Author Topic: Questions for Icequeen  (Read 16123 times)

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
Re: Questions for Icequeen
« Reply #315 on: June 18, 2016, 11:11:47 AM »
No anti-virus program I've found works 100% against adware and some of the other crap out there.

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #316 on: June 18, 2016, 06:05:33 PM »
finally tasted my fermented pickles. very bitter so i threw them out, but still can't figure out why they got bubbles. the little bit i tasted was fizzy.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #317 on: June 18, 2016, 09:32:34 PM »
finally tasted my fermented pickles. very bitter so i threw them out, but still can't figure out why they got bubbles. the little bit i tasted was fizzy.

Fizzy is part of the process, especially if you were making dill pickles...like sauerkraut.

http://www.thankyourbody.com/recipe-naturally-fermented-garlic-dill-pickles/

http://www.realpickles.com/process.html

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #318 on: June 19, 2016, 09:31:15 AM »

Fizzy is part of the process, especially if you were making dill pickles...like sauerkraut.

they were bought sweet pickles. i added red pepper flakes. usually after a few days the pickles are hot, but this was the first time they ever got fizzy. i tossed them because they were really bitter and not sweet at all.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #319 on: June 19, 2016, 09:59:10 AM »
Fizzy can mean it's spoiled also.

Yep, I would have pitched them also. So many recalls and contaminated food now. I tend to err on the side of caution with anything store bought.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #320 on: June 19, 2016, 12:07:30 PM »

they were bought sweet pickles. i added red pepper flakes. usually after a few days the pickles are hot, but this was the first time they ever got fizzy. i tossed them because they were really bitter and not sweet at all.

Bitter in the cucumber family is a 'do not eat' signal that should not be ignored.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #321 on: June 22, 2016, 07:30:15 PM »
  Icequeen, my avatar came from your Photobucket account, and now it's invisible.

I love my avatar.

Has there been a change to the account?  Can I get my avatar back?  :(
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #322 on: June 22, 2016, 07:34:02 PM »
  Icequeen, my avatar came from your Photobucket account, and now it's invisible.

I love my avatar.

Has there been a change to the account?  Can I get my avatar back?  :(

Never mind, it has reappeared!  :2thumbsup:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #323 on: July 05, 2016, 11:58:49 PM »
Two totally unrelated questions.
1 now that it's bug season and we don't have enough screens yet (since woofy has to build them) i get noseeums around me at night even though i have a tiny LED bulb. would it work to put a red mask over it? i quite foolishly abandoned our bug zapper in florida and it's three times as expensive here.

2 according to the paelo diet, which i follow really loosely, both popcorn and potatoes are bad for you. it's the middle of a night following a hot day in which i have already lost a lot of electrolytes, and damnit, tablets and drinks are not as much fun. which would be worse to eat - popcorn or french fries? fat is not an issue since i put 1/4 to 1/2 a stick of butter on the popcorn. at this point i have lost a couple kilos by becoming more active so that's not an issue either.

i know i won't get an answer in time but i am sure this will be an issue tomorrow as it is supposed to be hot again.

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #324 on: July 06, 2016, 01:50:57 PM »
Wolfish -

Wild, uneducated guess.  The French fries would be more similar to the original plant food.  Corn was originally smaller than a thumb and has been possibly more cross-bred than potatoes.  I know you can't have either, but potatoes would be closer to what you couldn't have.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #325 on: July 06, 2016, 03:35:19 PM »
Wolfish -

Wild, uneducated guess.  The French fries would be more similar to the original plant food.  Corn was originally smaller than a thumb and has been possibly more cross-bred than potatoes.  I know you can't have either, but potatoes would be closer to what you couldn't have.
i opted for succotash. might do the fries tonight if it gets cool again. still feeling the need for salt.
you're right of course about the potatoes. i am sure there has been some modification, but organic potatoes are easier to find than organic popcorn. i realized last night that it was about texture too. what i use needs to be crunchy outside, soft inside, and salty.

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #326 on: July 06, 2016, 04:09:47 PM »
Two totally unrelated questions.
1 now that it's bug season and we don't have enough screens yet (since woofy has to build them) i get noseeums around me at night even though i have a tiny LED bulb. would it work to put a red mask over it? i quite foolishly abandoned our bug zapper in florida and it's three times as expensive here.

2 according to the paelo diet, which i follow really loosely, both popcorn and potatoes are bad for you. it's the middle of a night following a hot day in which i have already lost a lot of electrolytes, and damnit, tablets and drinks are not as much fun. which would be worse to eat - popcorn or french fries? fat is not an issue since i put 1/4 to 1/2 a stick of butter on the popcorn. at this point i have lost a couple kilos by becoming more active so that's not an issue either.

i know i won't get an answer in time but i am sure this will be an issue tomorrow as it is supposed to be hot again.

Red is supposed to be the least attractive color, blue is the best to attract and is used in most of the traps for flies and gnats.

Popcorn is usually the healthier choice and probably easier to digest in the middle of the night. Potatoes are higher in protein and starch.

Fries are my personal weakness though, so I know what would win out in my case.

Spiral fries w/cheese sauce.  :autism:

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #327 on: July 06, 2016, 08:17:15 PM »
Wolfish -

i opted for succotash. might do the fries tonight if it gets cool again. still feeling the need for salt.
you're right of course about the potatoes. i am sure there has been some modification, but organic potatoes are easier to find than organic popcorn. i realized last night that it was about texture too. what i use needs to be crunchy outside, soft inside, and salty.

Succotash is pretty good, except that it has lima beans in it.  I don't eat lima or butter beans.  PERIOD. 

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #328 on: July 06, 2016, 11:20:20 PM »
Wolfish -

Succotash is pretty good, except that it has lima beans in it.  I don't eat lima or butter beans.  PERIOD.
what do you use instead? the lima beans here are pretty awful. so far i have only been able to find them canned.

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #329 on: July 07, 2016, 08:16:39 AM »
Wolfish -

what do you use instead? the lima beans here are pretty awful. so far i have only been able to find them canned.

I just leave them out and call it corn stew.