Educational

Author Topic: Google Doodles  (Read 21057 times)

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
Re: Google Doodles
« Reply #180 on: May 30, 2016, 09:56:40 PM »
There was no doodle for Memorial Day.  :dunno:
:gopher:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #181 on: May 31, 2016, 02:56:21 PM »
That's odd, isn't it? :-\

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #182 on: May 31, 2016, 06:03:42 PM »
I thought so. There was a tiny American flag with a yellow ribbon, underneath the Google search field, but I expected a doodle.  :dunno:

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #183 on: June 01, 2016, 01:18:04 AM »
Magnificent Milo wrote an article on Breitbart about that

http://www.breitbart.com/milo/2016/05/31/googles-disgraceful-memorial-day-dodge/
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 03:19:00 AM by Al Swearengen »
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline MLA

• Elitest Aspie of the Aspie Elite
  • Modulator
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • The internet isn't a library, it's a stage.
« Reply #184 on: June 01, 2016, 09:51:07 AM »

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #185 on: June 02, 2016, 10:16:43 PM »
Magnificent Milo wrote an article on Breitbart about that

http://www.breitbart.com/milo/2016/05/31/googles-disgraceful-memorial-day-dodge/

That's some of the same stuff I was thinking.  :orly:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #186 on: June 02, 2016, 10:21:14 PM »
I'm here after midnight so missing posting yesterday's doodle Lotte Reiniger’s 117th birthday.

Lotte Reininger created visually stunning and fantastical films using black cardboard, scissors, and boundless imagination. Pre-dating Walt Disney by nearly a decade, Reiniger pioneered a style of animation that relied on thousands of photos of paper cut-out silhouettes arranged to tell a story. It was a painstaking process that involved moving paper characters ever so slightly and snapping a photo of each movement.

Nearly a century later, Reiniger continues to inspire animators and artists, including doodler Olivia Huynh who built almost everything, from the puppets to the top down camera rig. On what would have been her 117th birthday, we celebrate Reiniger’s limitless creativity and pioneering spirit.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #187 on: June 02, 2016, 10:23:11 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is Copa América Centenario

Today marks the 100th year of the Copa América Games! This year, for the first time, the United States will host the longest running fútbol tournament of the Americas. Starting today, 16 teams will compete in 32 matches across 10 U.S. cities. Today's fiery matchup takes place at Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara  — right around the corner from Google headquarters in Mountain View. We'll be listening for the roar of the crowd!

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #188 on: June 03, 2016, 08:47:58 AM »
^ and so do you.

I see no evidence of that.  :M
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #189 on: June 09, 2016, 06:29:24 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is Phoebe Snetsinger’s 85th birthday.

Sometimes it takes dire circumstances to compel us toward action. Phoebe Snetsinger, who would have been 85 years old today, became the world’s most prolific bird-watcher — a feat she achieved by surmounting tremendous odds.

It wasn’t until 1981 — when she was diagnosed with cancer — that Phoebe truly came into her own as a birder. In subsequent years, she scoured the globe for obscure or unknown bird species, ultimately raising her bird count to 8,393, the highest in the world at the time. Some of the notable birds she sighted include the Blackburnian Warbler and the Red-Shouldered Vanga, depicted among many other interesting birds by animator Juliana Chen.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #190 on: June 10, 2016, 03:01:42 AM »
I saw that one today. My friend told me that bird watching is called twitching. I have never heard that before.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 11:42:29 PM by renaeden »
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #191 on: June 10, 2016, 11:32:00 PM »
I've never heard of it either. It sounds made up, like twerking.  :zoinks:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #192 on: June 19, 2016, 12:19:42 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is Father's Day 2016.

Google has no comment for this doodle.  :dunno:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #193 on: June 20, 2016, 08:00:22 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is Summer Solstice & Strawberry Moon.

Today is the first day of summer! Doodler Nate Swinehart created a family of anthropomorphized rocks to commemorate the change of season. This year, the summer equinox has a companion: the strawberry moon. The pairing hasn’t happened since “The Summer of Love” in 1967, and won’t happen again until 2062. Happy summer!

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #194 on: August 25, 2016, 08:14:51 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is Celebrating US National Parks.

Today’s Doodle celebrates the parks and monuments of the U.S. national parks on the occasion of the National Park Service centennial. Designated in 1916, the National Park Service has set aside over 84 million acres of protected land for everyone to explore and enjoy.

Shelton Johnson, Park Ranger at Yosemite National Park and published author, shares his thoughts on this important milestone with us:

“There are national parks older than Yellowstone, or Yosemite, but it was in Yosemite Valley where the national park idea was first lit. It was Yellowstone that fanned that spark to a flame illuminating a world that was old, but seen anew!

No longer were rivers a force to be dammed, virgin forests a source for board-feet, or mountainsides blasted for gemstones or coal. A wild river was as alive as the fish within it. A forest became a network of plants bound to rock, soil, and sky.

Now there are national parks in over 150 nations. The idea of parks has the power to transcend culture, a currency whose value speaks of something profoundly human.

Jasper, Guilin, Serengeti, Sagarmatha, Fiordland, Torres del Paine, Kakadu, and Grand Canyon, are now just local names, out of tens of thousands, for planet Earth.”

Doodler, Sophie Diao gives us a behind-the-scenes look at the creation of today’s Doodle:

“When we first set about making this Doodle, we didn’t know where to begin. The topic seemed so vast that it felt disingenuous to only focus on a few places, but it would be way too hard to doodle all 59 national parks! The only thing we knew for sure was that iron-on patches are awesome and we wanted to include them somehow. Our idea evolved from there, and a research trip to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons inspired us even further.

After finalizing the video concept, I created storyboards using patches to transition between different scenes. We expanded the scope to include the monuments, seashores, and other sites that the National Park Service oversees. Our production process was fairly straight forward - I painted each scene and passed it to Lydia, who distilled the essence of my painting into a patch. Lydia painted the characters and animals, and I animated them. A couple of other members of the Doodle Team helped with the production. See if you can identify the place that each scene and patch represent!

The coolest thing about the national parks is that they exist for everyone. Whether you’re a hiker, climber, camper, or “glam”per – whether you travel by bicycle, foot, or chair – there’s a park for you. I hope this Doodle inspires everyone to enjoy the outdoors, which I think is one of the best things about America.

Also, to get a taste of the American wilderness no matter where you are, visit Google’s The Hidden Worlds of the National Parks. Follow park rangers on a journey to places most people never go and experience the sights, sounds, and adventures in stunning 360˚. "