Author Topic: Google Doodles  (Read 21059 times)

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
Re: Google Doodles
« Reply #585 on: June 19, 2020, 04:56:13 AM »
Today's Google Doodle is the 155th Anniversary of Juneteenth.

In 1863, Abraham Lincoln’s Emancipation Proclamation freed slaves in the United States. For many Americans, this simple statement has been taught to us in grade school for decades. As a young Black girl growing up in Memphis, I remember my teachers teaching this, too. What I was not taught, however, was the FULL story of American slavery and its slow and painful end, even after Lincoln’s Proclamation. At its best, this limited narrative reduces the struggle for Black liberation in America to a singular moment. And at its worst, it perpetuates an incomplete truth that robs every American of understanding what actually happened after slavery was reformed.

Today’s video Doodle, illustrated by Los Angeles-based guest artist Loveis Wise and narrated by actor and activist LeVar Burton, honors the 155th anniversary of Juneteenth. Short for “June Nineteenth,” Juneteenth marks the true end of chattel slavery across the United States— which didn’t actually occur until 1865, two and a half years after the Emancipation Proclamation. Specifically, it marks the day when enslaved Black people in Galveston, Texas (one of the westernmost points in the Confederate South) finally received news of their liberation by Union Major General Gordon Granger. He arrived with 1,800 federal troops in order to ensure compliance in Confederate states,  many of which continued to defy the executive order years after it was mandated.

I can’t begin to imagine what it must have felt like to wait in anticipation for freedom and then finally hear the words spoken aloud. After recieving the news, the first acts of freedom included locating family members who were sold and shipped off during slavery, legally changing their own names, and creating schools and places to learn, which slaves had been systematically denied before. Couples obtained marriage certificates to form legal union with the person they loved. And later, they built towns like Freedmen's Town in Houston, TX, established universities like Tuskegee in Alabama, and created a Black Wall Street in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

Though widely celebrated by the community in its first years, Juneteenth’s absence in the mainstream U.S. historical narrative has made it an unknown holiday to many for decades. The 1960s Civil Rights Era saw a resurgence in Juneteenth awareness, leading to the creation of today’s two largest Juneteenth celebrations in Milwaukee and Minneapolis. Later in 1979, U.S. Representative Al Edwards introduced legislation in Texas to officially recognize the holiday, making it a state holiday the following year.

Over time, this growing awareness of Juneteenth has led to an exponential growth of events in cities across the nation. These celebrations have included rodeos featuring black cowboys, parades with gorgeous floats, readings of the Proclamation, songs like “Lift Every Voice and Sing,” and much more.

I didn’t grow up celebrating Juneteenth. It wasn’t until I attended Hampton University, a historically Black university in Virginia (and home of Emancipation Oak, the site of the first Southern reading of the Emancipation Proclamation), that I learned about the holiday. I was shocked that schools back home hadn’t taught us about the day and that my family was completely unaware of it.

But my initial disappointment has shifted to optimism as I’ve witnessed a resurgence of this day in the American consciousness. For example, in the past week, Google Search interest in "Juneteenth meaning" spiked +850%, with the most searched query being “What is Juneteenth?” To me, history is a living, breathing, and changing testimony. And now that history can be accessed and shaped in ways generations before would’ve never thought possible.

Today, I hope folks across the nation commemorate Juneteenth by remembering and sharing the stories of those who lived in slavery before us and those who died for our freedom. I hope they celebrate it by creating space for expressions of Black joy and triumph, as well as teaching that June 19, 1865 was just the beginning. I hope they celebrate it by watching today’s Doodle, which aims to reflect how freedom in America is a journey. Even with executive orders, amendments, civil rights bills, and advancements in technology, the struggle to be treated fair and equal continues. And yet, despite all this, Black Americans still remain hopeful. I hope that people can relate to the basic human desire for liberty, equality, and access to opportunities to create a better life for our families and generations that follow.

Juneteenth is an American story about persistence, freedom, and joy no matter the obstacle. May this year's celebration provide an opportunity to honor the progress that's been made and reflect on the important changes that still remain ahead.

“...Now let us march on ‘til victory is won.”

—Angelica McKinley
Project Creative Director, 155th Anniversary of Juneteenth Google Doodle
:gopher:

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #586 on: June 19, 2020, 06:24:37 AM »

I don't like "Juneteenth."
I am proud that something was finally done for those slaves, seventy years after we created our all inclusive constitution, but calling the day by a slur used by people who do not have enough regard for what it means to even say the date properly lessens much of the Way Late "Good" that might have been done.

I know, "Emancipation Proclamation" is a mouthful, but some things are worth saying AND believing over and over again.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #587 on: June 19, 2020, 10:56:10 AM »
Juneteenth doesn't commemorate the date of the emancipation proclamation, although I didn't know it's used as a slur.  :dunno:

Offline SBI_Patience

• It all happens in the Aspies Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Patience² = Banter&¾
    • Midnight's Instagram
« Reply #588 on: June 20, 2020, 06:39:46 AM »

Today's doodle - Northern hemisphere summer time.
Formerly known as superboyian.
i2 is well better than watching daytime TV. :zoinks:

Offline SBI_Patience

• Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Patience² = Banter&¾
    • Midnight's Instagram
« Reply #589 on: June 20, 2020, 06:46:05 AM »

There's even one the southern hemisphere, the wintertime season.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #590 on: June 20, 2020, 01:36:54 PM »
The US wasn't included in the northern hemisphere.  :lol1:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #591 on: June 21, 2020, 04:56:05 AM »
Today's Google Doodle is Father's Day 2020.

Whether they're near or far, make Dad a little piece of art from your heart in today’s interactive, digital card-maker Doodle.

Happy Father’s Day!

It's an interactive doodle, so here's a link too. https://www.google.com/doodles/fathers-day-2020-june-21

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #592 on: June 23, 2020, 07:49:14 AM »
Juneteenth doesn't commemorate the date of the emancipation proclamation, although I didn't know it's used as a slur.  :dunno:

I'll bet you did not grow up in the south. It is used as a slur to minimize any perceivable accomplishment by a black person.

Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #593 on: June 23, 2020, 08:01:11 AM »
My daughter made a "Happy Father's Day" banner of cute lettering she ("was practicing her calligraphy") had strung together and draped across the room.

Seems youngish, I know, but she is not a typical nineteen year old.
She still leaves rocks on the sidewalk with uplifting messages for strangers to find.
My favorite was a rock where she wrote, "In case no said it, Thank You."   Her efforts are almost an art form to me.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 08:05:03 AM by DirtDawg »

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #594 on: June 23, 2020, 10:27:25 AM »

I'll bet you did not grow up in the south. It is used as a slur to minimize any perceivable accomplishment by a black person.

I did grow up in the south, but it was extreme white redneck type of south where there were no black people, and our household was only one of three in town which had non-whites, so people just assumed I'm black. I just figured since Juneteenth is technically a Texas holiday, it might be more of a local thing.  :dunno:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #595 on: June 23, 2020, 08:50:56 PM »

I did grow up in the south, but it was extreme white redneck type of south where there were no black people, and our household was only one of three in town which had non-whites, so people just assumed I'm black. I just figured since Juneteenth is technically a Texas holiday, it might be more of a local thing.  :dunno:

Possibly that and also it was used often when I was a kid, around 1961. Might be out of fashion.

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #596 on: June 23, 2020, 09:14:01 PM »

See, I had no idea that rednecks even cared about what race the local gopher population is.

Our rednecks are called bogans, and they give their kids names like "Jack Daniel" (I actually know some bogans who did that).

https://thingsboganslike.com/a-bogue-by-any-other-name/
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #597 on: June 24, 2020, 08:08:31 AM »
 :lol1:

Some of those names are seriously cringeworthy.  eg Porscha. Poor kid!
I see that our Genesis got himself on the list.  :apondering: well, maybe that woudn't be quite so cool as an RL given name
Reminded me of a couple I knew who called their daughter Tao.  Picked it out of a baby name book.  And they proudly explained to me what it means...extremely approxinately speaking   :LOL: Nothing wrong with that, you say?  Maybe not, except they pronounced it just like Theo  :fp:
I managed to keep schtumm.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #598 on: June 24, 2020, 06:06:10 PM »

See, I had no idea that rednecks even cared about what race the local gopher population is.

Our rednecks are called bogans, and they give their kids names like "Jack Daniel" (I actually know some bogans who did that).

https://thingsboganslike.com/a-bogue-by-any-other-name/
Some of the rednecks here are called hillbillies.  :zoinks:  I went to school with a guy named Roger Rogers. Though I think his mom remarried and that was just an unfortunate circumstance for him.  :lol1:

Offline SBI_Patience

• Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Patience² = Banter&¾
    • Midnight's Instagram
« Reply #599 on: June 25, 2020, 03:13:09 AM »

Todays doodle: Dragon Boat Festival.
Todays Reach: Canada, Bulgaria, China, Australia and New Zealand.

Each year on the fifth day of the fifth month of the lunar calendar, revelers flock to the banks of rivers and canals to celebrate the Dragon Boat Festival, or Duanwujie. Dating back more than 2,000 years, the holiday is honored with unique customs in countries all across Asia. Among the most popular traditions in many countries are the dragon boat races, which draw teams from around the world to compete in colorfully painted boats, like those depicted in today’s Doodle artwork.

Percussion rings out across the water as a drummer on each boat keeps the rowers in sync. As the teams approach the finish, the most nimble racers can often be seen stretching far off the fronts of their boats; the first to snatch a flag from a buoy or cross the finish line earns their team the victory.

Meanwhile, spectators are known to enjoy one of the holiday’s most popular treats called zongzi. These triangular dumplings of sticky rice can be topped with meat or egg yolk and are typically tied up in leaves. And it’s believed that if you can balance an egg upright at noon, you’ll have good luck for a year.

Source: https://www.google.com/doodles/dragon-boat-festival-2020