Author Topic: Google Doodles  (Read 21051 times)

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
Re: Google Doodles
« Reply #285 on: March 13, 2017, 05:53:47 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is Holi Festival 2017.

Today, the Google letters are taking on a fresh set of colors in honor of the Holi festival. Coinciding with the arrival of spring, the vibrant celebration looks a lot like the Doodle: people run around happily covering each other in a rainbow of powdery hues.

Amid the cloud of red, blue, yellow, green, and everything in between, festival-goers can often be found laughing, singing, and dancing in the streets. The joyous event, which takes place in India, Nepal, and other countries around the world, traditionally marks the triumph of good over evil. It also gives family and friends a chance to simply come together, enjoying a spirited “Festival of Colors” that undoubtedly lives up to its name.
:gopher:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #286 on: March 13, 2017, 05:56:26 PM »
I've never heard of the Holi Festival, and I didn't know it's celebrated in the US. It looks like wicked good fun.  :thumbup:

http://www.festivalofcolorsusa.com/festival-of-colors/news/the-many-shades-of-love/

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #287 on: March 16, 2017, 06:16:44 AM »
https://www.google.com/doodles/netherlands-elections-2017

Don't know how to share this the way I want it from a phone.  :hahaha:
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #288 on: March 16, 2017, 08:40:03 PM »
 :plus:  Here's your doodle

Netherlands Elections 2017

Today is Election Day! It’s been 4 years since the last vote to decide which politicians will win the 150 seats in the lower house of parliament. In the Netherlands, it’s common for elections to  result in the forming of a coalition government. Usually several months after the elections are over, a regeerakkoord, or coalition agreement, is published to inform the public about agreed policies.

Happy voting!

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #289 on: March 17, 2017, 11:35:49 AM »
Thank you.

Our national peroxide populist with weird hairdo did not become the biggest. So it was even a somewhat happy after voting. The Erdogan admiring party did get 2% of the votes though. So now we have different flavours of populists in the second chamber.

We'll live.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #290 on: March 17, 2017, 04:09:04 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is St. Patrick's Day 2017.

To celebrate St. Patrick’s Day, today’s Doodle takes us to the mystical Skellig Michael, a remote island just off the coast of County Kerry, Ireland. The breathtaking destination is a World Heritage Site and home to many species of seabirds — like puffins, gannets, and razorbills — that perch atop the island’s summit. If you’re brave enough to scale the 600 steps to the top of the rocky precipice, you’ll see a magnificent view of the mainland and the Atlantic Ocean from 714 feet above sea level. The Skelligs are part of the Kerry Gaeltacht, where locals speak Irish, and you may hear “céad míle fáilte,” or “a hundred thousand welcomes,” if you visit.

Skellig Michael appeared on the big screen in 2015, and since then, more and more people have been coming to take in the stunning scenery. Just for fun, Doodler Matt Cruickshank explored the island’s cinematic claim to fame. He says, “I thoroughly enjoyed populating this magical island with shamrock people, even one from a shamrock galaxy far, far away.”

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #291 on: March 20, 2017, 05:41:07 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is Gopher_Gary.  :zoinks:

First Day of Spring 2017 (Northern Hemisphere)

Today is the spring equinox — when the day and night are equal in length. The word equinox comes from the Latin for equal and night. Almost everywhere in the world today, nighttime and daytime are each 12 hours.

We use the equinox to mark the change of seasons, as the balance of light shifts to make for longer days or nights. It usually means that it's time to hunker down for colder seasons, or time to rise and shine for warmer ones, as in the case of our furry friend the mouse! You may also notice that on the equinox, the sun rises directly in the east and sets directly in the west, whereas at other times in the year, it appears off-center if you're facing those directions. Today, we mark the equinox with a Doodle to celebrate the changing seasons.

Today is also First Day of Fall 2017 (Southern Hemisphere)

Today is the autumn equinox — when the day and night are equal in length. The word equinox comes from the Latin for equal and night. Almost everywhere in the world today, nighttime and daytime are each 12 hours.

We use the equinox to mark the change of seasons, as the balance of light shifts to make for longer days or nights. It usually means that it's time to time to rise and shine for warmer seasons, or hunker down for colder ones, as in the case of our furry friend the mouse! You may also notice that on the equinox, the sun rises directly in the east and sets directly in the west, whereas at other times in the year, it appears off-center if you're facing those directions. Today, we mark the equinox with a Doodle to celebrate the changing seasons.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 05:43:39 PM by Gopher Gary »

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #292 on: March 20, 2017, 05:47:39 PM »
In other parts of the world, today's Google Doodle is Nowruz 2017.

For more than 3,000 years, people of Persian ancestry have been celebrating Nowruz, the return of spring and the start of a new year. A combination of the Persian words “now” for new and “ruz” for day, it is often celebrated at the exact moment of the vernal (spring) equinox, when the days start getting longer, and the celebrations can continue for up to two weeks.

Nowruz is a time of joyous renewal. Visits with friends and family, a clean house and new clothes, and special spring foods are traditional ways to celebrate the holiday. Perhaps the most enduring image of Nowruz is gathering together with friends and family around a bonfire. People also like to decorate with springtime flowers, like the hyacinths and tulips in today’s Doodle.

Happy Nowruz!

Also today is Mother's Day 2017 (MENA)

This doodle is displaying in North Africa. Google had no comments for this doodle.  :dunno:

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Delicious and refreshing.
« Reply #293 on: March 20, 2017, 06:05:06 PM »
Aww! The mouse ones are so cute! :)
:dog:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #294 on: March 20, 2017, 08:35:46 PM »
Aww! The mouse ones are so cute! :)

I like the spring one because the calendar on the wall has the Google Doodle from last year's spring equinox.  :orly:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #295 on: March 31, 2017, 07:42:45 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is Doodle 4 Google 2017 - US Winner

Nine years in, the U.S. Doodle 4 Google Contest draws thousands of creative submissions from talented young artists across the country. Roughly 140,000 participants answered this year's prompt, "What I see for the future." Some imagined a future with modernized homes, others dreamed of a planet without endangered animals, while some saw a compassionate world built around communal harmony.

Five incredibly talented national finalists spent the day at Google HQ in Mountain View, California. Of those five masterpieces, Connecticut 10th grader Sarah Harrison's Doodle, "A Peaceful Future" was chosen as the national winner! Today, millions in the U.S. can enjoy her masterpeice on the Google homepage.

Sarah says, “My future is a world where we can all learn to love each other despite our religion, gender, race, ethnicity, or sexuality. I dream of a future where everyone is safe and accepted wherever they go, whoever they are.”

Thank you to all those who submitted and to our finalists for sharing your creativity and imagination with us. And a heartfelt congratulations to our national winner, Sarah Harrison!

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #296 on: April 01, 2017, 03:37:07 PM »
There's no Google Doodle in the US, but under the Google search field there is a message: The smart yard you never knew you always wanted is here. Introducing Google Gnome.

The link leads to this page with this video.  :lol1:

https://store.google.com/magazine/gnome?utm_source=google&utm_medium=HPP&utm_campaign=gnome_aprilfools_2017

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #297 on: April 03, 2017, 07:29:34 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is Fazlur Rahman Khan’s 88th Birthday.

Today we celebrate structural engineer Fazlur R. Khan's 88th birthday.

Below, get a glimpse of his life, accomplishments, and passions in the words of his daughter, Yasmin Sabina Khan:

As a youth my father never imagined that one day he would be building skyscrapers. He was born in East Bengal, British India, which became East Pakistan in 1947 and then Bangladesh in 1971. Graduate studies first brought him to the United States and the promise of challenging work drew him to a busy design office in Chicago – that of Skidmore, Owings & Merrill – where he remained until his death in 1982. A surge in demand for residential and office space in the 1960s and early 1970s made tall buildings desirable, but traditional design and construction methods were uneconomical, having evolved for shorter structures. He recognized that a new approach to skyscraper design was needed and set his mind to the task.

In 1972, at 42 years old, he was named Construction’s Man of the Year by Engineering News-Record. His pioneering work in skyscraper design was rejuvenating the design profession as he developed new ways of framing tall buildings, dramatically improving structural efficiency and economy. In 1965 he had initiated the “trussed tube” structural system with his design for Chicago’s 100-story John Hancock Center. By 1971 he was designing the world’s tallest building, the Sears Tower, using his latest innovation, the “bundled tube” (the Sears Tower, now Willis Tower, remained the “world’s tallest” for the next 22 years). His innovations subsequently formed the basis of tall building design.

A humanitarian in his personal as well as professional life, he was inspired by the belief that his work had a positive impact and he encouraged other engineers not to lose track of the purpose of their profession. When he was named Construction’s Man of the Year, he reflected, “The technical man must not be lost in his own technology. He must be able to appreciate life, and life is art, drama, music and, most importantly, people.”

Doodle by Lydia Nichols

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #298 on: April 03, 2017, 07:31:42 PM »
Today is also Children's Day 2017 (Taiwan).

Google has no comments for this doodle, but I think it's cute.  :green:

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #299 on: April 04, 2017, 04:43:22 AM »
“The technical man must not be lost in his own technology. He must be able to appreciate life, and life is art, drama, music and, most importantly, people.”

Never heard of the man before, but I really love that quote .

That almost restores my faith in technologists.