Author Topic: Questions for Icequeen  (Read 16112 times)

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
Re: Questions for Icequeen
« Reply #375 on: October 24, 2016, 10:48:26 PM »

would you feel better if you knew that i disinfected the thermos?

Only if you used fire.  :zoinks:
:gopher:

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #376 on: October 25, 2016, 10:38:54 AM »
Yeah, I'd be wary of anything growing on a tea bag for that long.  :LOL:

I should have taken pictures of my scoby floating around in its bowl yesterday waiting while I brewed another batch of tea for it.

The gopher would have loved it. ;)

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #377 on: November 01, 2016, 05:22:25 AM »
Does anything metabolically different *really* happen when eating later at night (or closer to bedtime- and does THAT make a difference?), or is there just a myth about that making you weigh more because if you weigh yourself in the morning, more of the food is just plain going to be still inside of you, thereby increasing the weight for that morning?
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #378 on: November 01, 2016, 09:08:59 AM »
Does anything metabolically different *really* happen when eating later at night (or closer to bedtime- and does THAT make a difference?), or is there just a myth about that making you weigh more because if you weigh yourself in the morning, more of the food is just plain going to be still inside of you, thereby increasing the weight for that morning?

It seems to depend a lot on your lifestyle. If you are active and exercise the total amount of calories you burn off will be about the same, and a small protein based snack can actually be beneficial.

You do burn calories at a slower rate while sleeping, and it can cause a decreased glucose tolerance if you are not active through the day. Many of us will crave and eat the wrong stuff at night or eat for the wrong reasons too...like the package of cookies or bag of chips that melts all the stress of the day away bite by bite. *guilty* Then if you have acid reflux...you're miserable period.

Metabolically, if your active, if you make healthy choices, and keep it light, there doesn't seem to be a difference, and sometimes something like a small protein shake is actually good. 

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/diet-truth-myth-eating-night-causes-weight-gain#1

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/why-eating-late-at-night-may-be-particularly-bad-for-you-and-your-diet/2015/08/24/ad8b85ac-2583-11e5-b77f-eb13a215f593_story.html

https://medical.mit.edu/sites/default/files/late-night-eating.pdf

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #379 on: November 01, 2016, 02:31:59 PM »
Similar question.

Does you body do repair work while sleeping?  I always wanted to take meds/vitamins before going to bed because I thought they would work better.  Yes, I understand the body works less, but I thought it would not be fighting with daily activity and might work better.

Scrambled thoughts, tough day.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #380 on: November 02, 2016, 02:34:59 AM »
Yes, it does repairs while you sleep. sigh, i should take heed and go to bed.

https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/sdd/why
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #381 on: November 02, 2016, 05:50:12 AM »
Similar question.

Does you body do repair work while sleeping?  I always wanted to take meds/vitamins before going to bed because I thought they would work better.  Yes, I understand the body works less, but I thought it would not be fighting with daily activity and might work better.

Scrambled thoughts, tough day.

Yep, sleep is when the body does its repair work.

http://www.howsleepworks.com/why_restoration.html

I need to read more on that site now, my sleep sucks. :laugh:

Some meds/vitamins can promote better sleep like magnesium...but some can interrupt your sleep and keep you up at night. I like to google the side effects...but that's not always a given either, you have to see how something makes you feel...one person can take a B12 supplement and bounce off of the walls, another might get sleepy.

You also don't want anything that could literally put you out cold if you have breathing problems like asthma or copd.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #382 on: November 02, 2016, 09:50:19 AM »
Thank you both.  It made sense to me that you'd want to do repair work while a machine is in down time or resting mode.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #383 on: November 03, 2016, 06:01:42 AM »
What are the recommendations (and research) for when to start/stop using light therapy for seasonal affect?
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #384 on: November 04, 2016, 09:22:39 AM »
What are the recommendations (and research) for when to start/stop using light therapy for seasonal affect?

Am being so obnoxious to answer here. Have read a lot on it lately. And have got some experience too by now.

Begin the moment you notice the darkening of the days starts affecting you.
Then start with two weeks of light therapy. Make sure to do that before 9 am, to not mess up your day and night rhythm. After two weeks you stop for a while and notice what happens.
For some just a few days without light therapy leads already to a major setback. Others benefit for months from those two weeks of treatment. It is a matter of trying, to find out what your dosage should be. There are people who have to use it daily through the autumn and winter.
On average people use it two weeks, then stop till they notice they need it again. So the time to stop comes naturally for them.

If you use anti-depressants, make sure someone else also keeps an eye on you. A manic episode can be triggered by the light in rare occasions. And sometimes the dosage of anti-depressants has to be lowered because of the light therapy.
The triggering into a manic episode hardly ever happens with people who do not use anti-depressants. (Unless they are already prone to manic episodes)

For the rest, what I myself experience from light therapy is pleasant. What I see happening in kid with light is as close to a miracle as can be.

Do make sure to buy a good lamp, if you want to try. The light has to be equivalent to 10,000 lux. Those lamps come in quite bulky but also in really small. Here we have the litebook edge. It is hardly bigger than a cheap cellphone.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #385 on: November 04, 2016, 10:03:00 AM »
I'm thinking I should try light therapy.   :zombiefuck:

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #386 on: December 11, 2016, 02:47:59 PM »
Have you ever used Feliway, or heard about how well it works?

Or do you have other tips on how to get two cats on "speaking terms", when one of them is a new youngster in the house? Had a young male homeless skinny cat on my doorstep last Tuesday. Calling him Lorre. Am trying to make it work with him and Luna.

Now Luna has upstairs all for herself. Lorre has the kitchen. The livingroom is where they meet. Also where they are without the other cat around a few times a day. Lorre is pretty dominant, especially when he thinks food is involved.

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #387 on: December 11, 2016, 02:48:49 PM »

Whenever she can, Luna will place herself in such a way that she also gets some of the light on her face.
 :lol1:

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #388 on: December 11, 2016, 10:27:35 PM »
When we got Molly from Mum's, all she wanted to do was hide under the bed. Liam is dominant and still has tom behaviours so they didn't really get along at first. After about 6 months, Molly still didn't roam freely about the house and was still seemingly anxious a lot of the time so we tried Feliway. Put the drops in Molly's bed and had the plug-in device just outside my bedroom (which is where Molly sleeps). It didn't work unfortunately. That said, Liam responds to catnip while Molly has no reaction. So there might be something about Molly that doesn't react to pheromones or the active ingredient in catnip.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #389 on: December 11, 2016, 10:31:11 PM »

Me too.

Wintertime days here in Oregon are noticeably shorter than in Cali.

That and I'm working swing shifts where I go to sleep around 4am and get up around noon.