Author Topic: yum  (Read 500 times)

Offline rocketturtle

• mysterious mantra
  • Frequent Poster
  • displaced space
yum
« on: January 02, 2007, 10:41:35 PM »
i just invented some tastey food right now. it's not completely original, i was inspired from my favourite dish at my favourite vegetarian restaurant.

in a pot:
1 540mL can of washed and strained black beans
1 425mL can of mangoes with just a bit of the juice for flavour
a bit of milk to make it a little creamy. i wanted to use coconut milk but i didn't have any so i used 3.5% mf (whole) milk.
1/2 teaspoon of tapioca starch to thicken it just a bit
warm it up on mild to medium heat until it is steamy.

some white rice
make in separate pot or in rice cooker.

some flour tortilla wraps
you can just buy them from a store.

wrap the rice and blackbean/mango sauce in a tortilla wrap.

eat.

----

on a second topic, does anybody know of some easy, fast and nutritious recipies to make when you are really hungry?

it has to be out of food that can be stored for longer periods of time without going bad, like canned or dry goods. around 95% of the fresh food i buy goes bad because i forget about it. i have stopped buying a lot of fresh food because it is wasting my money.

one of the troubles i have is forgetting to eat when i am absorbed in various activities. i often don't realize that i am hungry until my hands are shaky and my head is dizzy and cooking anything that is not simple and fast is challenging. hmm, like right now...

because of this i rely a lot on instant processed foods and these aren't the best choices in diet. when i was living at home, my mom cooked for me regularly so that i didn't forget to eat; she would even cook for me when she wasn't hungry. after moving out, eating healthy and remembering to eat regularly is hard to do. my mom suggested that i order in prepared single-serving meals from a catering company so that i would have more nutritious and complete food on hand than store-bought instant food. these are catering companies that offer a delivery service to mainly the elderly and mentally ill. they are "home-cooked" frozen meals that last longer than keeping the raw ingredients on store and they only need to be warmed up in an oven or microwave. one problem with this is that i don't like food that sits in the refridgerator or freezer for too long either so i can see some potential problems with this solution. anyways, this is just a bit of background relating to the reason why i am asking if anybody knows any recipes that qualify.

arg ... i forgot about my food again despite the fact that i'm writing about it ... i must eat now my hands are shaking again.
i like stuff

Offline Sanityisoverrated

• Frequent Poster
  • Sleepy type guy
Re: yum
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 12:47:43 AM »
Looks like an interesting recipe, although sadly lacking in meat.

on a second topic, does anybody know of some easy, fast and nutritious recipies to make when you are really hungry?

Microwave hotdogs are the way to go.
'When the world is run according to my standards, everyone will be a happier person and the general standard of health will exceed the average' - Charlie Chaplin

Offline rocketturtle

• mysterious mantra
  • Frequent Poster
  • displaced space
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 01:20:23 AM »
i have to be careful about eating hotdogs. they make me ill.

there has only been one type of hotdog that i never got ill from and that was the kosher hotdogs from costco. however, since they are from costco you can only buy them in unreasonable quantities for one person. i would never be able to finish them without them going bad. i would have to put them in the freezer, then i would forget about them. i just recently cleared out my freezer of frozen meat products that have been there for over a year. i would also have to buy buns, and those are perishable. they will most likely go bad and i will have to throw them out.

just recently i moved all of my canned food out of a closed cupboard and into an open shelf in my microwave stand so that i can see it easily. i found that this helps a bit in reminding me to eat. my grains are not so strategically placed yet and are still a bit hidden so i forget about them. this year i am thinking of getting a new microwave stand that has many open shelves in it so that i can put all my food there and it will be visibly available. i will be able to see everything i have.
i like stuff

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 09:07:22 AM »
This is going to sound nuts, but dry Ramen noodles are a good quick enegry-load.  They actually do taste good too, unlike raw pasta (I've tried both).  I'm unsure how helathy or unhealthy ramen is without the seasoning- WITH it's atrocious.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 12:36:06 PM »
elbow macaroni, cheese (cheddar), cream cheese, and hamburger.
baked.

poor bans beef strokingoff!
Misunderstood.

Offline rocketturtle

• mysterious mantra
  • Frequent Poster
  • displaced space
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 04:49:13 PM »
elbow macaroni, cheese (cheddar), cream cheese, and hamburger.
baked.

poor bans beef strokingoff!

how much of each ingredient?
do i mix them together? do i keep them separate?
what temperature do i bake at?
how long do i bake for?
will the leftovers be freezable and if so, can they be kept in the freezer for a long time?
i like stuff

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 04:54:35 PM »
1 pound fried ground beef (drained)

1 bag large elbow macaroni (cooked)

melt two sticks cream cheese and two cans cream of chicken soup (melt until well blended)

mix above ingredients together.  put in cassarole dish
bake at 350F for 25 minutes.
top with shredded cheddar.
bake an addition 10 minutes.

i am sure you can freeze the leftovers, but i wouldn't.

if reheating, add a little bit of water (or milk), cover with a paper towel and microwave.
Misunderstood.

Offline rocketturtle

• mysterious mantra
  • Frequent Poster
  • displaced space
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 05:08:26 PM »
1 pound fried ground beef (drained)

1 bag large elbow macaroni (cooked)

melt two sticks cream cheese and two cans cream of chicken soup (melt until well blended)

mix above ingredients together.  put in cassarole dish
bake at 350F for 25 minutes.
top with shredded cheddar.
bake an addition 10 minutes.

i am sure you can freeze the leftovers, but i wouldn't.

if reheating, add a little bit of water (or milk), cover with a paper towel and microwave.

hmm, that may be too complicated for me for regular meals. i have problems coordinating more than one pot at a time on a stove. as a result, i have a tendency to cook one side at a time, eat it and then cook the next. since i got a rice cooker, it is easier because i can put rice and water in it (or other types of grains) and then just turn it on and forget about it. it beeps when it is done so i am reminded that i have food ready. plus it keeps what is inside fresh and warm for up to an hour so there is no risk of food being unequally warm or overcooked when i cook an additional side dish for the rice or grain.

it does look tastey though.
i like stuff

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 05:15:23 PM »
frozen corndogs with lotsa mustard then?
Misunderstood.

Offline rocketturtle

• mysterious mantra
  • Frequent Poster
  • displaced space
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2007, 05:21:46 PM »
i can't eat hotdogs, except for the kosher costo hotdogs.

i don't remember seeing any kosher costco corndogs.
i like stuff

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2007, 12:00:44 AM »
saltine crackers, shredded cheddar cheese and 30 seconds in the microwave.
Misunderstood.

Scrapheap

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2007, 01:03:05 AM »
Here's one of my favirte bachelor meals:

1) small pack of chicken breast fillets.

2) Uncle Ben's wild rice

3) Cream of Mushroom soup.

Pour rice on buttom of casserole dish, put chicken on top. Add 3/4 the ammount of water recomended on wild rice box. pour soup over the top and stick in the oven @350deg untill the rice soaks up most or all of the water (about 20 min) Feeds a couple of people or you have leftovers for a week.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 01:06:23 AM by Identity Crisis »

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2007, 11:57:48 AM »
Do you have a food processor or a blender, Rocketturtle?  I have a recipe for hummus which uses ingredients that are canned or keep well in the refrigerator.  You could serve it with pita bread, which you could freeze and then take out of the freezer to thaw, or you could use flour tortilla wraps like you did for your rice with black beans and mango sauce or you could use it as a dip for fresh raw vegetables which you can cut up.

Here it is:

Small can (14 1/2 oz) hummus ("chickpeas";"garbanzo beans"; "ceci beans")
1/3 cup tahini (sesame paste)
1/2 cups lemon juice, more or less to taste
1 1/2 tsp salt, more or less to taste
1 clove garlic - more to taste
1 - 2 TBSP reserved liquid
1/4 tsp cumin or ground red pepper, optional.

Drain hummus, reserving liquid.

Peel and chop or crush garlic.

Put hummus, garlic, tahini, lemon juice and salt in food processor, process to thick paste.

Taste. From here on, your tastebuds dictate the ingredients. Add salt, lemon juice until mixture suits your taste. Add cumin or ground red pepper to taste if you like.  Slowly add (tsp) reserved liquid if too dry.

You can substitute two tablespoons of sesame seeds and a teaspoon of sesame oil if you can't find sesame paste, but you might need a little more liquid.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2007, 12:01:25 PM »
Do you have a food processor or a blender, Rocketturtle?  I have a recipe for hummus which uses ingredients that are canned or keep well in the refrigerator.  You could serve it with pita bread, which you could freeze and then take out of the freezer to thaw, or you could use flour tortilla wraps like you did for your rice with black beans and mango sauce or you could use it as a dip for fresh raw vegetables which you can cut up.

Here it is:

Small can (14 1/2 oz) hummus ("chickpeas";"garbanzo beans"; "ceci beans")
1/3 cup tahini (sesame paste)
1/2 cups lemon juice, more or less to taste
1 1/2 tsp salt, more or less to taste
1 clove garlic - more to taste
1 - 2 TBSP reserved liquid
1/4 tsp cumin or ground red pepper, optional.

Drain hummus, reserving liquid.

Peel and chop or crush garlic.

Put hummus, garlic, tahini, lemon juice and salt in food processor, process to thick paste.

Taste. From here on, your tastebuds dictate the ingredients. Add salt, lemon juice until mixture suits your taste. Add cumin or ground red pepper to taste if you like.  Slowly add (tsp) reserved liquid if too dry.

You can substitute two tablespoons of sesame seeds and a teaspoon of sesame oil if you can't find sesame paste, but you might need a little more liquid.
i love humus, with a bit of oil and vinegar dressing and a warm pita.
Misunderstood.