Author Topic: OK, who else here does this?  (Read 622 times)

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
OK, who else here does this?
« on: November 01, 2016, 02:58:47 PM »
  For many years, I've made videos in my head while listening to music.  I love to imagine action that's
  rhythmically and emotionally matched to the music and lyrics.  I've come up with original stories,
  some of which have had me in tears, because I grieve better when listening to music that moves me. 
  Some of my videos are exciting action/adventure stories as well.  Currently I'm listening to

and making up a video in my head using quick cuts from Jurassic World.  I'm leaving out the gore,
  keeping it more light-hearted and exciting, with some elements of humor.  I know lots of people make
  tribute videos like this on YouTube, I just wonder if anyone here does this in his or her imagination.  8)
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Delicious and refreshing.
Re: OK, who else here does this?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 03:36:15 PM »
All the time. I play the music in my head too if I can't access it. Most of my imagination features handsome men, or me trying to get out of a natural disaster. Or food...

And yeh, music really helps to "play" out emotions.
:dog:

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 03:49:42 PM »
  For many years, I've made videos in my head while listening to music.  I love to imagine action that's
  rhythmically and emotionally matched to the music and lyrics.  I've come up with original stories,
  some of which have had me in tears, because I grieve better when listening to music that moves me. 
  Some of my videos are exciting action/adventure stories as well.  Currently I'm listening to

and making up a video in my head using quick cuts from Jurassic World.  I'm leaving out the gore,
  keeping it more light-hearted and exciting, with some elements of humor.  I know lots of people make
  tribute videos like this on YouTube, I just wonder if anyone here does this in his or her imagination.  8)

I do it a lot!   8)
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 05:11:41 PM »
All the time. I play the music in my head too if I can't access it. Most of my imagination features handsome men, or me trying to get out of a natural disaster. Or food...

And yeh, music really helps to "play" out emotions.

I play music in my head too, I love having a great song stuck in my mind!  My videos
  often include heroic escapes too, sometimes in a helicopter.  What kind of foods do you picture?  8)

People forget.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 05:13:11 PM »
I do it a lot!   8)

I'm glad.  It brings me a lot of joy.  :2thumbsup:

People forget.

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 06:03:27 PM »
Nope don't really do the videos. But my mind does often insert appropriate soundtrcks to whatever's happening right now.

Eg. this is the soundtrack that popped into my head on reading this thread:

On the other hand, this is a very visual song, with something of a story to it, and I get a jumble of visual images in my head to go along with it, but they don't have the conherence of a video.  I don't think in images, especially, like some people do, nor in words, but rather in an interconnected   mass of abstact thoughts, various sensory impressions, memories,  etc;  music often features quite heavily, and snatches of poetry. I don't follow action very easily at all (my brain is too slow , especially with visual-spatial processing) so the visual component  is more like a scattering of snapshots than a narrative.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 06:05:52 PM »
  I just wonder if anyone here does this in his or her imagination.  8)
Don't personally do it; though sounds rather meditative.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 06:17:56 PM »
Nope don't really do the videos. But my mind does often insert appropriate soundtrcks to whatever's happening right now.

On the other hand, this is a very visual song, with something of a story to it, and I get a jumble of visual images in my head to go along with it, but they don't have the conherence of a video.  I don't think in images, especially, like some people do, nor in words, but rather in an interconnected   mass of abstact thoughts, various sensory impressions, memories,  etc;  music often features quite heavily, and snatches of poetry. I don't follow action very easily at all (my brain is too slow , especially with visual-spatial processing) so the visual component  is more like a scattering of snapshots than a narrative.

I like to learn about how other brains work.  I read something awhile back about a guy who cannot
  visualize anything.  He basically has no memories of his past, since he can't "see" any scenes
  from the past in his mind.  He manages in conversation by having rehearsed, generic answers.  He
  never knew this was atypical till recently; then his mind was blown. 
  Mine was too, when I read his article.  I wish we all could describe how our brains work.  :orly:

People forget.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 06:22:38 PM »
  I just wonder if anyone here does this in his or her imagination.  8)
Don't personally do it; though sounds rather meditative.

I can make myself feel all kinds of things by choosing the right song and adding scenes.
  Sometimes I have to change the song because it's a work day and I need to cheer up instead of being  :emosad: .

People forget.

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Delicious and refreshing.
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2016, 06:58:36 PM »
I picture food that I'm craving, mostly, like moist warm chocolate fudge cake, served with cream and/or vanilla ice-cream, and drizzled with hot chocolate fudge sauce. Just spooning all that deep chocolately deliciousness into my mouth. Melted marshmallows too? Goodness! I'd have a sexy man come serve it all to me with cocktails and hmm...actually wait, they don't normally go with dessert. Oh well. Cocktails and cheese later on *droool*. And this sexy man would sing to me in the voice of George Michael.

And...what to cook next. :D
:dog:

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2016, 07:04:41 PM »

I like to learn about how other brains work.  I read something awhile back about a guy who cannot
  visualize anything.  He basically has no memories of his past, since he can't "see" any scenes
  from the past in his mind.  He manages in conversation by having rehearsed, generic answers.  He
  never knew this was atypical till recently; then his mind was blown. 
  Mine was too, when I read his article.  I wish we all could describe how our brains work.  :orly:

Oooh. Well I think that "rehearsed generic answers" thing is actually quite typical of aspies, for whatever reason. Hence the notorious "aspie monologues". By our age, we're so practiced at that, it can sound almost exactly like spontaneous speech. However,  I'd be surprised if any of us can actually do spontaneous speech. I'm partly going by the medical profiles here (ugh) but also by numerous conversations on this topic with numerous aspies; which all tend to lead me towards the conclusion that the doctors actually  have that part right (for a change)

For my own part, I'm effectively devoid of personal menories, whilst I'm trying to keep up with a conversation (They flood back in once I'm alone again)  The effort of keeping up overloads my brain, seems to me, so bits of me switch out- access to personal memories, in particular; often my emotions  too, body awareness (almost always switched out anyway), and awareness of my immediate environment   But I do maintain acess to an ever-increasing  number of "scripts"  in my memory,; that is things I've previously said, or else  considrered saying  to the point of rehearsing the words in my head.

On a good day, I can scan the scripts pretty fast and pull out the relevant sections, chop them about,  and even pull out a few closely associated memories. But that falls apart if my brain's under particular pressure, of if people ask me personal questions. I often can't answer tghe personal questions, because my memory is AWOL, and I don;'t have a relevant script for that (which situation I'm currently in the process of amending , as regards this scripting thing, as you see!  Otherwise, you'd be waiting years for this reply *chuckle*. I don't organise my thoughts and translate them into words very quickly at all, especially not on such challenging subjects as my own sweet brain). Worse, I can light on inappropriate scripts and reel them off, in the blithe belief that , if i said it before, it ,must be true. However, often  context is everything, just like say. eg when asked what was wrong with my PC, I once reeled off what was wrong with my old PC that had died 5 years previously. More embarrasingly, after declaring that I 'm "accident prone"  (that;'s easy. everybody know that) I was once asked to talk about my most recent accident, and to estimate how often i have accidents; I could not , for life of recall having a single accident ever.

Sometimes, i wish to god I were functionally dumb under pressure. but no such luck. Instead,  I turn into an ever-more dysfunctional script dispensing robot under pressure, and thoroughly stitch myself up. I don't even have the good sense to shut up (my good sense flies out of the window too)

I honestly believe I'm a pretty damned typical Aspie in that, but if you'd asked me a few years back, i couldn't have explained it  like that, not even to myself. The best i could have said was: I avoid interview  situations like the plague, because some-how -or-other I inevitably  screw them up.

Oh! re. the rollergirl song (in case you don't know it and didn't bother) the chorus goes:

"She gets rock n roll, a rock n roll station
And a rock n roll dream
She's making movies on location
She don't know what it means
But the music make her wanna be the story
And the story was whatever was the song what it was
Rollergirl don't worry
D.J. play the movies all night long"
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 07:06:19 PM by Walkie »

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2016, 08:27:42 PM »
I don't do this at all. Though sometimes I do get songs stuck in my head. But that's about it.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2016, 05:03:58 AM »
I picture food that I'm craving, mostly, like moist warm chocolate fudge cake, served with cream and/or vanilla ice-cream, and drizzled with hot chocolate fudge sauce. Just spooning all that deep chocolately deliciousness into my mouth. Melted marshmallows too? Goodness! I'd have a sexy man come serve it all to me with cocktails and hmm...actually wait, they don't normally go with dessert. Oh well. Cocktails and cheese later on *droool*. And this sexy man would sing to me in the voice of George Michael.

And...what to cook next. :D

George Michael could sound angelic when singing those high notes.  Marshmallows are also a win.  :drool:

People forget.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2016, 08:50:33 AM »
I can't do that.  :(  Probably why I like looking up the music videos for songs all the time. I replay the videos in my head.

Life for me does frequently have a sound track though or a literary reference. I'll see certain things and certain songs come to mind, or something from a book I've read.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2016, 09:42:51 AM »
For primarily being a visual learner, I don't do much visual thinking.

Come to think of it, I don't do much thinking, period.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv: