Educational

Author Topic: Questions for Icequeen  (Read 16115 times)

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
Re: Questions for Icequeen
« Reply #390 on: December 12, 2016, 06:41:02 AM »
When we got Molly from Mum's, all she wanted to do was hide under the bed. Liam is dominant and still has tom behaviours so they didn't really get along at first. After about 6 months, Molly still didn't roam freely about the house and was still seemingly anxious a lot of the time so we tried Feliway. Put the drops in Molly's bed and had the plug-in device just outside my bedroom (which is where Molly sleeps). It didn't work unfortunately. That said, Liam responds to catnip while Molly has no reaction. So there might be something about Molly that doesn't react to pheromones or the active ingredient in catnip.

I have heard that some cats are unaffected by catnip.  Maybe they're straight edge.  :cat:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #391 on: December 12, 2016, 07:11:55 AM »
Some really love catnip and others could care less about it, I've seen that. 

With my two, the female will take anything you've got...dried, fresh, stuffed in a toy...she's like a little crack addict, rolling around higher than hell on the kitchen floor.

The male only wants the fresh stuff. No dried stuff for him, no rolling around in it....he's above all that.

I tried Feliway here too when we first moved in...we had some disputes between the two, maybe the change in the environment.  :dunno: thought it might help. Didn't do anything here either. 

I'm thinking I should try light therapy.   :zombiefuck:

Me too.

Wintertime days here in Oregon are noticeably shorter than in Cali.

That and I'm working swing shifts where I go to sleep around 4am and get up around noon.

My dad used to work that sometimes...said it was depressing as hell in the winter...you no sooner got up and the sun was going down.  :P

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #392 on: December 14, 2016, 06:50:06 AM »
Did some further searching myself, and found the product Feliway Friends was on offer. Different pheromones than the regular Feliway.

Plugged it in yesterday. Luna has more courage now, she gets somewhat back to her "normal" behaviour. She does not avoid half of the living room any more. Lorre does not change that much, although he stopped hissing at Luna. So, seems to be effective, a bit.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #393 on: December 14, 2016, 07:20:32 PM »
Did some further searching myself, and found the product Feliway Friends was on offer. Different pheromones than the regular Feliway.

Plugged it in yesterday. Luna has more courage now, she gets somewhat back to her "normal" behaviour. She does not avoid half of the living room any more. Lorre does not change that much, although he stopped hissing at Luna. So, seems to be effective, a bit.

Time will help too. They may never be really friendly towards one another, but eventually they learn to tolerate each other.

My female was here first...she has always made that known loud and clear to the male. She can be 9 lbs of pure hell-raising bitch, the male is around at least 15 lbs and could do some damage I'm sure if they really ever started fighting, but he's like a big teddy bear.

My heart aches for him, some days she'll just walk over to him and give him a wack upside his head for no reason at all and he just looks at me with these big eyes like he's saying "what did I do??"

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #394 on: December 15, 2016, 07:06:45 AM »
Any decent articles on what it is, biologically, that happens or causes manic and/or mixed episodes?  Not just the brain systems involved, but why they go haywire specifically for people with bipolar disorders.  Also, any nuances to that whole question.

I'm poking around as well, but figured there's a good chance if I ask here I'll get more.  Mostly what I've found so far is lots oa articles doing lots of hand-wringing about "correct" diagnostic criteria.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #395 on: December 15, 2016, 07:16:50 PM »
Any decent articles on what it is, biologically, that happens or causes manic and/or mixed episodes?  Not just the brain systems involved, but why they go haywire specifically for people with bipolar disorders.  Also, any nuances to that whole question.

I'm poking around as well, but figured there's a good chance if I ask here I'll get more.  Mostly what I've found so far is lots oa articles doing lots of hand-wringing about "correct" diagnostic criteria.

Is this too old? http://www.nature.com/npp/journal/v33/n1/full/1301575a.html

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #396 on: December 16, 2016, 06:55:23 AM »

That's awesome, actually.  =)

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #397 on: December 16, 2016, 01:55:29 PM »

Good. A Google Scholar search will yield better result than anything found in regular web searches. Though did first read about plasticity cascades and Dr Manji in an unhelpful health news article first, and then took that info to a scholar search to find something better. The only downfall of searching for research papers, is having to dig around a bit to find papers which the full text is free to the public. Sometimes they're hard to find.

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #398 on: December 16, 2016, 08:36:34 PM »

Good. A Google Scholar search will yield better result than anything found in regular web searches. Though did first read about plasticity cascades and Dr Manji in an unhelpful health news article first, and then took that info to a scholar search to find something better. The only downfall of searching for research papers, is having to dig around a bit to find papers which the full text is free to the public. Sometimes they're hard to find.
I was using google scholar, and hitting that exact same problem.  Figured I'd try to get you guys to do the work for me.   :laugh:

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #399 on: December 16, 2016, 09:30:38 PM »
:laugh: There's also this great site: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed. After entering a search, options appear to the left of the page which enable users to limit the results to only free full text publications, time frames, article types, and so on. Also, changing the dropdown next to the search field from 'pub med' to 'all databases' will yield a result page which not only contains a link for full text literature results, but also a huge variety of other resources. Don't know what extra perks might come along with registering a member account with the NCBI website.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #400 on: December 17, 2016, 06:49:29 AM »
Used that a while ago. Works nice indeed.

Jack, you are having a nice postcount.  :congrats:

* am resisting the urge to plus *
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #401 on: January 31, 2017, 02:36:11 PM »
how would mold get on the inside of a tangerine? the skin was unbroken as far as i could tell. the mold was green and there were little white dots on all the rest of the pieces (jack will be happy to know i didn't try them) so it seemed to be growing.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #402 on: January 31, 2017, 05:25:44 PM »
(jack will be happy to know i didn't try them)
Jack is indeed happy to know. :M

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #403 on: January 31, 2017, 05:45:57 PM »
how would mold get on the inside of a tangerine? the skin was unbroken as far as i could tell. the mold was green and there were little white dots on all the rest of the pieces (jack will be happy to know i didn't try them) so it seemed to be growing.

Wow, never came across one that was moldy on the inside.

From what I could pull up it is common though. Many say it is probably from a small cut or hole in the skin that allows the mold spores to enter.

Another explanation given is that seeds of fruit can be infected with fungi during pollination.

Looking on diseases affecting citrus trees though lists Alternaria fungus...it starts off as rot in the center and will turn the citrus black and moldy from the center out. Most common following rainy winters or springs...the tree received too much water.   

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #404 on: February 01, 2017, 04:41:50 PM »

Wow, never came across one that was moldy on the inside.

From what I could pull up it is common though. Many say it is probably from a small cut or hole in the skin that allows the mold spores to enter.

Another explanation given is that seeds of fruit can be infected with fungi during pollination.

Looking on diseases affecting citrus trees though lists Alternaria fungus...it starts off as rot in the center and will turn the citrus black and moldy from the center out. Most common following rainy winters or springs...the tree received too much water.   
i should have taken pics. oddly enough i was so weirded out that i wrapped it in my lunch bag and threw it away as soon as i could.

so on the subject of things i don't want to eat, my mother has sent me carrot juice powder and beet juice powder. can't figure out what to do with them.
any ideas?
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher