Educational

Author Topic: Google Doodles  (Read 21061 times)

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
Re: Google Doodles
« Reply #240 on: December 18, 2016, 10:32:26 AM »
Today's Google Doodle is Steve Biko’s 70th Birthday.

Black is beautiful. Steve Biko knew this fully well, and fought to spread this message across South Africa at the height of the apartheid movement in the 1960s and 1970s.

While in medical school, Biko co-founded the Black Consciousness Movement, which rejected apartheid policies and encouraged black people to take pride in their racial identities and cultural heritages. Biko famously said, “Black Consciousness is an attitude of the mind and a way of life, the most positive call to emanate from the black world for a long time.”

In February of 1973, the pro-apartheid government banned Biko for anti-apartheid activism. Under this ban, Biko wasn’t allowed to speak to more than one person at a time, was forbidden to speak in public and to the media, and was forced to stay in a single district. In spite of this, Biko continued to form grassroots organizations and organize protests, including the Soweto Uprising in June of 1976.

On the 70th anniversary of Biko’s birth, we remember his courage and the important legacy he left behind. Thank you, Steve Biko, for dedicating your life to the pursuit of equality for all.
:gopher:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #241 on: December 18, 2016, 10:35:49 AM »
I just noticed this awesome one too, but it wasn't shown in the US, so I missed it before.

On December 14, 2016December 14, 2016, the Google doodle was the 105th Anniversary of First Expedition to Reach the South Pole.

Today marks the 105th anniversary of Roald Amundsen's expedition to the South Pole. Known as "the last of the Vikings," Amundsen was a lifelong adventurer with a gift for organization and planning. "Victory awaits him who has everything in order," wrote Amundsen, and his South Pole journey was a perfect illustration of that principle.

Amundsen's expedition party consisted of 19 people and nearly 100 Greenland sled dogs. The dogs -- along with the use of skis to cross treacherous terrain -- were key to the team's success. And like their canine companions, the explorers knew that playfulness could help them endure the extreme conditions on the icy frontier. While prepping from Framheim, their base camp in the Bay of Whales, the team maintained a sense of fun. They held guess-the-temperature contests, celebrated birthdays, and told stories. When a subset of the crew made the final trek to the South Pole in December of 1911, their camaraderie and careful preparation helped them win the race to "the bottom of the world."

In honor of that achievement, today's Doodle depicts the crew at the finish line, taking a moment to bask in the glory while the Antarctic wind whips outside their tent.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #242 on: December 18, 2016, 08:27:35 PM »
They are both really cool ones. :plus: Gary. :)
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Bastet

• Psychotic Mentally Deficient Deranged Bitch
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • MeOW!
« Reply #243 on: December 18, 2016, 08:42:24 PM »
:kitten: OBSESSIVE AILUROPHILE :kitten:

It is far better for people to hate you for doing the right thing than for people to love you for doing the wrong thing. Never ever forget that.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #244 on: December 18, 2016, 08:45:01 PM »

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #245 on: December 20, 2016, 07:38:08 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is Winter Solstice 2016 (Northern Hemisphere).

Across the northern hemisphere, people everywhere celebrate the winter solstice with seasonal holidays, celebrations, and festivals to remind us of the lengthening days ahead. The solstice is named for the brief time when the sun appears to pause its movement across the sky. At that moment, the tilt and rotation of the earth shifts our view of the sun’s direction from southward to northward, causing it to hang momentarily suspended.  Doodler Nate Swinehart created a family of anthropomorphized rocks to commemorate the winter equinox. After tonight’s long darkness, we’ll look forward to the sun hanging out a little longer each day.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #246 on: December 21, 2016, 02:37:04 AM »
Aah, it will be at 11:44 am, where I am, my diary tells me.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Bastet

• Psychotic Mentally Deficient Deranged Bitch
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • MeOW!
« Reply #247 on: December 22, 2016, 01:30:20 PM »
:kitten: OBSESSIVE AILUROPHILE :kitten:

It is far better for people to hate you for doing the right thing than for people to love you for doing the wrong thing. Never ever forget that.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #248 on: December 22, 2016, 05:52:52 PM »
 :thumbup:   :plus:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #249 on: December 22, 2016, 11:29:51 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is Holidays 2016 (Day 1)

‘Tis the season for song! Wintertime brings with it a number of traditions, but few as old or joyful as caroling. Dating back thousands of years, the original carols were songs specific to certain regions, and shared by wandering minstrels on their travels between towns. It wasn’t until the early 1800’s that the practice of caroling as we know it, spread across England and western Europe. During this time, cities began hosting outdoor orchestras that played songs for people to sing along with as they walked by.

Today’s Doodle features a merry crew of carolers, with a certain triangle player waiting for his moment…..

This is the one showing in warmer climates:

Warm up your singing voice and get ready to bring some summer cheer! Today's Doodle celebrates the season with our festive chorus of melody-makers. What better spot to set up than under a shady palm tree with your loved ones? From this family of letters to you, happy holidays!

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #250 on: December 24, 2016, 07:13:12 AM »
Today's Google Doodle is Holidays 2016 (Day 2)

Happy holidays! This is the perfect time of year to cozy up to the window with your favorite blanket or mug, and watch the snow fall. While you’re there, sketch a foggy doodle or two (or five) of your own.

This is the one shown in the southern hemisphere:

It's the season for fun in the sun! Head to the beach and make sand angels, with starfish and shells providing a festive backdrop. Whether you're relaxing by the seaside or gathering at home with family and friends, we wish you very happy holidays.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #251 on: December 24, 2016, 07:14:14 AM »
Under the Google search field, there's also this link to track Santa's journey on Google maps.  :orly:

https://santatracker.google.com/tracker.html

Right now he's in Australia. :GA:

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #252 on: December 25, 2016, 07:07:24 AM »
I didn't go to the beach but I still got burnt, grr.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #253 on: December 25, 2016, 09:42:40 AM »
Today's Google Doodle is Holidays 2016 (Day 3)

Tis the season! During this festive time of year, there’s nothing quite like lounging around with family and friends. Here’s to a day filled with love, joy, and plenty of cheer to go around.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #254 on: December 29, 2016, 06:19:16 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is Charles Macintosh’s 250th Birthday.

It’s a wonder how the weatherbeaten Brits coped before Scottish chemist Charles Macintosh invented his eponymous waterproof coat. His invention, patented in 1823, came about as he experimented with coal-tar naphtha and rubber and realised they could be fused together with fabric to create a waterproof surface. These days in the U.K., it’s common to call any type of raincoat a "Mac."

Today’s Doodle shows Macintosh enjoying a Scottish rain shower whilst testing his ingenious invention.