Author Topic: Stuff that makes you ridiculously happy.  (Read 3623 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: Stuff that makes you ridiculously happy.
« Reply #165 on: July 25, 2018, 12:46:13 PM »

"Abbey Road"  shaking the floor.
 :headbang2:

:headbang2:
RIGHT? !!!!!!

No police last night.
Beatles, played very loudly, seem to cause complaints from some shit neighbors. I wonder if it is just the content (too simple - everyone loves The Beatles, right?) Or is it the fact that I am blasting mostly uncompressed music.

I have had my daughter's music just as loud through several albums (Hero Dad, here!) with no problems, but these are all fairly compressed to a "loudness standard" and so do not have the massive dynamics evident in some older recordings. I actually played some Aretha Franklin last night as well but I turned down that Motown favorite. It was actually getting late, but the albums of hers are only lightly compressed and fully exploit the available dynamic range. Good Stuff, too!

Honestly it seems as if the "sound stage (I know, that is considered to be merely a psycho-acoustical, imagined effect, but drop by and I will show you that sounds from a freaking CD can seem to originate outside the listening room)" is larger than one might expect.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 12:50:15 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #166 on: July 25, 2018, 03:20:31 PM »
Priming myself and getting stoked to get back to ,the org.chem work that was making me feel like crap when I was so tired, exhausted and overloaded that I felt like every islamite in the middle bleedin' east had just used my trachea for a toilet, and my hair to wipe the shit off their TP hand when they are finished.

Now I'm feeling properly clear headed and I'm NOT gonna let the little bugger beat me. And if the workup DOESN'T go the way I want, and reform my damn ketone, then I can still restart. Don't want to lose a dinnerplate full of the bisulfite adduct of the ketone even so. But no matter what, there is still the option of  going via the corresponding Knoevanagel condensation product, reducing the double bond using excess borohydride (a severalfold molar excess, this is added to prevent dimerization of the nitroalkene via a Michael addition between nitroalkene and nitroalkane product, which gives  a dimeric bis-product, a total dead end, irretrievable garbage, well, can be purified of course, but the dimeric bis-crap via the nitroalkene/nitroalkane Michael addition side reaction is better suppressed to begin with using an excess of NaBH4)

And then taking the nitroalkane, reacting it with either iron dust, or zinc dust in hot glacial acetic acid with an added pinch of ferric chloride hydrate to complex to the nitrogen and render it more susceptible to undergoing the  desired reduction. Direct to product, 2-3 hours at 80-85 'C, just a little dash of FeCl3 per liter flask is enough, although at least if using iron powder there is the problem that one has to use overhead or manual stirring, because being ferromagnetic, if magnetic stirring was attempted it would just make the iron powder cling to the stirbar and drag it down until it wouldn't stir.

Zn dust at least, isn't magnetic. I've actually heard that the workup is more pleasant using zinc in lieu of iron. An excess is used in either case so manual or overhead  stirring is  easier to work with. Then its just filtration off of the metal scraps and oxide wastes etc., neutralization of the GAA, bringing to PH 10-11 and then extraction into dichloromethane. Distill off the dichlor and there is the freebase product. Can't really say WHAT specific compound  for certain reasons, but its a nice reaction to run for  a tried and time-tested CNS stimulant.

A bit of a  pity it takes  so much borohydride to run the cunt, to suppress that parasitic Michael addition during reduction of the nitroalkene to the saturated nitro compound (the borohydride reduces the double bond, whilst the second step using an acidic dissolving metal reduction catalyzed by ferric chloride reduces the aliphatic nitro group to form the desired aminoalkane.), about a fourfold molar excess. Although I'd be very curious to know if, rather than quenching the NaBH4 excess after the reduction, using aqueous acetic acid, if GAA could be used instead, because  I think that would form a solution of STAB (sodium triacetoxyborohydride) which itself has use  as a reducing agent like NaBH4 does, with a different spectrum of substrates that it will reduce, either alone or with additives such as nickel salts, copper sulfate, possibly cobalt to form a cobalt boride-STAB system in-situ, or  nickel boride via reduction of a solution of NiCl2, nickel chloride, done in-situ in alcoholic solvent media. Won't reduce aliphatic nitro groups on its own, but apparently the dinickel boride used together with sodium borohydride will do, neither will reduce an aliphatic nitro group on its own, but together they have greater and more scope for substrate tolerability.

Only experimented a very little with nickel boride-borohydride, and not at all with cobalt boride/borohydride or cobalt boride/STAB. Still, its on my research shortlist.

Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #167 on: July 26, 2018, 06:32:41 AM »
Tinkering with my Dolby processors.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #168 on: July 26, 2018, 07:25:00 AM »
Tinkering with my Dolby processors.

...and Ninja Cats

I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #169 on: July 26, 2018, 11:49:16 AM »
You can't hide your butthurt.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Bastet

• Psychotic Mentally Deficient Deranged Bitch
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • MeOW!
« Reply #170 on: October 21, 2018, 04:17:24 PM »
Cheese chocolate and coffee. Mmmmmmmm
:kitten: OBSESSIVE AILUROPHILE :kitten:

It is far better for people to hate you for doing the right thing than for people to love you for doing the wrong thing. Never ever forget that.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #171 on: October 21, 2018, 05:40:14 PM »
Bugger. It looks like nickel boride reduction of nitroalkanes is a non-starter. At least using the P2 type boride (there are two, one formed in alcoholic media, the other in aqueous media, P1 being the form produced when a  nickel (II) salt is reduced, ideally the acetate, using sodium borohydride, in alcoholic medium, and is the more active of the two, I've only tried P2 so far though, and not under pressurized hydrogen, but it appears that it won't do for reducing aliphatic nitroalkanes  to aminoalkanes.

Thankfully though, I did get turned on to a rather nifty two-step onepot nitroalkene reduction (excess borohydride, a 4-6-fold molar excess with respect to the nitroalkene to be reduced to retard it's undergoing a parasitic Michael-type addition to the reduced nitroalkane intermediate which would give one polymerized tarry shite instead of a  decent yield of  various amphetamines and phenethylamines, although unfortunately no good  for the non-fluorinated ring-halogenated ones, and then, once the nitroalkane has formed, cupric chloride is then added, which gets reduced to, unusually for copper,  catalytically highly active species, giving good yields of at least straight amphetamine from P2NP)

Kind of neat, no pyrophoric chemistry (typically LiAlH4 is used to reduce the nitroalkenes to the aminoalkane in one step but it's pyrophoric, and can be dangerous to handle, borohydride needs the additional in-situ generation of copper nanoparticles, but it's so damn tame to handle, the excess can be quenched by directly adding acid in plenty of situations, or adding methanol, with which it reacts quickly, but not violently, giving off an effervescence of hydrogen gas)

Great shelf life, no spontaneous ignition, no need to dry THF or ether over sodium or potassium at reflux for two days to get it dry enough NOT to burst into flame, and for plenty of things to do with it, it doesn't even NEED an ether or THF etc. type solvent, which means less material that has any spontaneous nasty ass decomposition potential to keep around (THF and erther form explosive peroxides slowly in storage unless inhibited and ideally, regularly treated to destroy peroxide content. Some of them are more sensitive than others, but I don't want to encounter any of them, got a really nasty habit of forming under and in the screw threads on container caps, then detonating violently when opened. I've seen some rather nightmarish pictures, that rather drove that message home.....like a fridge, in a thousand tiny pieces, embedded in the ceiling of some lab somewhere that didn't watch out for peroxides.

Quite hilarious at the time...until you think of what''s lurking in the 'other things' fridge (contents vary, but generally a load of bottles of various less than stable things have to share with tubs of live maggots and casters, that my old man uses as fish bait.  Gives me a mental picture that's even worse if that THF ever were to peroxidize and explode. Not only a fridge studded roof...but if those things hatched....jesus. I think I'm going to set to making sure I use up that 5l of THF I have in there, because it's been there, albeit inhibited and stored in as good a set of conditions, bar under liquid nitrogen or the likes, that one could hope to store THF or other ethers, and unopened. But that does on the other hand, leave me with five liters of the stuff, that'll have a shelf life of needing checking and possibly treating every 3 months or so to make a point of using and replacing with fresh stuff.

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #172 on: October 21, 2018, 06:03:29 PM »
Not to self: Always ask "is it okay to drink this?" before helping myself to a drink from Lestat's fridge.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #173 on: October 21, 2018, 06:51:05 PM »
Buying new guns.  :tooledup:

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #174 on: October 21, 2018, 08:23:27 PM »
Oh, that fridge doesn't have anything anyone would want to eat in it. Not unless you happen to be a fish, t any rate. I keep the two separate, precisely for that sort of reason.  I doubt anyone would go randomly taste-testing anything that needs storing in teflon-capped bottles or is marked all over with the skull-and-crossbones icon (because should the coppers ever cause trouble here, there is a whole world of it they could unleash through sheer stupidity, and I don't want to be on the recipient end of it)
I do occasionally use the freezer though, but that's usually just for freeze-precipitating something that happens to respond well to the technique, I don't as a rule store anything in there, the second fridge works a treat for keeping even things with escape-artist tendencies where they ought to be, when the right containers are used, at least, such as the halogens, and the solid or liquid interhalogens (which tend to eat anything other than glass or perfluorinert type polymers)

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #175 on: October 21, 2018, 09:12:49 PM »
Buying new guns.  :tooledup:

OK, Spill it!
Whadja git? (You know about half of mine, already)

I have not bought anything new in about a year, since that SR9 Ruger, which has actually turned out to be a treasure.
I have had enough of the bullshit about crap triggers on Rugers, already.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #176 on: October 22, 2018, 09:23:36 PM »
Being able to sleep in makes me feel pretty happy.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #177 on: October 23, 2018, 06:17:19 AM »
Me too Ren, me too. Although I only went to bed at about 7:30AM last night.

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #178 on: October 23, 2018, 06:33:50 AM »
7:30 AM doesn't qualify as "last night".
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #179 on: October 23, 2018, 07:09:05 AM »
7:30 AM doesn't qualify as "last night".

Not true! You have some fun due you if you do not get that.
 :heisenberg: