Educational

Author Topic: got the word....  (Read 463 times)

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • This chicken is Insured.
got the word....
« on: April 07, 2015, 03:36:45 AM »
Yo, remember I got all mad about descriptively "white and rich" folk who would reserve the neighborhood for events create a mess then leave?

I now know there is a word for it lol- GENTRIFICATION. Its happening a lot more now because more wealthier people are being attracted to the area, not just for temporary events, but more are moving in...new housing, high rents...completely changing demographics. Mass gentrification happening downtown and all around my city right now. It's hardly recognizable at times...it hit a particular nerve that day because of the belligerent behaviour. 

welcome to the country of perpetual colonisation.....

« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 03:48:02 AM by sg1008 »
Can't you guys even just imagine it?

Forget practicality, or your experience....can you just....imagine?

It's there. It always was.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
Re: got the word....
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 04:29:40 PM »
Urban gentrification has been studied for some time and it's been concluded the idea of displacing the poor is myth. In fact economic and demographic studies of thousands of neighborhoods show, that while it's true about 20% of gentrified urban areas are affluent and middle class whites, it's also true that poor blacks are not leaving the area in rates any greater than any other area. In fact, blacks who complete highschool are more likely to stay in gentrified areas because they are able to find employment and standards of living they find acceptable, in contrast to non-gentrified areas where they tend to leave. It's true upper and middle class whites are moving to urban areas, but the largest demographics moving to gentrified urban communities are middle class Blacks and Hispanics. Gentrification symbolizes the one thing racists of any color cannot tolerate, diversity. There was a time in this country when people living in urban areas cried white flight, and blamed the upper and middle class for the downfall of their communities because they were moving to the suburbs, taking with them their local consumer and tax dollars, with urban areas left without sufficient clientele for local shops or funding for local district schools. Now two generations later, those same communities are crying gentrification because the demographic they blame for their circumstances is moving back. Welcome to the country of perpetual victimhood.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2015/01/the_gentrification_myth_it_s_rare_and_not_as_bad_for_the_poor_as_people.2.html
http://www.governing.com/gov-data/census/gentrification-in-cities-governing-report.html
http://content.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1818255,00.html

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 05:40:34 PM »
WolFish and I are living now in an area that's being gentrified. I'd been thinking of it as a good thing because our landlord had to lower the rent he was asking for. He couldn't find any takers due to the noise and the neighbors, meaning we got a nice place for a reasonable amount.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 06:27:22 PM »
WolFish and I are living now in an area that's being gentrified. I'd been thinking of it as a good thing because our landlord had to lower the rent he was asking for. He couldn't find any takers due to the noise and the neighbors, meaning we got a nice place for a reasonable amount.

Yeah...it seemed like a good thing here too...the parks got done up and the neighborhood kids had safer places to play....but now people are disappearing, rents are going up, and the demographic is changing....for instance there are way less black people in a neighborhood that was all black. My brother said its becoming really bad in Boston too...many low income people being displaced.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 06:38:42 PM »
Daughter also lives in a gentrified area. When looking for her new place, the low price was the only thing that made her wary. When questioning why such a nice place for such a low price, the reason was because it was a one bedroom, with one bedrooms being difficult to fill in an area where mostly families are migrating toward. The gentrified area in my city was largely rebuilt by the LGBT community. It's smack in the ugliest part of the industrial district, with a strip of old previously unused historical buildings now being the hot spot for night clubbing. The surrounding area has seen a dramatic improvement, with lots of new business and living spaces, more empty spaces being overhauled. Was at the Improv not so long ago, and the opening act made a joke about the area. He has his head turned to the left and said, wow this district of the city is really nice, then turned his head to the right and said OMG I'm in the hood. :laugh:

for instance there are way less black people in a neighborhood that was all black.
There's black people in my suburb too. There's probably some of the older folks who remember when it was all white. Try not to wonder too much if they mention that when they see me.

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 07:10:54 PM »
... the demographic is changing....for instance there are way less black people in a neighborhood that was all black.

That reminds me of the Chris Rock joke:  Some white family moved into a house down the street from me and everyone on the block is black. I thought to myself...     ...well, here comes the neighborhood!!    :LOL:

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 07:14:03 PM »
The rich should visit here, we have a WalMart now, they had fake grass rugs on sale for 19.99 for Easter so that everyone could cover up the ugly before the relatives visited. :o

...they can get a burger at McDonald's...unless they are only running on half power like last week again, then you can only get fried food. Yum  :P

If anything is happening here it's definitely the opposite of gentrification.

What is the word for the opposite of gentrification anyway?
Deterioratrification?
Decaytrification?
Devalueification?
Defficatrification?

Wait...
Slumification? :thumbup:

Slum....is just boring, I need something better.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 08:39:12 PM »
Grungification?
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 11:38:03 PM »
Grungification?

Lol good one  :2thumbsup:

A few decades ago, the aforementioned neighborhood, which during my lifetime has been all black and all poor, was actually very wealthy and all white. When the white people left (in I guess the 50s? or 60s?) it was called "white flight"....

we had race riots 'n stuff too...

Now that demographic is moving back, but instead of integrating, the poor folk are getting evicted...lol...same segregation game. I guess it will keep happening until one day someone says, "hey, can't we have a mixed income neighborhood?", and someone else says, "gee, thats an awesome idea". we can have a walmart next door to an artisan hipster bakery.  :green: :P

« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 11:40:14 PM by sg1008 »

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2015, 04:50:04 AM »

Yeah...it seemed like a good thing here too...the parks got done up and the neighborhood kids had safer places to play....but now people are disappearing, rents are going up, and the demographic is changing....for instance there are way less black people in a neighborhood that was all black. My brother said its becoming really bad in Boston too...many low income people being displaced.
Boston and the surrounding area is insanely expensive to live in- rent, own, whatever.  Rent is pretty expensive in general in this state, at least in the areas that aren't notorious for being extremely unsafe (and even some of them, if they have decent public transportation/access to Boston *coughBrocktoncough*).
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2015, 08:14:32 AM »
Now that demographic is moving back, but instead of integrating, the poor folk are getting evicted...lol...same segregation game. I guess it will keep happening until one day someone says, "hey, can't we have a mixed income neighborhood?"

That will never happen. Rich and middle class people don't tollerate poor households next to them very well since most poor homes are considered a "blight" on the neighborhood. They tend to form HOA's to boot them out.

You might get some neighborhoods where upper and middle classes will mingle somewhat but those are rare too.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2015, 07:27:46 PM »
That will never happen. Rich and middle class people don't tollerate poor households next to them very well since most poor homes are considered a "blight" on the neighborhood. They tend to form HOA's to boot them out.
That's exactly what's happening in gentrified area, have seen it in my city and it's evidenced in the video with refurbished buildings right next to ones that aren't, and refurbished streets on one block next with un-refurbished when turning the corner, and people of every color walking all of those streets. A great deal of refurbishment occurring in urban areas is in buildings which were boarded up an unused. The video doesn't necessarily tell that part of the story though.

we can have a walmart next door to an artisan hipster bakery.
That doesn't even make sense. What that describes is typical middle class suburbia with a mixture of upper middle, middle middle, and lower middle, and every race fitting into those sections. The walmarts and dollar trees are in fact near trendy eateries and fancy salons, and can shop at the cheapest grocery store in the city a quarter mile from the most expensive. Pawn shops and flea markets next to large shopping malls, mansions and cheap apartment, whatever, it's a huge mix these days, a huge wonderful mixture of stuff and people. Know what it's like to live in places without diversity; those places suck, and frankly love it here. Though maybe you're right and whites should stay out of the ghetto and just let it rot.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 07:29:24 PM by Jack »

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2015, 07:49:14 AM »
Now that demographic is moving back, but instead of integrating, the poor folk are getting evicted...lol...same segregation game. I guess it will keep happening until one day someone says, "hey, can't we have a mixed income neighborhood?"

You might get some neighborhoods where upper and middle classes will mingle somewhat but those are rare too.

They are probably worried poor people will start to benefit from views they can't afford.
Stupid freeloading, lazy, dirty maggots stealing our views!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 08:08:14 AM by sg1008 »

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2015, 09:44:08 PM »
The politically correct term is earing disabled.  :zoinks:
:gopher: