Author Topic: Questions for Icequeen  (Read 16115 times)

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Re: Questions for Icequeen
« Reply #195 on: December 01, 2015, 04:31:22 AM »
so if I have a charger plugged in and nothing charging, is it still using electricity? If it is, how much does it increase if I plug in a phone to charge?
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #196 on: December 01, 2015, 06:49:20 AM »
Anyone know any good stretches for neck/back and/or exercises to improve posture?  My posture's terrible anyway and the sedentary job makes it worse.  Also I fucked something in my back up yesterday and it's still a bit fucked up today.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #197 on: December 01, 2015, 06:51:20 AM »
On a different note, something I've been meaning to query for a bit- know of any decent compendium of descriptions or videos of what people look like on various kinds of substances/differential "tells" for substances?  There's no way this doesn't exist.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #198 on: December 01, 2015, 10:23:30 AM »
so if I have a charger plugged in and nothing charging, is it still using electricity? If it is, how much does it increase if I plug in a phone to charge?

"Cell Phones use approximately 2 to 6 watts when charging, while a charger left plugged in without a phone will consume 0.1 to 0.5 of a watt. Charging an iphone or android phone under normal use conditions will typically cost under a dollar for a full year."

http://energyusecalculator.com/electricity_cellphone.htm

Main page where you can select any appliance or device to calculate your usage/cost.

http://energyusecalculator.com/calculate_electrical_usage.htm

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #199 on: December 01, 2015, 11:34:57 AM »
Anyone know any good stretches for neck/back and/or exercises to improve posture?  My posture's terrible anyway and the sedentary job makes it worse.  Also I fucked something in my back up yesterday and it's still a bit fucked up today.

For lower back pain the ones I like best are the cat pose/stretch 7:16  and the pigeon pose 11:40.

Don't stretch yourself like a pretzel trying to achieve the perfect form, just until you feel the stretch. When I mess myself up well it normally takes about 3 days until I start noticing something for the better.

On a different note, something I've been meaning to query for a bit- know of any decent compendium of descriptions or videos of what people look like on various kinds of substances/differential "tells" for substances?  There's no way this doesn't exist.

I will hunt around.

I will say personally with someone on opiates it can be very hard to tell unless they are out of pills...sometimes the eyes will give it away, sometimes not.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #200 on: December 01, 2015, 04:50:53 PM »
Had horrible posture in youth, and experiencing severe pain by early twenties. Wore a simple light-weight posture brace for almost a year. It doesn't look like much, but it kicked my ass. Had to start off using it briefly each day and slowly working up to wearing it all day until psychologically trained to no longer need it. Posture probably still isn't the best, but haven't had upper back pain problems since. It was similar to this:

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #201 on: December 01, 2015, 07:04:53 PM »

I will hunt around.

I will say personally with someone on opiates it can be very hard to tell unless they are out of pills...sometimes the eyes will give it away, sometimes not.
Lol, what people look like on opiates is one of the things I'm least questioning (the eyes really are a decent giveaway).  One example is I've heard that I'm less sure on but makes sense is that powder cocaine has more subtle tells than crack (one you're a little fidgety, maybe a coke jaw, the other you can't hold still). 

As someone who's on the therapist side of a lot of drug addicts but stays the fuck away from that in my own life, I can see through bullshit pretty easily, especially over time, but diagnosing in real time exactly what cocktail someone's on is something that's a lot easier for people who have "lived experience."  Not that it ends up mattering all that much- you come *into* therapy fucked up enough that you can't hold still or are nodding out or smell like a college dorm or a bar or whatever it is, you've got a drug problem- but I'd be curious to know if there's resources out there that are any good.

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #202 on: December 01, 2015, 07:10:23 PM »
Had horrible posture in youth, and experiencing severe pain by early twenties. Wore a simple light-weight posture brace for almost a year. It doesn't look like much, but it kicked my ass. Had to start off using it briefly each day and slowly working up to wearing it all day until psychologically trained to no longer need it. Posture probably still isn't the best, but haven't had upper back pain problems since. It was similar to this:

What does "kicked my ass" mean?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 08:12:04 PM by PMS Elle »

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #203 on: December 01, 2015, 09:15:58 PM »
It means it was a whole new world of hurt in the beginning. That pain between the shoulder blades, that's nothing compared to what that little strap of fabric is going to inflict. Sitting and standing up straight is painful when one isn't accustomed to doing it. Even when reaching the point of being able to endure wearing it for six to eight hours, it took forever before being able to wear it while driving. It was a long time ago, so can't really remember how long it took before it stopped huring, but kept wearing it for quite a while after that. Do remember it was about a year before feeling as if no longer needing it. They're inexpensive, so if it doesn't work out no huge loss.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 09:19:20 PM by Jack »

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #204 on: December 02, 2015, 01:11:10 AM »

I will hunt around.

Lol, what people look like on opiates is one of the things I'm least questioning (the eyes really are a decent giveaway).  One example is I've heard that I'm less sure on but makes sense is that powder cocaine has more subtle tells than crack (one you're a little fidgety, maybe a coke jaw, the other you can't hold still). 

As someone who's on the therapist side of a lot of drug addicts but stays the fuck away from that in my own life, I can see through bullshit pretty easily, especially over time, but diagnosing in real time exactly what cocktail someone's on is something that's a lot easier for people who have "lived experience."  Not that it ends up mattering all that much- you come *into* therapy fucked up enough that you can't hold still or are nodding out or smell like a college dorm or a bar or whatever it is, you've got a drug problem- but I'd be curious to know if there's resources out there that are any good.

Over confidence on coke, is what I heard. Once was on a business network day, and someone advised me to take a closer look towards that. Don't know if he was right, or that too much cockiness is part of wannabee big business people by default.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #205 on: December 02, 2015, 01:18:08 AM »
@ Elle,

You could ask people to draw self-portraits.   :orly:

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #206 on: December 02, 2015, 01:37:20 AM »

"Cell Phones use approximately 2 to 6 watts when charging, while a charger left plugged in without a phone will consume 0.1 to 0.5 of a watt. Charging an iphone or android phone under normal use conditions will typically cost under a dollar for a full year."

http://energyusecalculator.com/electricity_cellphone.htm

Main page where you can select any appliance or device to calculate your usage/cost.

http://energyusecalculator.com/calculate_electrical_usage.htm

Cool
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #207 on: December 02, 2015, 01:44:15 AM »

They're not all ass kickers. I wear one with magnets when I am in pain. I put it on to humor my mother and since then I have worn it whenever I need support. I've got 10 crushed/broken vertebrae. I wore it out (it's now held together with safety pins and duck tape) and I have tried to get another without success. They don't make them for man sized backs, even though mine is missing 3 inches. I have one of the smaller ones and will be using my mad sewing skills to make it into a large size one.

They sell these online in every shape and size (for women). Is it possible that more women than men have bad posture? Why would that be?

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #208 on: December 02, 2015, 01:54:06 AM »

They're not all ass kickers. I wear one with magnets when I am in pain. I put it on to humor my mother and since then I have worn it whenever I need support. I've got 10 crushed/broken vertebrae. I wore it out (it's now held together with safety pins and duck tape) and I have tried to get another without success. They don't make them for man sized backs, even though mine is missing 3 inches. I have one of the smaller ones and will be using my mad sewing skills to make it into a large size one.

They sell these online in every shape and size (for women). Is it possible that more women than men have bad posture? Why would that be?

Or is it that women care more about their bad posture?

Can imagine that the difference in physical jobs for women and men can be part of this too. Lots of labour requires a good posture, and will improve posture too. According to my physiotherapist my body would have benefited from a manual labour job like being a mason. (Though physically, lots of masons are worn out physically before the age of 60) Lots of women doing physical labour work with people, patients to take care of. That does overall not improve posture, because of the angles you have to work in. Hairdressing is pretty bad for posture too. Both nurses and hairdressers often have used up their body at an early age too.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #209 on: December 02, 2015, 02:00:56 AM »
Sometimes there are two heavy things in front to hold up. I used to have such bad posture in my teens that by my 20s I couldn't stand up straight.

I went to a chiropractor who gave me a few different exercises to do. Simple ones. Now I can stand straight. Sitting is a different story though. I still slouch badly.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae