Author Topic: Confederate Flag appreciation thread.  (Read 6544 times)

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
Re: Confederate Flag appreciation thread.
« Reply #180 on: November 06, 2015, 01:26:53 PM »
For years, Ive occasionally worn a Celtic Cross necklace like the one in the photo. Never thought anything of it. Ive only just been told that here in Hungary, its a symbol of white supremacy  :hitler: Ive been told that I really shouldnt wear it.

Of course, I could be an arsehole, and keep wearing it anyway, because to me its a symbol of my Celtic heritage and certainly not of racist sentiment. However, it seems pointless to wear a symbol that many find divisive and offensive, just because the symbol represents something different to me.

This is both sad, unfair, and also very common.
It's the ultra-nationalists who set their claws into all the old symbolisms they can find, and "claim ownership" over them.

Some try to visibly claim them back, I've even seen an anarchist-punk type CD cover with a huge swastika on it, and obviously, this task is nearly impossible, I doubt their swastika-CD cover made much of a difference -.-
Maybe in time, some of these symbol-uses will fade, but we're probably talking centuries.

Might possibly work if a whole contrary movement decides to take a very similar symbol. Adding confusion everywhere.
But as you said, nearly impossible.

Turning symbols around works more easy when a name or symbol being used as an insult gets worn with pride by the insulted group.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #181 on: November 06, 2015, 01:55:45 PM »
For years, Ive occasionally worn a Celtic Cross necklace like the one in the photo. Never thought anything of it. Ive only just been told that here in Hungary, its a symbol of white supremacy  :hitler: Ive been told that I really shouldnt wear it.

Of course, I could be an arsehole, and keep wearing it anyway, because to me its a symbol of my Celtic heritage and certainly not of racist sentiment. However, it seems pointless to wear a symbol that many find divisive and offensive, just because the symbol represents something different to me.
Interesting. Will you not wear it to avoid offended feelings, or out of awareness in what people assume of you for wearing it?

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #182 on: November 06, 2015, 02:00:28 PM »
White supremacists in the US usually cloak themselves in a thin veneer of religious zeal.  They have co-opted the cross for their own ends.  As the Nazi's co-opted the swastika and flipped it around from it's far eastern origins.  It's sad that a symbol of good for many people gets tarnished by the idiocy and evil of these groups.  I happen to like the Celtic cross myself!   8)
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #183 on: November 06, 2015, 05:05:36 PM »
SO do I!

I just did a quick search and found these interesting uses of a swastika that have nothing to do with  The Third Reich:

Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Bastet

• Psychotic Mentally Deficient Deranged Bitch
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • MeOW!
« Reply #184 on: November 09, 2015, 04:54:33 AM »
At some point everything will be banned because offended feelings.
:kitten: OBSESSIVE AILUROPHILE :kitten:

It is far better for people to hate you for doing the right thing than for people to love you for doing the wrong thing. Never ever forget that.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #185 on: November 09, 2015, 12:37:41 PM »
At some point everything will be banned because offended feelings.

I find that line of thought dangerous and offensive, it should be banned :zoinks:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #186 on: November 09, 2015, 01:03:56 PM »
I find non-alcoholic beer offensive, it should be banned.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #187 on: November 09, 2015, 01:09:08 PM »
All this offensive talk in this thread and with no trigger warning at the top it should be banned :zoinks:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Bastet

• Psychotic Mentally Deficient Deranged Bitch
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • MeOW!
« Reply #188 on: November 09, 2015, 01:18:48 PM »
I think the act of banning should be banned check mate!
:kitten: OBSESSIVE AILUROPHILE :kitten:

It is far better for people to hate you for doing the right thing than for people to love you for doing the wrong thing. Never ever forget that.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #189 on: November 09, 2015, 01:38:24 PM »

... BUT WAIT!!!

I can no longer drink alcohol. I love O'Doul's Amber. It tastes like beer (pop) and it is as close to enjoyment as I can get.

You reminded me of a guy I met in Jamaica. Met him as a waiter and when I tried to order a "non-alcoholic beer,"  He just laughed and said in a barely understandable Jamaican accent,  "Nah, Mon. I don' think we have anything like that. Hey Mon, THIS is Jamaica, Mon!! You don' need to drink anything that is no' real, here. It is Jamaica!!"

He invited us to see his band play that night - Fucking Awesome - and we talked a bit more. I did order Jamaican beer several times that night. When the band was done playing at near dawn, I went to bed and HE went back to work at his day job.
 :viking:

Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #190 on: November 09, 2015, 02:01:08 PM »

... BUT WAIT!!!

I can no longer drink alcohol. I love O'Doul's Amber. It tastes like beer (pop) and it is as close to enjoyment as I can get.

You reminded me of a guy I met in Jamaica. Met him as a waiter and when I tried to order a "non-alcoholic beer,"  He just laughed and said in a barely understandable Jamaican accent,  "Nah, Mon. I don' think we have anything like that. Hey Mon, THIS is Jamaica, Mon!! You don' need to drink anything that is no' real, here. It is Jamaica!!"

He invited us to see his band play that night - Fucking Awesome - and we talked a bit more. I did order Jamaican beer several times that night. When the band was done playing at near dawn, I went to bed and HE went back to work at his day job.
 :viking:

We shall make an exception for O'Doul's Amber. ;)

I think I would like Jamaica.  :LOL:

Offline benjimanbreeg

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I do not have the right not to do so
« Reply #191 on: November 09, 2015, 06:04:24 PM »
We have awards and such for non whites who celebrate their heritages, yet if white people dare to do it, they are Nazis.  People are so brainwashed that it's comical. 
"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

"When men lead by words that are false as they preach
Fatality waits in the wings
Surrounded by fools behind walls that are breached
Beware of the jester that sings"

Leeeeeaaaave Benji alooooooone!  :bigcry:

Offline benjimanbreeg

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I do not have the right not to do so
« Reply #192 on: November 09, 2015, 06:05:33 PM »
Why is it never mentioned that there were slave states in the North? 
"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

"When men lead by words that are false as they preach
Fatality waits in the wings
Surrounded by fools behind walls that are breached
Beware of the jester that sings"

Leeeeeaaaave Benji alooooooone!  :bigcry:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #193 on: November 09, 2015, 06:53:32 PM »
We have awards and such for non whites who celebrate their heritages, yet if white people dare to do it, they are Nazis.  People are so brainwashed that it's comical.

You don't have any national holidays celebrating your heritage?  :orly:
:gopher:

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #194 on: November 09, 2015, 07:21:20 PM »
Why is it never mentioned that there were slave states in the North?
It was really union states, seceded states, and western territories, but north and south sums it up well enough. There were also union states that permitted slavery but weren't part of the Confederate states which seceded, but they were boarder states quite literally caught and placed between union and confederate, though all of those but one are considered southern states; Missouri is considered midwest.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 07:54:12 PM by Jack »