxyborohydride), cyanoborohydride, sodium or potassium hydrides etc. Fast, if in many cases pyrophoric. Borohydrides are the friendliest, and STAB, heard good things indeed about Red-Al as well. The hydrides are MUCH cheaper than all those palladium, platinum, rhodium, ruthenium, iridium etc. based catalysts, and unlike the other hydrides, not pyrophoric, nor afaik, unlike Raney metals, the Urushibara cats are meant to be pretty versatile. Whats your substrate and what do you want it reducing to? Selectivity needed? I can suggest things I am sure.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 08:01:12 AM »
What kind of catalyst CBC?

I should be able to get you most. Raney nickel, possibly raney cobalt, plad cat (Pd/C 5%, 10%) plat cat, platinum on carbon, Urushibara catalysts, Adam's, Lindlar, tetrakis, for a fair price of course, based on metal content for precious metal based ones in the platinum group. What did you have in mind for reducing? might even be able to do the work for you again, trying to start up a business. If you had something in mind?

And there are often cheaper ways to accomplish reduction cleanly using hydrides like lithium aluminium hydride, Red-Al, borohydrides, STAB (sodium triacetoxyborohydride), cyanoborohydride, sodium or potassium hydrides etc. Fast, if in many cases pyrophoric. Borohydrides are the friendliest, and STAB, heard good things indeed about Red-Al as well. The hydrides are MUCH cheaper than all those palladium, platinum, rhodium, ruthenium, iridium etc. based catalysts, and unlike the other hydrides, not pyrophoric, nor afaik, unlike Raney metals, the Urushibara cats are meant to be pretty versatile. Whats your substrate and what do you want it reducing to? Selectivity needed? I can suggest things I am sure.

Not that kind.  I mean a figurative catalyst, a kick of motivation.  :apondering:

People forget.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 11:01:35 AM »
Bend over then :P

(it could come in two forms. I'd sooner not the option involving a foot:P)

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 10:08:52 AM »
  I need plans.  I need daily lists.  I need to break down my dreams into little baby steps.  :apondering:

People forget.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2017, 01:22:36 PM »
To put about £300 into the bank.

To buy some TCCA (trichloroisocyanuric acid)
More sodium hydroxide and potassium hydroxide, potassium bicarbonate (I go for the bicarbonates rather than carbonates, as its easy to roast the former to obtain the latter if a stronger base is needed than xHCO3)

Either some benzylamine, dibenzylamine or certain aminoacids so I can test a synthesis I've been putting together in my head and gathering references for.

A lot of solvents, because I'm running really low on most.
Running low on I2 (iodine, that is, obviously I'm still here:P). I think I'll use what I have left to make some methyl, ethyl and isopropyl iodide via the classic red phosphorus-iodine catalysed halogenation of alcohols (one adds to a round-bottom flask the appropriate quantities of the alcohol of choice, some iodine, and then a catalytic quantity of (red) phosphorus, on an ice-bath with stirring, slowly adding red phos down the condenser. Its similar to the reaction used to make meth from pseudoephedrine or ephedrine by those such as who'd do that, in that it works by setting up a catalytic cycle in which the unstable (and un-storeable afaik) phosphorus triiodide, PI3 is generated in-situ, a highly reactive halogenating agent, which adds iodine to the alcohol, and then the PI3 hydrolyses, reforming red phosphorus and the alkyl iodide of choice, depending on what alcohol you used, then immediately reacting with some more of the iodine, reforming PI3 in-situ once again, and beginning a new catalytic cycle. It isn't 100% efficient, as PI3 is volatile, and you'll lose SOME with vaporization, but at the end, you even get your red phosphorus back, which for those many hobbyists who have great difficulty obtaining red phosphorus is a blessing, at least you get back the vast majority of what you used, some probably going astray due to mechanical means, and then doing a quench at the end to deliberately hydrolyse any remaining PI3 back to phosphorus, adding a little extra alcohol first, in order to have a slight excess of the starting alcohol then the quench to split up any remaining PI3 to recover your red phosphorus with a high atomic efficiency based upon the RP, which for most, is going to be the limiting reagent.

The same happens, albeit with formation of hydriodic acid due to water being added in small amount if someone were to instead of producing simple alkyl iodides, MeI, EtI etc. running the rxn on pseudoephedrine, and HI is a powerful reducing agent, continuously formed in-situ, and reducing the iodide of the hydroxyl group of the ephedrine/pseudoephedrines to the hydrocarbon, which is how that particular breaking-bad naughtiness works (albeit with a competing side reaction at higher temperatures than the reaction is generally intended to run at, which results in the formation of an phenylalkylaziridine, although aziridines are unstable usually, and the one that would result, apparently is. Unstable and toxic, but it apparently breaks down when thoroughly heated but not too much, to give the same product, I.e crank.)

But I'm after methyl iodide instead, not iodinating and reducing (pseudo/)ephedrine and ethyl, propyl and isopropyl iodides, as well as running it on phenol to give iodobenzene. Its all in all a quite elegant, compact little catalytic cycle, and for those of the red phosphorus-ly challenged, a good way to do it because of the catalytic nature, with the P being essential in allowing the reaction to proceed, but being for the most part recoverable, some phosphorous acid, H3PO3 being the side pathway that results in the small losses of elemental red P. Even then, H3PO3 is useful itself as a reducing agent, although I've never actually had cause to use it, it isn't something I'd throw away, but rather, would form phosphite salts from which if desirable to do so, H3PO3 can be regenerated using HCl or other non-oxidizing acids (since I like to recycle as much of my laboratory waste as possible rather than having it disposed of altogether. Aside from polymeric nasty organic tarry crap, which often is a generic 'muck' left during organic reactions, and often as not is unsalvageable for any use known to man apart from pissing off organic chemists:P then there's still generally recoverable useful reagents to be made from wastes of SOME sort. Even if its just something like isolating a potentially useful transition metal, just like one would recycle for example, scrap copper pipe or lead metal, if it is economical, then there's something in there to be had, usually, that makes it worth refining the purified waste for element reclamation in some form or another.

(I aim to be both as environmentally friendly as possible, throw out as little useable scraps as possible or byproducts that can be made into useable something-or-others as I may, and keep my wallet closed as tightly as possible. When all three can be brought into line and made to happen so much the better.)

In principle, like going through the dustbin and pulling out your empty ready meal trays, microwaving them backwards in time and reconstructing another TV dinner. (actually in a manner of speaking, with polystyrene packing such as bottles and boxes and tubs of chemicals often come packed in, it can be depolymerized with heat in a tin can-type retort, since it WILL produce plenty of crud of an unsaveable kind that would gunk up a flask something nasty, so disposable, or at least blow-torcheable welded/brazed sheet steel can serve for that kind of thing, doing a destructive distillation on styrofoam packing:D and vinylbenzene/styrene monomer being distilled back off and recovered, quite literally turning evem the packaging your last reagents came in into something useful, PET bottles, I should think could be recycled to terepthalic acid.)

Cardboard? good mushroom-growing substrate for plenty pretty good edible species, with a few nutrients added. Little goes into the actual landfill and chemical disposal sites at the dump if I can help it. Although I admit, the cardboard and paper waste generally ends up just being thrown in the recycle (and probably shipped to china and dumped in a stinking landfill heap:autism:) because of the effort, but if I already wanted to grow some kind of fungi and have a use, then I'd be up for doing that bit of recycling myself.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2017, 04:36:58 PM »
I need staff. :M

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2017, 04:34:47 AM »
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2017, 03:24:15 PM »
  I badly need another coffee.  I can't go to bed at 5:30 p.m., I just can't!  :yawn:

People forget.

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2017, 07:43:35 PM »
I need a clone so real me can rest while cloned me does the cooking and cleaning.
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2017, 07:48:13 PM »
I need a clone so real me can rest while cloned me does the cooking and cleaning.

Two of you would be some next-level awesomeness.  :)

People forget.