Author Topic: Questions for Icequeen  (Read 16125 times)

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Re: Questions for Icequeen
« Reply #285 on: April 26, 2016, 11:36:46 AM »
Is there a way to repair a hole in a silicone bowl? it's a 3mm hole that was chopped into it by a knife. the smaller part of the hole is on the outside of the bowl. I don't have the pieces.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #286 on: April 26, 2016, 06:02:18 PM »
Is there a way to repair a hole in a silicone bowl? it's a 3mm hole that was chopped into it by a knife. the smaller part of the hole is on the outside of the bowl. I don't have the pieces.
Duct tape.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #287 on: April 26, 2016, 06:20:20 PM »
If you had the pieces you might be able to fix it with a food grade silicone adhesive.

That works best for cracks though, I would have my doubts about how it would hold up patching a hole.

When all else fails though...like Elle said...duct tape.  :LOL:

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #288 on: April 26, 2016, 06:43:27 PM »
At that point, probably want to weigh cost of repair materials vs. just buying a new bowl.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #289 on: April 27, 2016, 02:53:51 PM »
At that point, probably want to weigh cost of repair materials vs. just buying a new bowl.

the bowl was one of those fancy fold up things; it came from EMS. of course i got it at a huge discount, i think i paid $4. it costs $16 now on amazon. the food grade silicone would be a good investment. i probably will buy another bowl when i can afford it.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #290 on: April 28, 2016, 01:39:01 AM »
Spilled tea (no sugar but the tea was made with fruit pieces) on my notebook a couple of weeks ago. For the past two weeks it's been basking in the son. The keys were sticky at first but now aside from making sticking noises they work fine.

The question is, should I take it apart and clean the keyboard? When the tea spilled (about 2 - 3 teaspoons), I flipped it to let the fluid drip out of the keyboard. Part of the time it was drying it was in this position and the rest with the keyboard in the sun.

We live in the house of dust but are going to a hotel which ostensibly should be cleaner. Wondering if I should take it apart and clean it while we are there.

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #291 on: April 28, 2016, 02:02:26 AM »
I, too, live in a house of dust. It mostly collects on the floor in the toilet and bathroom. :dunno:
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #292 on: April 28, 2016, 06:29:55 AM »
Spilled tea (no sugar but the tea was made with fruit pieces) on my notebook a couple of weeks ago. For the past two weeks it's been basking in the son. The keys were sticky at first but now aside from making sticking noises they work fine.

Reading this, I pictured a notebook made of paper.  Then you mentioned keys and I was baffled.  I'm old.  :laugh:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #293 on: April 29, 2016, 03:29:51 PM »
I, too, live in a house of dust. It mostly collects on the floor in the toilet and bathroom. :dunno:

Dust collects on our stairs daily. If I vacuum, by the next day it looks like I did nothing.

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #294 on: April 29, 2016, 05:49:24 PM »

Dust collects on our stairs daily. If I vacuum, by the next day it looks like I did nothing.

Is it because the houses are so old, or because there is no other place to go for the dust?
My house is not extremely dusty by itself, but since I got hard flooring, I see way more dust, because it doesn't settle in the carpet any more. The tiniest bit of airflow moves the dust towards the dustbunny gathering places, where airflow does not, or barely affect the dust. So, my house looks way more dusty than before. It needs culling bunnies everyday now.
Not the entire house, only the places where the airflow is the lowest, where the dust can settle.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #295 on: April 29, 2016, 06:42:28 PM »
The amount of dust depends on the heating and cooling system I've noticed. Had oil heat in the last house, left more crap in the ductwork, and we had a lot more dust...filthier dust. Here I get dust, but not as much, and it's like a white powder instead of a gray film.

Keyboard is almost a sealed unit anymore, hard to remove the keys if you need to clean under them. The good thing about them is that they're easy to replace as a unit, and if you dump an obscene amount of water on them, it sometimes won't reach the motherboard or anything underneath (I personally tested out that one not long after getting my hp  :P).

You might want to remove the battery if it's external and go around them with a moist q-tip if they are sticking. 

Unlike the days when you spilled a whole glass of red wine down the keyboard on your desktop and just popped the keys off the next day and sprayed the whole mess with windex and just dried it off, they can be more problematic in that respect.

Not that I've ever done anything like that.  ::)  (Twice actually, that I remember :P)

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #296 on: April 30, 2016, 12:41:50 AM »
The amount of dust depends on the heating and cooling system I've noticed. Had oil heat in the last house, left more crap in the ductwork, and we had a lot more dust...filthier dust. Here I get dust, but not as much, and it's like a white powder instead of a gray film.

Keyboard is almost a sealed unit anymore, hard to remove the keys if you need to clean under them. The good thing about them is that they're easy to replace as a unit, and if you dump an obscene amount of water on them, it sometimes won't reach the motherboard or anything underneath (I personally tested out that one not long after getting my hp  :P).

You might want to remove the battery if it's external and go around them with a moist q-tip if they are sticking. 

Unlike the days when you spilled a whole glass of red wine down the keyboard on your desktop and just popped the keys off the next day and sprayed the whole mess with windex and just dried it off, they can be more problematic in that respect.

Not that I've ever done anything like that.  ::)  (Twice actually, that I remember :P)

I often clean around my keys with Q-tips dipped in glass cleaner, or with a paring knife dragging paper toweling
   through the cracks.  Never took out the battery, or even knew there was a battery.  Whoopsie.  N00b 4 lyfe.  :tard:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #297 on: April 30, 2016, 04:54:53 AM »

Is it because the houses are so old, or because there is no other place to go for the dust?
My house is not extremely dusty by itself, but since I got hard flooring, I see way more dust, because it doesn't settle in the carpet any more. The tiniest bit of airflow moves the dust towards the dustbunny gathering places, where airflow does not, or barely affect the dust. So, my house looks way more dusty than before. It needs culling bunnies everyday now.
Not the entire house, only the places where the airflow is the lowest, where the dust can settle.
We have no carpet except for a mat in the lounge room. The rest are vinyl tiles and regular tiles in the toilet, bathroom and laundry. The toilet and bathroom both have exhaust fans in the ceiling and turn on when the lights are turned on. The house isn't old, it was built in 2000 I think. We don't have any heating or cooling.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #298 on: April 30, 2016, 05:02:34 AM »

We have no carpet except for a mat in the lounge room. The rest are vinyl tiles and regular tiles in the toilet, bathroom and laundry. The toilet and bathroom both have exhaust fans in the ceiling and turn on when the lights are turned on. The house isn't old, it was built in 2000 I think. We don't have any heating or cooling.

Then you probably have a "normal" amount of dust in the house, but because of the lack of carpeted flooring, you will see it. If you would beat your mat from the lounge room outside, you'd be shocked to see how much dust gathers in there, despite vacuuming it often.

For some people with allergies carpets are great, because the dust gets caught and can't roam the room anymore. For others they are a disaster, because the dust is trapped out of reach for a vacuum cleaner.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #299 on: April 30, 2016, 11:33:45 PM »
Yeah we just vacuum the mat. It is too big to take outside and beat.

Another place dust gathers is under my bed. Blech.
Tek'ma'tae