Author Topic: Arthur C Clark, prophet.  (Read 560 times)

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
Arthur C Clark, prophet.
« on: February 10, 2015, 07:34:08 PM »
This guy saw it all comming.

Offline Graelwyn

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
Re: Arthur C Clark, prophet.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 08:20:57 PM »
I shall watch that when my eyes are open fully, lol.
2.20am here and bad cold is making me too fuzzy to do much requiring any brain activity.
I used to read Arthur C Clarke in my teenage years, when sci-fi books were my interest.

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 09:05:59 PM »
yep. He put a lot of this into his fiction too, and in 2001:a Space Odyssey (which he co-wrote with Stanley Kubrick) .
Having been young  back then, I got fed up of waiting for it all to happen, and started to think  that i would die iof old age, or we'd blow each up first. So I was actually pretty damn surprised when personal computers finally took off.

As the title of the film shows, he expected it all to happen rather sooner  than it actually did.  We're still waiting for a computer like HAL, and for passenger  flights to the Moon.

Offline Graelwyn

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 09:32:05 PM »
yep. He put a lot of this into his fiction too, and in 2001:a Space Odyssey (which he co-wrote with Stanley Kubrick) .
Having been young  back then, I got fed up of waiting for it all to happen, and started to think  that i would die iof old age, or we'd blow each up first. So I was actually pretty damn surprised when personal computers finally took off.

As the title of the film shows, he expected it all to happen rather sooner  than it actually did.  We're still waiting for a computer like HAL, and for passenger  flights to the Moon.

I have always loved 2001:A Space Odyssey. I sort of an interest in AI, but I doubt there will ever come a time when there is anything akin to HAL or that boy in AI, or Data from ST:TNG. Many people find the concept quite creepy, but it fascinates me.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 12:09:02 AM »
2001 is awesome, one of my all-time favourites.

I think it could all have happened by now if the US hadn't decided to shrink NASA's budget and refocus what remains every few years. The technology to establish a moon base is there, and there is an orbiting space station, but the focus has been elsewhere.

And there is Virgin Galactic, that will bring spaceflight to the masses at some point.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 12:46:17 AM »
yeah, 2001 was one seriously aspie sort of film :)

I think Ray Bradbury was really prophetic, too, in Fahrenheit 451. We don't have fireproof houses and book-burning, (not exactly) but the rest of it was spot-on, the way he saw the media developing into something that engulfed peoples' lives and detached and distracted them from the serious issues:wall-to-wall interactive TV with utterly dumb storylines, people walking down the street , seeing nothing around them, lost in the junky music blaring through their I-pods (or whatever it was Bradbutry called 'em), newspapers reduced to comic-strips.  My son, when I got him to read it, just couldn't believe this was written in 1953. There's next-to-nothing in that book that really dates it.

Offline Graelwyn

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 01:33:05 AM »
I actually sometimes feel sad that I will not be alive to see what becomes of the future, especially when it comes to technology.
I have always had more interest in the long distant past, and the long distant future, than any present time. I used to watch Bladerunner over and over, night after night, and long to be living in that sort of world. Maybe it was all the neon lights, lol? That is another amazing film, of course. I was majorly pissed off when late last year, I missed the opportunity to see it on the big screen because I forgot the date it was on, even though I had booked a ticket.

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 07:58:26 AM »

I think it could all have happened by now if the US hadn't decided to shrink NASA's budget and refocus what remains every few years. The technology to establish a moon base is there, and there is an orbiting space station, but the focus has been elsewhere.

And there is Virgin Galactic, that will bring spaceflight to the masses at some point.

Yes, blame the US. :P I don't see Sweden planning a moon base. :hahaha:
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 09:53:23 AM »

I think NASA should be a globally funded program.  :orly:
:gopher:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 12:26:56 AM »

/shrugs

The fact of the matter is that NASA could have done it by now.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 12:27:37 AM »

You do know that there are other space agencies, right?

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2015, 12:31:23 AM »
Oh, and Semi: remind me. How are astronauts transported to the International Space Station, currently? :zoinks:

- Albert Einstein

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2015, 05:53:51 AM »

You do know that there are other space agencies, right?

Sure, but you were the one faulting NASA in particular. I still think space exploration should be a global effort, so that would make all space stations belonging to the same agency. A new name would be in order. We could still call it NASA though if you need to mock it.  :zoinks:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2015, 05:55:56 AM »
Oh, and Semi: remind me. How are astronauts transported to the International Space Station, currently? :zoinks:

In Volvos?  :zoinks:

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2015, 07:40:24 AM »

In Volvos?  :zoinks:

:trollface:

How did the International Space Station get into space? :zoinks:
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.