Educational

Author Topic: Questions for Icequeen  (Read 16122 times)

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Re: Questions for Icequeen
« Reply #180 on: November 12, 2015, 09:38:26 AM »
Py can't have sulfites - not that anyone would want to, but because I cook with wine and because our neighbors think a bottle of wine is the cure for anything, I now have 3 bottles of white wine with sulfites and nothing to do with them.

I could drink them if I could turn them into port. My autistic sensibilities won't allow me to drink any wine other than port and champagne. Everything else except the occasional taste of sake, I cook with.

Too bad I can't use them for the mice, which went on holiday somewhere but now are back. I'm getting some mousetraps today and maybe will build the one parts suggested, or some out of plastic bottles. It will soon be too cold here for catch and release to be humane. Hm, though - drunken mice falling into a bucket of water. I'm trying bacon in the traps first.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #181 on: November 12, 2015, 09:51:21 AM »
Py can't have sulfites - not that anyone would want to, but because I cook with wine and because our neighbors think a bottle of wine is the cure for anything, I now have 3 bottles of white wine with sulfites and nothing to do with them.

I could drink them if I could turn them into port. My autistic sensibilities won't allow me to drink any wine other than port and champagne. Everything else except the occasional taste of sake, I cook with.

Too bad I can't use them for the mice, which went on holiday somewhere but now are back. I'm getting some mousetraps today and maybe will build the one parts suggested, or some out of plastic bottles. It will soon be too cold here for catch and release to be humane. Hm, though - drunken mice falling into a bucket of water. I'm trying bacon in the traps first.

Mice falling in a bucket of wine? Drinking away their sorrow during their demise?
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #182 on: November 12, 2015, 12:02:15 PM »

Use peanut butter to bait. No pest can resist.

Every fall we have trouble with rodents of all sorts. We buy these little disposable traps to place around the "attached"  garage. You can catch them, drive them ten miles out into the woods and dump them - fairly humane. Last week I had two chipmunks in one trap.
I feel that dumping somewhere near a huge soy farm is better than allowing them to stay ubtill i discover them eating our catfood and attend to them with my old .22 rifle with ratshot loaded up. (completely legal to use ratshot, btw)

But honestly? Do you guys not live in Florida?  Winter - Teh Dead of teH worst Florida winter since the Ice Age would not put off a rodent.  They will be safe if you just dump them somewhere. Millions of years of evolution will work as an advantage.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #183 on: November 12, 2015, 01:05:55 PM »

Every fall we have trouble with rodents of all sorts. We buy these little disposable traps to place around the "attached"  garage. You can catch them, drive them ten miles out into the woods and dump them - fairly humane. Last week I had two chipmunks in one trap.
I feel that dumping somewhere near a huge soy farm is better than allowing them to stay ubtill i discover them eating our catfood and attend to them with my old .22 rifle with ratshot loaded up. (completely legal to use ratshot, btw)

But honestly? Do you guys not live in Florida?  Winter - Teh Dead of teH worst Florida winter since the Ice Age would not put off a rodent.  They will be safe if you just dump them somewhere. Millions of years of evolution will work as an advantage.

At the bolded bit.

Yesterday kid told that there was the opportunity to go to Köln / Cologne with school, next year in spring. It was allowed for those who had not been there last year, and for those who have Americans. I laughed and said that it sounded as having mice. She answered: "you can catch both with peanut butter". :M
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #184 on: November 12, 2015, 01:38:45 PM »

I'm more a port person myself, I never cared for white wine much.

Here's some ideas for it though:
http://www.sheknows.com/food-and-recipes/articles/952079/top-10-things-to-do-with-wine-besides-drink-it

...and although some may find it tacky...there's always the re-gifting option, just try not to get it mixed up and re-gift it to the same person (I normally put an origin note on the bottle).  :zoinks:

DD is right about the peanut butter, it's always worked well for us, trying smearing it on a piece of bacon or a gumdrop too.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #185 on: November 12, 2015, 01:39:09 PM »

At the bolded bit.

Yesterday kid told that there was the opportunity to go to Köln / Cologne with school, next year in spring. It was allowed for those who had not been there last year, and for those who have Americans. I laughed and said that it sounded as having mice. She answered: "you can catch both with peanut butter". :M

Love this.

:rofl:
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 01:42:37 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #186 on: November 12, 2015, 03:50:55 PM »

We moved to Montreal, Quebec in March. We had mice, then rats for a little while in Florida, but they stopped coming in. Could be that colony of feral cats we started feeding, but I like to think the king sized roaches must have defeated them in the competition for attic space. Anything our neighbors had would commute to our house periodically. The worst was when they put in new pipes. The new set of pipes was set down outside our house and we saw roaches flying out of them. They looked like tiny bats.

Here all we have is the mice. Ours seem to like chocolate and chicken. I might see if Py has some peanut butter candy to spare.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #187 on: November 12, 2015, 03:54:37 PM »

I'm more a port person myself, I never cared for white wine much.

Here's some ideas for it though:
http://www.sheknows.com/food-and-recipes/articles/952079/top-10-things-to-do-with-wine-besides-drink-it

...and although some may find it tacky...there's always the re-gifting option, just try not to get it mixed up and re-gift it to the same person (I normally put an origin note on the bottle).  :zoinks:

DD is right about the peanut butter, it's always worked well for us, trying smearing it on a piece of bacon or a gumdrop too.

Peanut butter and bacon - yum. I know about peanut butter but we don't have any. We just have bacon that made us sick. But the peanut butter posts made me remember that Py eats peanut butter candy so I might get some that way, unless I can find some at the dollar store. Stuff's expensive up here. $3.50 just to catch a mouse means finding a different solution.

I don't know anyone else who drinks wine. And I don't know if this wine is any good. But the non-edible solutions seem reasonable - especially the disinfectant. That was how we discouraged the mice before. Maybe they won't like the smell of the wine, either.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 03:57:36 PM by WolFish »

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #188 on: November 12, 2015, 09:06:12 PM »
But honestly? Do you guys not live in Florida?

Not any more.  :headbang2: Got my dream job and got the hell out.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #189 on: November 14, 2015, 02:53:42 PM »

Good for you and yours!! :thumbup:

Sorry for not keeping up better. I feel embarrassed.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #190 on: November 14, 2015, 02:57:46 PM »

We moved to Montreal, Quebec in March. We had mice, then rats for a little while in Florida, but they stopped coming in. Could be that colony of feral cats we started feeding, but I like to think the king sized roaches must have defeated them in the competition for attic space. Anything our neighbors had would commute to our house periodically. The worst was when they put in new pipes. The new set of pipes was set down outside our house and we saw roaches flying out of them. They looked like tiny bats.

Here all we have is the mice. Ours seem to like chocolate and chicken. I might see if Py has some peanut butter candy to spare.

Hilarious, really. The part bolded  cracked me up.

I grew up in the far southern tip of Texas. I am quite familiar with the Giant, flying fucking cockroaches.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #191 on: November 14, 2015, 08:14:26 PM »

It's my own damn fault, I haven't talked about it much. But yes, we're up in the frozen northland now. (Horror of horrors!)
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #192 on: November 23, 2015, 03:43:58 PM »
How good would the white wine be to make an infusion (or whatever they call it) of herbs? I tried this with my port and it seems to work well. I have the herbs in both powder and crushed leaf form. The port stuff is awesome.

The herbs are used for making something called Essiac tea. It kills a cold within days and isn't full of antioxidants. I made some successfully with vodka, but is was hella powerful. There's this stuff called everclear, and I used that. Deadly.
Remains to be seen if the port stuff works as well as the vodka stuff, but if it does, I could try the white wine for it. Py doesn't use essiac and the sulfites don't bother me.

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #193 on: November 24, 2015, 11:30:26 AM »

It's my own damn fault, I haven't talked about it much. But yes, we're up in the frozen northland now. (Horror of horrors!)

No fault. We tend to keep certain personal things to ourselves.

So, you are now back home, living in an igloo again.  Sounds "cool."  :laugh:

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #194 on: November 24, 2015, 04:07:42 PM »
How good would the white wine be to make an infusion (or whatever they call it) of herbs? I tried this with my port and it seems to work well. I have the herbs in both powder and crushed leaf form. The port stuff is awesome.

The herbs are used for making something called Essiac tea. It kills a cold within days and isn't full of antioxidants. I made some successfully with vodka, but is was hella powerful. There's this stuff called everclear, and I used that. Deadly.
Remains to be seen if the port stuff works as well as the vodka stuff, but if it does, I could try the white wine for it. Py doesn't use essiac and the sulfites don't bother me.

I'm thinking more a tincture since that's stronger? It would work, the higher the alcohol content usually the better, but you can make a tincture with vinegar even, it just doesn't keep as long.

You can definitely make infused wines.

http://mountainroseblog.com/diy-herbal-infused-wines/