Educational

Author Topic: Graelwyn Grilling Time  (Read 5931 times)

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
Re: Graelwyn Grilling Time
« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2015, 01:18:32 AM »
Hoping to write a book around my current special interest of criminal profiling, death row and the like.

Did you ever get into the TV series Lt. Joe Kenda, Homicide Hunter??

Offline Graelwyn

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2015, 01:25:43 AM »
Hoping to write a book around my current special interest of criminal profiling, death row and the like.

Did you ever get into the TV series Lt. Joe Kenda, Homicide Hunter??

That is one I have not heard of. Is it American? I have Netflix so I can access quite a lot of stuff on there. I have lately been watching Forensic Files, Women Behind Bars, various documentaries about Death Row and serial killers, including Cleophus Prince Jr (story behind how I came to look him up) and fictional Uk series like Silent Witness, Broadchurch, Wire In The Blood... I have watched endless forensics and detective series, to be honest. But my main interest is in real life crimes, namely murders. I am looking into a diploma you can do in Criminal Profiling via distance learning, but it is bloody expensive.

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #77 on: February 10, 2015, 11:05:59 AM »
That is one I have not heard of. Is it American? ...I have watched endless forensics and detective series, to be honest. But my main interest is in real life crimes, namely murders.

Yes, The series is about the case files of Lt. Joe Kenda who was a homicide investigator for the Colorado Springs police department. He solved about 380 murders in his career that began in the early 70's. He had one of the highest conviction rates of any homicide investigator in the country and became a legend in law enforcement circles so they made a TV series about the crimes he solved.

I really enjoy the show, Joe Kenda narrates his thoughts on the case in between reenactments of the investigation. It has a very Film Noir feel about it.

Offline Graelwyn

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2015, 01:43:38 PM »
That is one I have not heard of. Is it American? ...I have watched endless forensics and detective series, to be honest. But my main interest is in real life crimes, namely murders.

Yes, The series is about the case files of Lt. Joe Kenda who was a homicide investigator for the Colorado Springs police department. He solved about 380 murders in his career that began in the early 70's. He had one of the highest conviction rates of any homicide investigator in the country and became a legend in law enforcement circles so they made a TV series about the crimes he solved.

I really enjoy the show, Joe Kenda narrates his thoughts on the case in between reenactments of the investigation. It has a very Film Noir feel about it.

That sounds like my sort of thing, definitely. I am sure I saw something about that guy before, but cannot remember if it was just mentioned in one of the other documentaries I watched or what. I wonder where I could find it. I have no idea why I am so fascinated in this area, especially given I am not good with gore, but it just fascinates me. Women behind bars is good as it covers their lives before the crime as well, where Forensic Files is mostly evidence based and about the actual crime. Do you reckon all serial killers are Psychopaths ?

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #79 on: February 11, 2015, 06:09:26 AM »
I studied intro to criminology as an elective for uni and found it bloody hard. My essays were severely criticised to my dismay. The unit was all about the history of criminology and I am not good with history because of all the facts that must be remembered (I have a poor memory), so I just barely passed.

Profiling sounds much more interesting.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Graelwyn

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #80 on: February 11, 2015, 11:43:18 AM »
I studied intro to criminology as an elective for uni and found it bloody hard. My essays were severely criticised to my dismay. The unit was all about the history of criminology and I am not good with history because of all the facts that must be remembered (I have a poor memory), so I just barely passed.

Profiling sounds much more interesting.

Yes, I have to admit, I would find the history aspect rather boring... I like to get straight into the depths of it. I even spent a small fortune on the only book I could find on criminal profiling, which is a textbook as it turns out, but it goes into specific cases and the traits of psychopaths and signatures and such things. There seem to be slightly different disciplines in this area, including forensic psychology and criminal psychology, and they do not seem to be the same thing. I did a search on the differences. I must confess, I start feeling a bit creepy when I have watched a certain number of forensic files or documentaries about serial killers and have to force myself to put in a nice, tame costume drama to compensate  :lol1:

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2015, 01:02:43 PM »
I must confess, I start feeling a bit creepy when I have watched a certain number of forensic files or documentaries about serial killers and have to force myself to put in a nice, tame costume drama to compensate  :lol1:

... those who persue monsters...

Offline Graelwyn

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #82 on: February 11, 2015, 02:21:08 PM »
I must confess, I start feeling a bit creepy when I have watched a certain number of forensic files or documentaries about serial killers and have to force myself to put in a nice, tame costume drama to compensate  :lol1:

I have sometimes wondered, actually, if some of those who get into law enforcement or similar areas, might have ended up the other side of the law if they had not taken their chosen career path. I, personally, cannot imagine killing anyone, even if I were pushed into a position where it was me or them.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #83 on: February 11, 2015, 06:21:16 PM »

The quote is about fighting monsters.

Offline Graelwyn

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2015, 07:31:47 PM »

This is the quote, I am guessing, by Friedrich Nietzsche?

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #85 on: February 11, 2015, 08:27:34 PM »

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.

Yeah that's what I was getting at. You must take care that you don't begin to sympathise with the evil you fight. It happens often enough.

Offline Graelwyn

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #86 on: February 11, 2015, 08:31:22 PM »

Yeah that's what I was getting at. You must take care that you don't begin to sympathise with the evil you fight. It happens often enough.

Yes. No chance of that happening for me. I have an interest in how their minds work, but do not feel sympathy for them.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2015, 08:37:59 PM »

Is that what Nietzsche meant? Sympathizing?

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2015, 08:39:31 PM »
Always thought it was more about people taking extremes which go against their own moral code, in the course of fighting something they believe to be wrong.

Offline Graelwyn

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2015, 08:45:57 PM »
From my reading, it seems the quote can be interpreted in multiple ways.