Author Topic: Google Doodles  (Read 21058 times)

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
Re: Google Doodles
« Reply #300 on: April 04, 2017, 06:21:08 PM »
Why do you have a loss of faith in technologists?  :orly:
:gopher:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #301 on: April 08, 2017, 06:24:24 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is Mary Pickford’s 125th Birthday.

Lights, camera, action! Today’s doodle honors the “Queen of the Movies,” Mary Pickford. An actress, a film director, and a producer, Mary Pickford proved that actors weren’t relegated to careers in front of the camera. She co-founded the film studio United Artists and was one of the original 36 founders of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

Before she became one of the most powerful women who has ever worked in Hollywood, she was “the girl with the curls,” and one of the most beloved stars of the silent film era. She appeared in as many as 50 films per year, and eventually negotiated wages that were equal to half of each of her films’ profits. She went on to demand full creative and financial control of her films, a feat still unheard of to this day. 

She used her stardom to bring awareness to causes close to her heart. She sold Liberty Bonds during World War I, created the Motion Picture Relief Fund, and revolutionized the film industry by giving independent film producers a way to distribute their films outside the studio system. She won an Academy Award for Best Actress, for her role in Coquette (1929), and an honorary Academy Award for lifetime achievement in 1976.

Today, we pay tribute to Mary Pickford’s enterprising leadership on what would be her 125th birthday.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #302 on: April 18, 2017, 05:52:08 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is Esther Afua Ocloo’s 98th Birthday.

As both an entrepreneur and an advocate for microlending, “Auntie Ocloo” worked tirelessly to help others like her succeed. Esther Afua Ocloo had only six shillings to her name — less than a dollar — when she made and then sold her first jar of marmalade as a teenager in the 1930s.

Esther was determined to expand her livelihood of making marmalade and orange juice, but she needed a loan to increase production, and credit was hard to come by for women with little economic resources. It took persistence and a supply contract to secure the money to start her company, Nkulenu Industries.

After traveling to England to learn the latest techniques in food processing, Esther returned home and shared those skills with other Ghanaian women. Perhaps more importantly, she taught them everything she knew about starting and running a business, which put more money in their pockets. She made such an impact that in 1975 she was invited to the first U.N. World Conference on Women.

Esther and other advisors knew that lending money to women could have a ripple effect, improving the prosperity and health of the women as well as their communities. But because they lacked collateral, low-income women were often ignored by banks. So in 1979, Esther helped found and became Chairman of the Board of Directors of Women’s World Banking, which provides millions of low-income women with the small loans needed to reach their financial goals.

On what would have been her 98th birthday, today’s Doodle shows Esther empowering the women of Ghana with the tools to improve their lives and communities.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #303 on: April 21, 2017, 06:56:54 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is Earth Day 2017.

Happy Earth Day 2017!

Today, we honor the rich, vast Earth that’s sustained generations before us and continues to nurture life and inspire wonder. At an estimated 4.543 billion years of age, the Earth is still the only known object in the Universe known to harbor life. It’s also the densest planet in the Solar System and the largest of the four terrestrial planets. That’s quite an awe-inspiring roster of qualities, if you ask us.

Today’s Doodle follows the story of a fox who dreams about an Earth that’s been polluted and adversely affected by climate change. The fox wakes with a startle, and urgently starts making small lifestyle changes to care for the Earth. Along the way, the fox enlists friends – including Momo the cat, and Google Weather’s favorite frog – to join its quest to protect and nurture the environment.

To combat things like coral bleaching and pollution, the three eco-rangers are inspired to take action such as eating less meat, carpooling, and unplugging unused electronic devices. That’s some heroic work for tiny animals!

Celebrating Earth Day on Google Search

But the Earth Day celebration doesn’t end there! By clicking beyond the Doodle to Google Search, you’ll find easy Earth Day tips to help you do your part in saving our planet, including supporting critical conservation efforts such as wildlife conservation with World Wildlife Fund, coral reef conservation with The Ocean Agency, and rainforest conservation with The Jane Goodall Institute.

Whatever you do today, we hope you’re able to take a moment to savor and cherish this boundless, stunning Earth that we inhabit.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 07:02:11 PM by Gopher Gary »

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #304 on: April 22, 2017, 06:06:44 PM »

I heard it was marijuana day this week. Sorry I missed it.

Wonder how Google responded.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #305 on: April 24, 2017, 02:57:22 PM »

It was 20-4-17 here. So no marijuana day where I live.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #306 on: April 24, 2017, 06:26:32 PM »

I checked, and Google failed to acknowledge waster day.  :zoinks:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #307 on: April 27, 2017, 12:50:48 AM »
Yesterday's Google Doodle was Cassini Spacecraft Dives Between Saturn and its Rings.

Saturn, get ready for your close-up! Today the Cassini spacecraft starts a series of swoops between Saturn and its rings. These cosmic acrobatics are part of Cassini's dramatic "Grand Finale," a set of orbits offering Earthlings an unprecedented look at the second largest planet in our solar system.

By plunging into this fascinating frontier, Cassini will help scientists learn more about the origins, mass, and age of Saturn's rings, as well as the mysteries of the gas giant's interior. And of course there will be breathtaking additions to Cassini's already stunning photo gallery. https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/cassini/images/index.html Cassini recently revealed some secrets of Saturn's icy moon Enceladus -- including conditions friendly to life!  Who knows what marvels this hardy explorer will uncover in the final chapter of its mission?

Cassini is a joint endeavor of NASA, the European Space Agency (ESA), and the Italian space agency (ASI). The spacecraft began its 2.2 billion–mile journey 20 years ago and has been hanging out with Saturn since 2004. Later this year, Cassini will say goodbye and become part of Saturn when it crashes through the planet’s atmosphere. But first, it has some spectacular sightseeing to do!

NASA's Grand Finale toolkit lets you dive into the gap right along with Cassini. Enjoy the show!

Doodle by Nate Swinehart

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #308 on: April 27, 2017, 01:38:18 PM »
https://www.google.com/doodles/kings-day-2017

The Dutch are celebrating in orange today.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #309 on: April 27, 2017, 07:55:36 PM »

Did you buy some street fodder?  :orly:

Here's your doodle so other people can see it here.

King's Day 2017

King’s Day (formerly “Queen’s Day”) is the annual Dutch national holiday in honor of King Willem-Alexander, who turns 50 today. This day is celebrated all over the Netherlands, but Amsterdam is the centerpiece of the festivities, with over 750,000 people traveling here to partake in the fun. The day starts bright and early and calls for partiers to put on their best orange outfits (the national color) and take to the streets in the morning.

On this day, street-selling regulations are lifted, so the entire city becomes an enormous open air flea market for shopping second-hand treasures. Kids sell their toys, artists sell their handicrafts, homemakers sell delicious baked goods...and it’s all found at discounted “friends and family” style rates. This element of the cultural tradition poignantly illustrates the entrepreneurial and community-driven spirit of the country.

Today’s Doodle by Dutch Doodle artist Gerben Steenks salutes the King on his 50th birthday year. Happy King’s Day to all!

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #310 on: April 27, 2017, 11:56:48 PM »

Now wondering if Trump is Dutch.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #311 on: April 28, 2017, 01:14:01 AM »
 :lol1:

The Dutch wear orange on special occasions. Orange people in day to day life are mainly living in UK urban settings I think.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #312 on: April 28, 2017, 11:07:05 PM »
:lol1:

The Dutch wear orange on special occasions. Orange people in day to day life are mainly living in UK urban settings I think.

You forgot to tell me if you bought any street fodder.  >:( It sounds like national yard sale day.  :lol1:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #313 on: April 28, 2017, 11:10:08 PM »
Lately I keep getting here too late and missing the doodles.  :lol1:

Yesterday's Google Doodle was Marie Harel’s 256th Birthday.

If not for Marie Harel, born April 28, 1761, brie might have no gooey counterpart. Harel, who’s credited with creating the first camembert in 1791, is said to have encountered a cheese whisperer at the Normandy manor where she worked as a dairymaid. According to legend, a priest (purportedly from the region of Brie) took shelter at Beaumoncel near Vimoutiers during the French Revolution, and he shared his secret for making the now-famous soft-centered cheese. Harel added her own signature, packaging the cheese in its iconic wooden boxes.

Like brie, camembert is made from raw cow’s milk, but without cream. The cheese is yellow in color, with an earthy aroma, creamy taste, and an edible white rind. Today, only camembert made from unpasteurized milk receives the designation Camembert de Normandie. The village of Vimoutiers, home of the Camembert Museum, boasts a statue of a cow — as well as one of Harel, who made such a delicious contribution to French cheese culture.

Our Doodle celebrates Harel’s 256th birthday with a slideshow that illustrates how camembert is made, step by step. It's drawn in a charming, nostalgic style reminiscent of early 20th-century French poster artists, such as Hervé Morvan and Raymond Savignac.

Bon appetit!

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #314 on: April 28, 2017, 11:33:18 PM »
This doodle is showing today in China, Tama’s 18th Birthday.

Today’s Doodle celebrates little Tama, the beloved stationmaster of Kishi Station in Kinokawa, Wakayama, Japan.

For many years, the train station was lightly traveled, causing officials to close it in 2004. But in 2007, the railway appointed Tama the calico cat to be the stationmaster. The new local celebrity drew crowds of travelers to see her in her office, where she sometimes wore an official cat-sized cap. Not only did Tama draw tourists to her new cat-themed cafe and gift shop (even the station itself got a cat-themed makeover!), but her celebrity also kept the train service open for local residents.

Though Tama passed away in 2015, a new kitty called Nitama (or “Tama the second”) keeps the trains running and poses for selfies with passengers. 

Happy birthday to the world’s first feline stationmaster!

Doodle by Lydia Nichols

Here's a picture I googled of Tama.  :heart: