Author Topic: Starsigns!  (Read 5155 times)

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Bake Sale Coordinator of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: Starsigns!
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2007, 01:29:09 PM »
1986 is the year of the Tiger, but because I was born so early in Feb I'm techinically an Ox.  I took a test once to see what chinese year I should have been born in and came out Ox, much to my surprise.  I always thought I was more tiger.

That would make me an ox too. I just looked it up, and the ox sounds like me.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2007, 01:32:25 PM »
Remember the selection bias here; people who are or who know people born in January are more likely to mention it than people who are or who know people born in other months.

Yeah, I remember, and agree. There's no known correlation here--I'm reasonably sure that the ASD researchers would have been very quick to note it.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2007, 01:45:06 PM »
Although...

Numerous studies suggest that seasonal birth may play a pathogenic role in the development of mental disorders. A birth excess of 10% during winter and spring has been shown in schizophrenia. The few studies carried out on affective disorders revealed a significant increase of births in the first quarter of the year in bipolar disorders and major depressive disorder. Subjects with seasonal affective disorder show a peak of births in May. Data on personality, eating and 'neurotic' disorders are less consistent. At the moment there are no data in the literature about anxiety disorders.

Several other chronic diseases associated with vitamin D deficiency are unusually common
– in particular schizophrenia, autism, diabetes
and multiple sclerosis. Extensive research on
schizophrenia in immigrants has established
that the higher incidence of the disease in immigrants
is not the result of faulty or prejudiced
diagnosis, nor is it the result of “inherited weakness”
– the disease is no more common in the
general population living in the West Indies than
it is here among whites.
Not just immigrants but most people in the
UK are vulnerable to these diseases because
we exist on such minimal amounts of vitamin D.
Any small event or difference in lifestyle such as
a poor summer, bad weather during the summer
holidays, working on the night shift, or avoidance
of the sun through an exaggerated fear
of skin cancer can reduce our vitamin D level
and make us more vulnerable to any of these
diseases. For example, several studies have
shown that women who work night shifts are
at increased risk of developing breast cancer.
Less sunlight around the time of a baby’s birth
may increase a child’s risk of schizophrenia later
in life according to an Australian study. While
several other studies have shown that people
who develop schizophrenia, multiple sclerosis
or autism are more likely to be born in the winter
or early spring months.

The nervous system of the developing baby may be damaged in other ways by vitamin D deficiency. Other diseases which occur more frequently than would be expected in babies born in winter or early spring are autism, Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, and MS. The cause of these diseases is still being hotly debated by experts but vitamin D deficiency is one theory that is gaining increasing support. Like schizophrenia, these diseases may appear to be more strongly inherited than they really are because family members influence each other in the way they seek or avoid the sun.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2007, 01:57:15 PM »
This is certainly not the first study to link
particular traits with seasons of birth. Previous
research has suggested the month in which a
person is born can make him or her more prone
to autism, depression, dyslexia and schizophrenia.
It can even increase the chances of
being left-handed.
But why should this be? “There could be several
factors,” said Dr Joinson of the Open
University’s department of Biological Sciences,
whose research was funded by the Leverhulme
Trust. “Characteristics could be shaped by,
say, social surroundings, or temperature, or
nutrition, or whether a mother is prone to infection,
but certainly one credible cause is the
turnover of dopamine in the brain.”
The chemical, which produces sensations of
pleasure and carries messages between the
brain cells, is already known to be associated
with certain conditions – an excess may result
in schizophrenia and a paucity can contribute
to Parkinson’s disease. And interestingly,
dopamine levels have been shown to be
higher in individuals born in winter.
“This has been suggested to be due to the
length of photoperiod (the amount of light in
a 24-hour period) during gestation or
early neonatal development,” says Dr Joinson.
“The link may even go back to the moment of
conception.”
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2007, 02:18:40 PM »
Seems like I was correct, though. Most aspies on the board were born in January. It's pretty unusual to be born in January, but here it's the most common month of birth...

Those born in January are late bloomer's spring fever babies.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2007, 02:26:02 PM »
i'm an aquarius too. and Peter is one too. :P and my dad, also an aspie, is an aquarius too. there seem to be a lot of aspie aquarii.

i was born feb 4th 1983, no idea what time. what's my moon sign and chinese horoscope?
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2007, 02:31:40 PM »
Whether you believe them or not, I am curious about what starsign people are and whether they fit the supposed descriptions of said starsign...moonsigns would be nice too, but most don't know theirs... with DOB I can easily look these up. Astrology is one of my on/off consuming interests.

I am Taurus with a pisces moon anyways.

astrology is one of my special interests, too. I'm a capricorn with a pisces moon.

Cool, will have to have a discussion about it sometime maybe. I am also very interested in numerology, the mayan calendar and such things, although I have not gone into as much depth as I would like to with them. I have terrible difficulty focussing most of the time.. wonder if I have add or something too

I used to study all of this stuff in depth, but not so much anymore. The mayan calendar sounds interesting, too. I've always been fascinated with the Mayans.

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2007, 02:39:12 PM »
Aren't very many aspies Aquariuses or at least born in January or February?  Most people are born in June and July, I think.  ???

I'm aquarius; Jan 25th.

I know one Swedish aspie girl who was born on Jan 25th, one girl that I suspect having AS who was born on Jan 25th and one guy who I suspect is an aspie who was born on Jan 27th. I was born on Jan 26th...

That *is* a bit creepy. I was born on Jan 28, and I don't believe in that shit!
My AS daughter was born on january 28.

Whoa. My favorite singer/idol growing up was born on January 28, and I've always suspected he was an aspie.

Litigious

« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2007, 02:43:52 PM »
January seems to be the Aspie Month and Aquarius the Aspie Starsign.  8)

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2007, 02:58:45 PM »
nuh uh, february is also an aspie month! oh yeah, and i know someone else who is also an aspie and born in feb, besides me and my dad...
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Litigious

« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2007, 03:01:31 PM »
OK, but the winter months seem to be the months when most aspies are being born, anyway.

Scrapheap

« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2007, 03:02:36 PM »
Most people are born in August or September...........you know, Cabin Fever!!! :bananas:

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2007, 03:14:26 PM »
OK, but the winter months seem to be the months when most aspies are being born, anyway.

If you expand the definition that much, to include the whole winter, both my kids will be included. My daughter, born in late December, and my son, born in early March are winter babies ... and I'm a late bloomer with spring fever, right now.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2007, 03:38:13 PM »
Peter, I knew I should have added "as far as I know" to my statement above... :laugh: +
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2007, 03:47:14 PM »
Another January Aquarius is Sean. He was born on January 29th.

A lot of aspies are capricorns too. Lucifer's a capricorn, but I don't know if she was born in December or January.