Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • This chicken is Insured.
Re: yup
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2015, 09:25:15 PM »
Morgan "God" Freeman - Black History Month

I lyke dis  :thumbup:

But...I think it should be clarified (assuming Al already knows this), that the other half of there being no black history month, is that black history ought to be taught with regularity alongside colonial history. Same with native history, and anything relevant to historical events and the reality of this country.

Unfortunately today there is still a separation between black and colonial and native and immigrant histories...they are assumed to be entirely separate and the minority histories are seen as entirely the responsibility of minorities to care about. Sooo many things would be different if history lessons were more inclusive.

The only thing I conditionally disagree with is, race is important to those who value ancestral knowledge and family traditions. Go back far enough and we all have the same group of ancestors, but its valuable to realise that our respective families, tribes, nations, & cultures inherit a bit of experience that another family might not have inherited...as with any other traits. We're not homogenous, and we shouldn't be because diversity is key to adaptation and survival. If we can accept that there is no danger of racism.

You would say- thats a person, and that person has inherited a set of traits, and also a set of experiences & insights about the world through their family and racial culture. So they are uniquely valuable, and I am uniquely valuable.. but.... we are infinitely MORE valuable together. (the whole is greater than the sum of its parts) :)

Can't you guys even just imagine it?

Forget practicality, or your experience....can you just....imagine?

It's there. It always was.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2015, 10:14:49 AM »
How often will Germany have to apologise for what happened in WWII.
If the US is any indication, maybe forever.

There is that, of course. Suing mentality, and always wanting to find someone guilty. And it does spread. Bit more than a decade ago, it was possible to rent the gym here, all set up for kids to play there in a safe way (Big swings, and stuff like that). Costs were low. Great way to have a BD party on a rainy day. All of a sudden that changed, just like schools changed their policies. Because of a suing mentality entering the nation. Before that, if a kid would break a leg on a party like that, it was an accident, sad, but an accident. All of a sudden it became something the one renting out the facilities would have to pay for. So, you could still rent the space, still use the utilities, but, it would not be set up any more, so there would be no liability. They had the skills to do it safe, but they were not allowed any more. Because they could become guilty, and that would be too expensive for the council that owned the gym.

Apparently people find it harder and harder to deal with the fact that sometimes you can get ill without a reason of fault too. Because in times of hardship, there has to be someone at fault, and there has to be a victim.

What happened with the concept of tragedy?
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2015, 02:24:45 PM »

There is that, of course. Suing mentality, and always wanting to find someone guilty. And it does spread. Bit more than a decade ago, it was possible to rent the gym here, all set up for kids to play there in a safe way (Big swings, and stuff like that). Costs were low. Great way to have a BD party on a rainy day. All of a sudden that changed, just like schools changed their policies. Because of a suing mentality entering the nation. Before that, if a kid would break a leg on a party like that, it was an accident, sad, but an accident. All of a sudden it became something the one renting out the facilities would have to pay for. So, you could still rent the space, still use the utilities, but, it would not be set up any more, so there would be no liability. They had the skills to do it safe, but they were not allowed any more. Because they could become guilty, and that would be too expensive for the council that owned the gym.

Apparently people find it harder and harder to deal with the fact that sometimes you can get ill without a reason of fault too. Because in times of hardship, there has to be someone at fault, and there has to be a victim.

My condolences I thought that, at least in the lawsuit department, Europe was better than here but I guess they are following us down lawsuit lane.  The concept of tragedy has been lost on a great number of people all they want is someone to blame and hold accountable and they seem to be perplexed when there is no one.  People in this category also use what ever it was as a crutch for the rest of their lives.   

"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2015, 10:32:28 PM »

My condolences I thought that, at least in the lawsuit department, Europe was better than here but I guess they are following us down lawsuit lane.  The concept of tragedy has been lost on a great number of people all they want is someone to blame and hold accountable and they seem to be perplexed when there is no one.  People in this category also use what ever it was as a crutch for the rest of their lives.   

In the lawsuit department in my country, if a big scale tragedy happens, first law firms around are US firms, trying to find clients to make massive money claims. It used to be that you first waited to see what was the cause, and what help there could be for the people at loss. Then, if there was liability, yes, there would be repair money. But not starting with accusing and blaming before any data are there.

In the little things, like gyms and schools and accidents, there have been examples in the west of the country, and now policy of most community services is changing to prevent it happening. It sucks.

Offline MLA

• Elitest Aspie of the Aspie Elite
  • Modulator
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • The internet isn't a library, it's a stage.
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2015, 04:21:43 PM »
Fuckin lawyers ;)

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2015, 01:05:10 AM »
 :laugh:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2015, 04:56:12 AM »
Fuckin lawyers ;)

I don't hate lawyers. I hate the systems which allows them to...oh wait...yeah, I hate lawyers.  :zoinks:
:gopher:

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2015, 05:29:55 AM »
Morgan "God" Freeman - Black History Month

I lyke dis  :thumbup:

But...I think it should be clarified (assuming Al already knows this), that the other half of there being no black history month, is that black history ought to be taught with regularity alongside colonial history. Same with native history, and anything relevant to historical events and the reality of this country.

Unfortunately today there is still a separation between black and colonial and native and immigrant histories...they are assumed to be entirely separate and the minority histories are seen as entirely the responsibility of minorities to care about. Sooo many things would be different if history lessons were more inclusive.

The only thing I conditionally disagree with is, race is important to those who value ancestral knowledge and family traditions. Go back far enough and we all have the same group of ancestors, but its valuable to realise that our respective families, tribes, nations, & cultures inherit a bit of experience that another family might not have inherited...as with any other traits. We're not homogenous, and we shouldn't be because diversity is key to adaptation and survival. If we can accept that there is no danger of racism.

You would say- thats a person, and that person has inherited a set of traits, and also a set of experiences & insights about the world through their family and racial culture. So they are uniquely valuable, and I am uniquely valuable.. but.... we are infinitely MORE valuable together. (the whole is greater than the sum of its parts) :)

The problem of course is one of practicalities.
Sounds harsh I know. But consider, in Australia we have a black native population, and we have a push for "reconciliation" (and to work "towards" that). But what is reconciliation and who makes that call? Aboriginal people you say? Not a bad answer, but which Aboriginal people? Leaders? Problem is, which ones? This is a list of tribes http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Indigenous_Australian_group_names There are a number of Elders in each one. Many Elders are not very traditional and many destroyed by grog.
What possible reconciliation would be enough for what has been done to their culture?
It is basically a bullshit sentiment.
If it were up to me, I would grant Tanya Major, Noel Pearson and Mike Dodson a lot more power, they have good heads on their shoulders and an absolute proven commitment to Aboriginals. That would be practical. But would that be enough?

What sounds nice in theory is rarely nice in practice

I think that a big thing too is that every population has been responsible for some oppression at some point. People are evolved from the survivors of the tribes that won. The smarter, tougher and more ruthless. Travel back down your family tree far enough and you will be the ancestor of an oppressor.
Empires rise and fall. New people subjugated new people dominating. We can not cater to you or give you compensation if your ancient relative was enslaved by the Romans nor if they were enslaved by the Moors. How did those people manage? How did THEY become US?

I think it is following Morgan's advice.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap