Author Topic: Questions for Icequeen  (Read 16126 times)

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
Re: Questions for Icequeen
« Reply #90 on: June 29, 2015, 07:31:24 AM »
Is it consistently anti-aging?  I feel like a dipshit for caring, but, well, I do.  :/

And, I am moisturizing, which has helped a lot.  Still working on figuring out the best combo of products to minimize acne.  I live in an area with variable weather including humidity, which means I can't have just one routine all year, so it's ongoing trial and error.

Yes.

It's the Vitamin A.

http://www.realself.com/question/what-anti-aging-ingredients-should-look-wrinkle-cream

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/30/fashion/30skin.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Pa can be like living in an arid deep freeze in the winter, and a polluted tropical jungle in the summer. Women around here seem to age before their time, I'd like to hold it off some.

I bump into people that are 10 yrs younger than me that look 20 yrs older, that I don't even recognize until they open their mouth and start talking.

Call me vain, call me silly...but I care. I don't feel old, why should I feel content to look it?  :laugh:

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #91 on: June 29, 2015, 08:59:26 AM »
Elle and Ren, is it really acne, bothering the two of you?
There is lots of stuff that looks like acne, but isn't. And when you are over 30 it could easily be something else than acne. And in that case it might need a different approach.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #92 on: June 29, 2015, 06:23:51 PM »
There is lots of stuff that looks like acne, but isn't. And when you are over 30 it could easily be something else than acne. And in that case it might need a different approach.
How do I tell if it's acne or just acne impersonations?
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #93 on: June 30, 2015, 02:46:58 AM »
Looking back on photos, I always seemed to have a pimple or two on my chin all the time. I tried antibiotics and they didn't work, a cream called Eryacne and that didn't work either. Now I have Differin and that does work. If I do get pimples now, they aren't as bad and they don't last very long. But I wonder if Differin is doing me damage now.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #94 on: June 30, 2015, 03:56:18 AM »

Visit to the doctor, or other person who knows about skin, alas. Though if you have no or barely no comedones (black or white heads) the chance that it is acne that is bothering you is slim.

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #95 on: June 30, 2015, 05:24:41 AM »

Visit to the doctor, or other person who knows about skin, alas. Though if you have no or barely no comedones (black or white heads) the chance that it is acne that is bothering you is slim.
Where are you getting your info from, hyke?  What shows up for me looks and acts exactly like cystic acne, and the occasional pimple.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #96 on: June 30, 2015, 07:38:53 AM »
Every month like clockwork my face would break out.

It's only starting to stop now in the last 2 years or so.

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #97 on: June 30, 2015, 08:18:20 AM »

Where are you getting your info from, hyke?  What shows up for me looks and acts exactly like cystic acne, and the occasional pimple.

I treated my skin for acne. But it only got worse over the years. After a while it hurt so much that I went to see a doctor about it. So, my info is from personal experience, the GP and his suggestion to browse the internet for rosacea.
I skipped the first stage of the reddened skin, went for pimples and deeper inflammations right away.

If I look at images of cystic acne, it looks like my face, when inflamed, with occasional pimples with it. Doctor told me that it is the look closer up that made it clear to him that mine was no acne. Because of the lack of the blackheads. And because of my pores becoming wider.
Cousin of mine has a similar skin on her face, her condition is yet another one.

Cystic acne is caused by bacteria. My skin suffers from non-bacterial inflammations.
It needs different treatment.

When you are past the age of thirty, there is a fair chance that your acne isn't just acne. And if you want to treat it, it may be good to know what it is you are treating.

Hormones affect my skin as they did when I was younger and did have just acne.

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #98 on: June 30, 2015, 09:21:12 PM »
If an LED and a halogen bulb have the same number of lumens, would the halogen burn hotter? We have halogen and tried an LED bulb but it seems to be just as hot.

The halogen would be hotter, the LED still can put off a good bit of heat, but not as much...and consumes less power.
Much hotter, apparently. The landlord installed our washer/dryer yesterday and I had to take out the bookcase behind the door. This meant that the door was touching the halogen light. The handyman that came along smelled awful - body odor and cigarette smoke. Turns out it wasn't cigarette smoke.
The landlord graciously accepted blame for it since they left the light on while they were working. I left the light on while I went to the dollar store (landlord's recommendation) to find the vent tube I needed. When I came back there was acrid smell but no smoke. Took me a little while to find the problem.

Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #99 on: July 01, 2015, 06:57:09 AM »
Yikes. :zombiefuck:

That light seems like it's in a very strange place.

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #100 on: July 03, 2015, 09:58:19 AM »
It is in a weird place. I am guessing that they ran out of wiring to put it in the right place which would be directly over the sink. Either that or it's what I am coming to know as good old Canadian "no child left behind" incompetence. In our bathroom the light is to the right of the sink, which puts it behind the door. It's a track light with three halogen bulbs. If they had put it over the sink there would not have been an issue since the door doesn't reach that far.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #101 on: July 03, 2015, 10:14:36 AM »

I treated my skin for acne. But it only got worse over the years. After a while it hurt so much that I went to see a doctor about it. So, my info is from personal experience, the GP and his suggestion to browse the internet for rosacea.
I skipped the first stage of the reddened skin, went for pimples and deeper inflammations right away.

If I look at images of cystic acne, it looks like my face, when inflamed, with occasional pimples with it. Doctor told me that it is the look closer up that made it clear to him that mine was no acne. Because of the lack of the blackheads. And because of my pores becoming wider.
Cousin of mine has a similar skin on her face, her condition is yet another one.

Cystic acne is caused by bacteria. My skin suffers from non-bacterial inflammations.
It needs different treatment.

When you are past the age of thirty, there is a fair chance that your acne isn't just acne. And if you want to treat it, it may be good to know what it is you are treating.

Hormones affect my skin as they did when I was younger and did have just acne.
Thought #1:  That does seem a bit like my skin problems.
Thought #2:  It also looks like they're confusing symptoms of rosachea with symptoms of chronic alcoholism fucking your face up.  :P

Question #1:  Does retin a make rosachea worse?

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #102 on: July 03, 2015, 10:41:46 AM »
If an LED and a halogen bulb have the same number of lumens, would the halogen burn hotter? We have halogen and tried an LED bulb but it seems to be just as hot.

The halogen would be hotter, the LED still can put off a good bit of heat, but not as much...and consumes less power.
Much hotter, apparently. The landlord installed our washer/dryer yesterday and I had to take out the bookcase behind the door. This meant that the door was touching the halogen light. The handyman that came along smelled awful - body odor and cigarette smoke. Turns out it wasn't cigarette smoke.
The landlord graciously accepted blame for it since they left the light on while they were working. I left the light on while I went to the dollar store (landlord's recommendation) to find the vent tube I needed. When I came back there was acrid smell but no smoke. Took me a little while to find the problem.

Your lucky you didn't have a fire. 
While they do get hot CFLs and LEDs don't normally get hot enough to trip the temperature circuits in
recessed lights when they are covered in insulation even when they are not rated to be covered so I don't think they would give you this problem if used instead of halogens

"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #103 on: July 03, 2015, 10:42:29 AM »
With all the stuff you find have you ever considered selling at a flea market?
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #104 on: July 03, 2015, 10:58:00 AM »
pmselle - alcohol consumption worsens rosacea, so the two can easily be linked. 
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv: