Educational

Author Topic: What did you do before you had meds?  (Read 2481 times)

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Re: What did you do before you had meds?
« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2016, 06:25:45 AM »
In disaster times I take my methylphenidate. I do sleep better when I take that. I tend to forget the afternoon dosage though. Worst dosage to forget.
If I don't take mine ongoing, things don't improve. At this point I am still a train wreck but should be better within the next few months. The afternoon dose for me not only helps with sleep, but makes the next morning better. It's like it helps the morning dose.

I admit that I am not the most productive member of society, but without meds I was losing my jobs. With meds I am able to hold a job and there are some students who are very happy to have been in my classes. My arguments are that there is actual suffering for people who don't get the meds they need, and that had there been a better intervention earlier in my life I might have been a lot more productive. I would not withhold those opportunities from anyone.

I take them a few weeks, if I don't forget. And when life is back to organised enough to be OK I quit again. I miss the creativity of the chaotic brain when on methylphenidate too long.

Wonder how I will get my new prescription. The doctor prescribing it to me had to stop, reaching a pensioners age in times of economizing. Now my GP should take over. Hope she will be willing to do that.
Oh! Of course I thought I was the only one. It is a true sadness of mine that society cannot accommodate my ADHD (and dyslexia). It is pretty awful to not have my chaotic brain, and I admit it is easier with less exacerbation of my dyslexia. I cannot find a happy medium. I used to leave mine off on weekends starting with Friday nights, and Saturday morning I would wake up, stare out my window and enjoy the wash of thoughts and ideas. In the ideal society there would be someone from my village standing there listening and recording everything.

But without the meds most of those thoughts get lost. With, I save maybe one to two percent and they make stories like the ones I write for nano or post here.

I hope you get your meds. Life is hell without them.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2016, 06:33:36 AM »
  I've thought a lot about the changing faces and labels of "disorders," and about the claim from
  some quarters that ADHD is an invented condition.  Maybe in 10 years it'll be called something
  else entirely.  :dunno:   I hope I can still get my meds, or find something OTC that does the same
  things for me that the meds do.  I'm definitely happier, more productive, less anxious on my
  medication.  My meds help me to get out of my own way.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 06:35:21 AM by couldbecousin »
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2016, 08:55:50 AM »
  I've thought a lot about the changing faces and labels of "disorders," and about the claim from
  some quarters that ADHD is an invented condition.  Maybe in 10 years it'll be called something
  else entirely.  :dunno:   I hope I can still get my meds, or find something OTC that does the same
  things for me that the meds do.  I'm definitely happier, more productive, less anxious on my

Did you get the DX MBD as a youngster?
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2016, 09:19:35 AM »
We are making a mistake.

These are discourse errors; the facts are important. We need to make a distinction between legal and illegal drugs and legal and illegal drug use, because this is where society makes the distinction and often puts legitimate drug users into the latter category. When we say drugs we have to make the distinction.

So to say that prescription Ritalin (methylphenidate, not an amphetamine) or Adderal (synthesized amphetamine) is "drugs" like uppers/speed is an error. Uppers and speed refer to illegally used or illegal drugs. If you get these on the street you could be buying any of a number of drugs including amphetamines, methylphenidate or ephedrine.

The relatively new idea that drugs taken when natural remedies would suffice has negative connotations, also ascribed to people who use medication at the suggestion of their doctors, most of whom have been trained to alleviate suffering but not in natural alternatives to drugs. This too is an error.  In Florida I had the benefit of having a doctor trained in both (I searched until I found one), and so for example was able to avoid prescription medications for a bad sinus infection.
An interesting note: MRSA is one of the results of abuse of antibiotics. No stigma there though, I think because antibiotics don't result in a "high."

Caffeine is legal, and so is alcohol. But abuse of these two substances outstrips the abuse of most other single substances in the U.S.A. But because they are legal, there is less stigma. Herbal supplements are legal, and until people start becoming ill or dying from them, no one tracks the incidence of abuse.

Some of the substances on this hit list:
Tryptophan - eosinophilia-myalgia syndrome (EMS), which can cause death (there is ongoing debate about this one)
St. John's Wort and Gingko - both blood thinners
Bitter Orange (used in place of ephedrine) - cardiac arrythmia
And my all time favorite: Grapefruit juice: it can either make meds too strong or not work at all. Go figure. Pomegranate juice has the same effect but it's not as strong as grapefruit juice, which I drank in prodigious amounts before I found out. A sadness of my life - pomegranates were another favorite.

The truth is that nearly anything can be abused. Most medications are synthesized versions of things people have been using for centuries. When I lived in Northampton I took a natural remedy called White Willow Bark. Almost no one takes it because the synthesized version - aspirin - was cheaper to make.

Amphetamines and methamphetamines come from natural medicines. Amphetamines were used for people with asthma at first, but people began taking the inhalers apart and getting high. There was military use of both in one of the world wars.

I used guarana thinking that it was a caffeine enhancer but actually it is an amphetamine. There are a couple of herbal remedies that also are amphetamines, but I don't think any are as commonly used (outside of athletics) as guarana. Carnitine is one of them. Cathione (known as Khat) is banned in the U.S., but widely used in other countries. Methamphetamine comes from ma huang, which you can still get as an herbal extract. Ephedrine, the main derivative, can't really be found these days, and pseudoephedrine is nearly a prescription medicine. I used to take ephedrine (Bronkaid, formerly OTC) for asthma.

Interesting note - the further south you go, the stricter they are about dispensing pseudoephedrine or other stimulants. Florida was a nightmare, even to get my methylphenidate prescription filled. I was treated with suspicion at every pharmacy I tried. In Massachusetts no questions were asked. In MA, I found ephedrine at 7-11. In Florida no ephedrine anywhere. Luckily I still have a stock of Bronkaid. In Canada they don't have the long acting version of pseudoephedrine, but the short acting is sold on the shelves with no ID required. I haven't looked for Bronkaid equivalents yet.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2016, 09:31:29 AM »

Minimal Brain Dysfuntion?
This got replaced so long ago I never knew about it. But finding out the meaning led me to this:

http://www.healthyplace.com/adhd/articles/attention-deficit-hyperactivity-disorder-minimal-brain-dysfunction/

Too bad it's undated and not juried; it is one of the few places I've seen in which the combination of ADD and giftedness is discussed. For years no one believed I could have any kind of learning disability so I went undiagnosed and untreated. Because you can't go to Bronx Science if you have a learning disability. You can't be dyslexic if you're smart.

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2016, 12:59:28 PM »

Had to Goodle that one.  No, I didn't, though I'm not sure that dx was around when I was a child
  in the 1970s, or if I would have gotten it even if it had been, since my mother wouldn't even allow my
  sister to be tested in high school for a possible math-related learning disability, as she worried about
  permanent records and stigma (and, possibly, that it would reflect badly upon her).  I really didn't have
  that many problems in daily functioning, just couldn't stay focused and "on task" in school, and didn't
  know how to be social with the peer group.  The OCD appeared briefly in my early years, in the form of
  intrusive thoughts, but didn't become a real problem till I was in my early 30s.  :nerd!:

People forget.

Offline benjimanbreeg

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I do not have the right not to do so
« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2016, 05:16:05 PM »
Disease?

Sorry, i'm worn down, definitely the wrong word  :autism: 

I'm pretty skeptical about 'ADHD' though, or 'ODD'.  The health service here definitely hands out drugs way too easily, let alone how it is in the US.

They don't hand them out as easily here, it would seem. I've had trouble with some doctors not wanting to prescribe them to me.

The problem here seems to be that people equate ADHD meds with drugs, which they aren't.

That's a good thing, they should be the last resort.  I think if you've tried every other option and literally cannot cope, then you shouldn't be made to wait. 

A different type of drug i'd say.

Would you have diabetics test every other option before giving them insulin?

The medical industry knows far more about diabetes and insulin, than it does with mental illness and 'anti-depressants'.

So the criterion for handing out meds that are known to work is that you have to know how they work? And since when are we discussing mental illnesses and antidepressants? Moving the goalposts much?

You were the one who brought up diabetes, when we were discussing 'ADHD'!!   :facepalm2:

"So the criterion for handing out meds that are known to work is that you have to know how they work?"  That would kind of help.  Especially when it's regarding a 'condition' we don't know much about or if it even exists. 
"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

"When men lead by words that are false as they preach
Fatality waits in the wings
Surrounded by fools behind walls that are breached
Beware of the jester that sings"

Leeeeeaaaave Benji alooooooone!  :bigcry:

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2016, 07:42:29 PM »
Interesting note - the further south you go, the stricter they are about dispensing pseudoephedrine or other stimulants. Florida was a nightmare, even to get my methylphenidate prescription filled. I was treated with suspicion at every pharmacy I tried. In Massachusetts no questions were asked. In MA, I found ephedrine at 7-11. In Florida no ephedrine anywhere. Luckily I still have a stock of Bronkaid. In Canada they don't have the long acting version of pseudoephedrine, but the short acting is sold on the shelves with no ID required. I haven't looked for Bronkaid equivalents yet.
That's kinda funny considering Florida is like the go-to place to get pills in large quantities (opiates, mainly, I think).
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2016, 08:17:04 PM »
That's kinda funny considering Florida is like the go-to place to get pills in large quantities (opiates, mainly, I think).

It's because of all the stovetop meth labs in the south. People have to show ID and hork up a gob of phlem to be allowed to buy a single box of over-the-counter antihistamines.  :lol1:
:gopher:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2016, 01:36:45 AM »
Disease?

I'm pretty skeptical about 'ADHD' though, or 'ODD'.  The health service here definitely hands out drugs way too easily, let alone how it is in the US.

They don't hand them out as easily here, it would seem. I've had trouble with some doctors not wanting to prescribe them to me.

The problem here seems to be that people equate ADHD meds with drugs, which they aren't.
But they are- they're uppers/speed.  Thing is, they work great as "legit" medicine, but they also work pretty great as drugs.  And can have unfortunate side effects when they're abused.

Which a lot of meds can, but AFAIK, Ritalin is not a great upper. It can help you focus, it can improve your cognitive abilities, but it isn't a great drug.

At least where I work, we actually do try to make sure we're only prescribing stimulants to people who legitly have ADHD, and not just people who want "study drugs," to get skinny, get high from the stimulants themselves, or to sell them.

You may get skinny by popping Ritalin because you can lose your appetite, but does it really work for that purpose in the long term? And getting high? Jittery, sure, in higher doses, when all kinds of bad things can happen, but again AFAIK it's rather difficult to get high with Ritalin.
You lost the pill-popping mentality plot at the phrase "in the long term."  :P

Also, we more get people wanting adderall, here.

Never tried Adderall, me, only Ritalin and Concerta, and those have no fun side effects, only some boring ones. Plus, I had an allergic reaction against Concerta.

I guess I'm just not very good at this pill-popping thing.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2016, 01:51:30 AM »
Disease?

That's a good thing, they should be the last resort.  I think if you've tried every other option and literally cannot cope, then you shouldn't be made to wait. 

A different type of drug i'd say.

Would you have diabetics test every other option before giving them insulin?

The medical industry knows far more about diabetes and insulin, than it does with mental illness and 'anti-depressants'.

So the criterion for handing out meds that are known to work is that you have to know how they work? And since when are we discussing mental illnesses and antidepressants? Moving the goalposts much?

You were the one who brought up diabetes, when we were discussing 'ADHD'!!   :facepalm2:

"So the criterion for handing out meds that are known to work is that you have to know how they work?"  That would kind of help.  Especially when it's regarding a 'condition' we don't know much about or if it even exists.

ADHD is not a mental illness and we were not discussing antidepressants. It's obvious that you don't believe the condition exists, but it's to be expected. You are the village idiot and expected to act like one. A bit of target practice but not something I'd have a serious discussion with. That bit is best left to the grown-ups.

As an aside, there are quite a few meds out there given to people because they do work, but where the how is still unknown or debated. These include both new meds and existing ones, like those with an accepted off-label use. Google is your friend.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2016, 04:13:01 AM »

They don't know why/how meds work for lots of things. If all meds that are not understood are skipped, there will be plenty of people in agony. Not only because of neurological and mental problems.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2016, 05:13:51 AM »

Whereabouts in Massachusetts?  Just asking out of ... scientific curiosity.  :kapkao:

People forget.

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2016, 07:05:24 AM »

Whereabouts in Massachusetts?  Just asking out of ... scientific curiosity.  :kapkao:
The more relevant question may be when.  They've cracked down on various stuff semi-recently- started carding for cold medicine at some point within the last decade-ish, made most if not all of that terrible fake weed shit illegal within the last couple of years, etc.

I'm wondering if it was in one of those sketchy-looking supplement-things they often have for sale next to the counter?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 07:07:35 AM by PMS Elle »
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #74 on: March 03, 2016, 07:07:02 AM »

The more relevant question may be when.  They did start carding for cold medicine at some point within the last decade-ish.

That's true, I have to show ID before buying my Robitussin DM!  :beer:

People forget.