Educational

Author Topic: What did you do before you had meds?  (Read 2511 times)

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
Re: What did you do before you had meds?
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2016, 05:28:21 AM »
Before I had my overload circuit-breaker installation (I.e meds), when I was of the age where parents looked after medical/dr visits, I dipped into my outside-of-box-oddball-autie-talent pool, so to speak, to do what comes naturally, I.e get chemhacking.

Started with the really easy entry-level kinds of cooking projects those new to the art typically try out first, decyclization of Y-butyrolactone with caustic potash to give GHB, did that by the pound using the stove-top and a salted water bath to keep it hot and saponify that lactone, just bung everything, GBL, an alkali metal, or alkaline earth metal hydroxide base, a mixture of mostly MeOH (not needed strictly, but using mostly methanol allows for a quicker yield of product by virtue of allowing for much less water needing to be boiled off)

Hold at reflux for about a half to 3/4 hour, then strip off the methanol/water mixture, once evaporated down to a hypersaline brine-like liquid, pour onto foil-lined baking trays, and leave in the oven with the door wedged open and the flame at its lowest, to drive off the last of the liquid (IMPORTANT! make sure the methanol is evaporated off, before the drying out in the oven, to avoid a fire.)

Then all that needs be done, is to take up the foil and crunch up the chunky crystals of GHB.

Or if no Y-butyrolactone, 1,4-butanediol, or tetrahydrofuran were on the lab shelves, then maybe chloral hydrate from alcohol, direct photocatalyzed halogenation of ethanol under UV irradiation using chlorine gas. Chlorbutol (otherwise known as chlorobutanol) was another really quick, simple, easy sedative, similar to chloral, made by condensing the enolate of acetone, prepared by deprotonating same w/strong base, with chloroform, itself prepared by oxidizing acetone using the haloform rxn, generating the transient-lived dichlorocarbene using hypochlorite/group I metal hydroxide base.

Then one takes the freshly prepared chloroform, and adds it to the acetone enol and base, hold at reflux for a while, using an efficient condenser.
The chlorbutol crystallizes as fine acicular needles which sublime before melting, and possess a very distinctive camphor-like, 'medicinal, antiseptic' type scent. Long, long long duration of action,  and it, like chloral hydrate, can tend to repeat on one, with minty camphorish astringent kind of taste if one belches after taking the drug.

What else...ether, that was a fun beginner's synth for both an extremely versatile, useful solvent,  and either inhaled or consumed orally it packs a kick that needs experiencing to be believed. Smells lovely too. Synth route I use for EtOEt being to slowly, dropwise addition of anhydrous, or very, very dry ethyl alcohol into hot, concentrated sulfuric acid, distilling the ether off as it forms, although one must maintain the reaction below 150 deg. C lest one ends up merely dehydrating the alcohol to ethylene gas.

Another DIY-ed before-meds solution to insomnia, and fatigue, is tea, brewed from the fly agaric mushroom, Amanita muscaria,  that most famous and easily recognized fungus of the red cap covered in warty white fragments of the velum universale, and having white gills, white stalk possessed of a membranous, flaccid ring, and volva reduced to an enlarged, somewhat rough and warty basal bulb, grows exclusively with its mycorrhizal partner trees, silver birch being by far the most common, but it also grows with pine trees at times, little gnome sitting on the top holding a wee 'lil fishing rod, swearing like a sailor and blaspheming the air blue in fury at having his little wee tiny gnomehome abruptly yoinked out of the ground, dropped into the collecting baskets, then thrown in the oven to be dried crispy :D

Used, and still do make good use of fly agaric as a hypnotic, sedative, endurance-booster, anti-anxiogenic, and to top off the many uses this wonderful fungus has, a goodly spoonful of the dried, powdered caps works some real magic on the flavoursomeness if thrown into a pot of cooking beef chilli or stew, or sprinkled over a nice big and juicy slab of steak.

It is, however, poisonous, unless prepared correctly, but the mode of preparation is quite simple, consisting of being cleaned, the caps put on foil lined baking trays, and curing with a long, low heat with the oven door slightly ajar, This heat-cure allows for the decarboxylation of a neurotoxin present in A.muscaria called ibotenic acid to the psychoactive muscimol. When used as a cooking spice though, the traces of ibotenic acid left behind act as an agonist of glutamate receptors on the tongue which are responsible for producing the taste known as umami, or savouryness. Brings out the meaty, salty type flavours of the piece of meat like a sort of nature-spawned MSG. Can either drive a man berserkirgang, act as a dissociative psychedelic of a unique stripe (acts as an orthosteric agonist at GABAa receptors, I.e binding at the same site that GABA itself does, unlike say, barbs, benzos and Z-drugs which bind an allosteric site on the GABAa receptor complex distinct from GABA, the native neurotransmitter)

Or turn a simply good, tasty steak to something fucking scrumptious, delish enough to kneecap anybody caught looking hungrily at one's plate :P
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline benjimanbreeg

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I do not have the right not to do so
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2016, 12:32:57 PM »
Disease?

Sorry, i'm worn down, definitely the wrong word  :autism: 

I'm pretty skeptical about 'ADHD' though, or 'ODD'.  The health service here definitely hands out drugs way too easily, let alone how it is in the US.

They don't hand them out as easily here, it would seem. I've had trouble with some doctors not wanting to prescribe them to me.

The problem here seems to be that people equate ADHD meds with drugs, which they aren't.

That's a good thing, they should be the last resort.  I think if you've tried every other option and literally cannot cope, then you shouldn't be made to wait. 

A different type of drug i'd say. 
"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

"When men lead by words that are false as they preach
Fatality waits in the wings
Surrounded by fools behind walls that are breached
Beware of the jester that sings"

Leeeeeaaaave Benji alooooooone!  :bigcry:

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2016, 11:57:51 PM »
Before I had meds I did not sleep. I would go to bed at 11pm and get up at 2am. I didn't have a housekey so I left the front door unlocked. I wandered the streets, or sat in the backyard writing poetry and stories.

Before I had meds I didn't realize I needed them. I was against using them. When I first tried meds I realized that it was not the norm to reheat my dinner several times after cooking it, and finally eat it lukewarm or cold.

Before I had meds things fell into the black hole of my life and were lost forever. Now it's just a wormhole with uncertain results.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #48 on: February 29, 2016, 02:57:28 AM »
I realized that it was not the norm to reheat my dinner several times after cooking it, and finally eat it lukewarm or cold.

When life is not too challenging I do reasonably OK. Just reheating water for tea a few times before making the tea. And then hopefully drink it while it still tastes good. Having kids who need breakfast helps with this.

When life gets more challenging, add a few appointments, make a few changes, just ordinary stuff, things get chaotic. Then I have to wash my laundry several times, because I forget to hang the wet washing. And drinking something with kids not at home just will not happen.

Seems to be not only influenced by things from outside me, there also are periods of time that I am more efficient, sometimes really efficient, and times I am a disaster. Not sure what the pattern is.

In disaster times I take my methylphenidate. I do sleep better when I take that. I tend to forget the afternoon dosage though. Worst dosage to forget.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #49 on: February 29, 2016, 06:01:56 AM »
Disease?

I'm pretty skeptical about 'ADHD' though, or 'ODD'.  The health service here definitely hands out drugs way too easily, let alone how it is in the US.

They don't hand them out as easily here, it would seem. I've had trouble with some doctors not wanting to prescribe them to me.

The problem here seems to be that people equate ADHD meds with drugs, which they aren't.

That's a good thing, they should be the last resort.  I think if you've tried every other option and literally cannot cope, then you shouldn't be made to wait. 

Would you have diabetics test every other option before giving them insulin?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #50 on: February 29, 2016, 11:02:37 AM »

When life gets more challenging, add a few appointments, make a few changes, just ordinary stuff, things get chaotic. Then I have to wash my laundry several times, because I forget to hang the wet washing. And drinking something with kids not at home just will not happen.
Same here. Making dinner for Py nights seems to be an organizing factor, as is doing the grocery shopping. I used to lose clothing to forgetting to hang things up or put them in the dryer. Having to go to a laundromat when the home things are broken (or had kittens behind them) and waiting for me to repair them was only partly helpful.

Seems to be not only influenced by things from outside me, there also are periods of time that I am more efficient, sometimes really efficient, and times I am a disaster. Not sure what the pattern is.
This happens to me too, and I've no idea how. For example somehow my desk got seriously (but not completely) cleared of stuff. Enough to put down both a tea mug and a drinking glass.

In disaster times I take my methylphenidate. I do sleep better when I take that. I tend to forget the afternoon dosage though. Worst dosage to forget.
If I don't take mine ongoing, things don't improve. At this point I am still a train wreck but should be better within the next few months. The afternoon dose for me not only helps with sleep, but makes the next morning better. It's like it helps the morning dose.

I admit that I am not the most productive member of society, but without meds I was losing my jobs. With meds I am able to hold a job and there are some students who are very happy to have been in my classes. My arguments are that there is actual suffering for people who don't get the meds they need, and that had there been a better intervention earlier in my life I might have been a lot more productive. I would not withhold those opportunities from anyone.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline benjimanbreeg

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #51 on: February 29, 2016, 12:31:24 PM »
Disease?

The medical industry knows far more about diabetes and insulin, than it does with mental illness and 'anti-depressants'. 
"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2016, 03:55:32 AM »
But they got to know about diabetes and insulin by giving people insulin.

Antidepressants work for only one form of ADHD (which is not considered a mental illness but a developmental disorder), but anyway, there is this:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK45574/

It's possible - at least in the U.S. to get a prescription for fish oil for milder forms of ADHD.
A trial of Wellbutrin cost me $600 in an impulsive shopping trip. The psychiatrist suggested it because I balked at taking a stimulant. I stopped consuming massive amounts of caffeine and started the Wellbutrin during the week. By Sunday all the money was gone.

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2016, 07:05:45 AM »
Disease?

But they are- they're uppers/speed.  Thing is, they work great as "legit" medicine, but they also work pretty great as drugs.  And can have unfortunate side effects when they're abused.

At least where I work, we actually do try to make sure we're only prescribing stimulants to people who legitly have ADHD, and not just people who want "study drugs," to get skinny, get high from the stimulants themselves, or to sell them.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2016, 08:03:18 AM »
If I don't take mine ongoing, things don't improve. At this point I am still a train wreck but should be better within the next few months. The afternoon dose for me not only helps with sleep, but makes the next morning better. It's like it helps the morning dose.

I admit that I am not the most productive member of society, but without meds I was losing my jobs. With meds I am able to hold a job and there are some students who are very happy to have been in my classes. My arguments are that there is actual suffering for people who don't get the meds they need, and that had there been a better intervention earlier in my life I might have been a lot more productive. I would not withhold those opportunities from anyone.

I take them a few weeks, if I don't forget. And when life is back to organised enough to be OK I quit again. I miss the creativity of the chaotic brain when on methylphenidate too long.

Wonder how I will get my new prescription. The doctor prescribing it to me had to stop, reaching a pensioners age in times of economizing. Now my GP should take over. Hope she will be willing to do that.

Offline benjimanbreeg

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2016, 03:24:04 PM »
But they got to know about diabetes and insulin by giving people insulin.

Antidepressants work for only one form of ADHD (which is not considered a mental illness but a developmental disorder), but anyway, there is this:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK45574/

It's possible - at least in the U.S. to get a prescription for fish oil for milder forms of ADHD.
A trial of Wellbutrin cost me $600 in an impulsive shopping trip. The psychiatrist suggested it because I balked at taking a stimulant. I stopped consuming massive amounts of caffeine and started the Wellbutrin during the week. By Sunday all the money was gone.

Not every condition is identical though. 

May want to have a look at these 

http://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/2015/09/at-last-doubts-about-adhd-go-mainstream.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/adhd-being-different-is-not-an-illness-a6757276.html

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2016, 01:25:27 AM »
Disease?

The medical industry knows far more about diabetes and insulin, than it does with mental illness and 'anti-depressants'.

So the criterion for handing out meds that are known to work is that you have to know how they work? And since when are we discussing mental illnesses and antidepressants? Moving the goalposts much?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2016, 01:40:21 AM »
Disease?

But they are- they're uppers/speed.  Thing is, they work great as "legit" medicine, but they also work pretty great as drugs.  And can have unfortunate side effects when they're abused.

Which a lot of meds can, but AFAIK, Ritalin is not a great upper. It can help you focus, it can improve your cognitive abilities, but it isn't a great drug.

At least where I work, we actually do try to make sure we're only prescribing stimulants to people who legitly have ADHD, and not just people who want "study drugs," to get skinny, get high from the stimulants themselves, or to sell them.

You may get skinny by popping Ritalin because you can lose your appetite, but does it really work for that purpose in the long term? And getting high? Jittery, sure, in higher doses, when all kinds of bad things can happen, but again AFAIK it's rather difficult to get high with Ritalin.

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2016, 01:44:35 AM »
You may get skinny by popping Ritalin because you can lose your appetite, but does it really work for that purpose in the long term? And getting high? Jittery, sure, in higher doses, when all kinds of bad things can happen, but again AFAIK it's rather difficult to get high with Ritalin.

Jittery and with facial spasms. Maybe with drooling. Very alluring. Oh, and staying awake while drooling and having facial spasms.

(Sat the night through with a teen, not my own, who had taken hands full of different meds, the Ritalin was the only thing taken in a dosage that it could become a problem. There were no fun side-effects.)

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2016, 06:09:59 AM »
Disease?

Which a lot of meds can, but AFAIK, Ritalin is not a great upper. It can help you focus, it can improve your cognitive abilities, but it isn't a great drug.

You lost the pill-popping mentality plot at the phrase "in the long term."  :P

Also, we more get people wanting adderall, here.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.