Educational

Author Topic: What do you eat for Christmas, you punks?  (Read 1958 times)

Litigious

What do you eat for Christmas, you punks?
« on: December 20, 2006, 11:40:58 AM »
Swedish Christmas food: ham, cheese, hering, salads, potatoes, rice pudding, etc. The ham is the most important dish, like turkey in Britain and America. In addition, we eat a lot of nuts, fruit, chocolate, fudge, marzipan (usually formed like pigs) and drink a lot of beer and schnaps.

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Bake Sale Coordinator of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: What do you eat for Christmas, you punks?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 12:20:04 PM »
A lot of people eat ham for dinner here, too. My family does sometimes. My mom also likes to cook lasagna or baked ziti, but she's half Italian. Really what we eat varies from year to year, but it's usually something Italian.

thepeaguy

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 12:30:01 PM »
A lot of people eat ham for dinner here, too. My family does sometimes. My mom also likes to cook lasagna or baked ziti, but she's half Italian. Really what we eat varies from year to year, but it's usually something Italian.

Whatsa matter, you? Hey, why you looking so sad?

Filthy I-talians.

Litigious

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 01:31:41 PM »
I blame the stereotypes. I always thought that every family in America had turkey for Christmas.

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 01:41:02 PM »
I blame the stereotypes. I always thought that every family in America had turkey for Christmas.

Maybe you're getting it confused with Thanksgiving.

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 01:41:34 PM »

Whatsa matter, you? Hey, why you looking so sad?

Filthy I-talians.

???

Litigious

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2006, 01:44:10 PM »

I thought you ate it for both holidays. In films they always eat turkey for Thanksgiving and Christmas in America.

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2006, 01:48:48 PM »
Turkey, stuffing, roast potatoes, veg (but not sprouts which I've banned from my house) and yorkshire puddings.  Pudding will be something rich and indulgent- but not xmas pudding or cake since Dunc is the only one in the house that likes them.

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2006, 01:50:20 PM »

I thought you ate it for both holidays. In films they always eat turkey for Thanksgiving and Christmas in America.

A lot of people eat if for Christmas too, but not nearly as often as Thanksgiving. It seems like most people eat turkey OR ham for Christmas.

Litigious

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2006, 01:53:41 PM »
OK.  ;)

Swedish Christmas candy:

Knäck

Thin ginger snaps

Marzipan pigs. I've gotten one or two every year since I was a child:

Glögg, like German Glühwein, with raisins and sweet almond pieces in it:

ozymandias

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2006, 02:20:32 PM »
Beef Tenderloin aka Filet Mignon for the wife and myself, veal filet for Amber (she's not into the steak thing, but, loves veal), rice, squash, green beans or asparagus.  Dessert is Yellow cake with milk chocolate frosting.

As for Turkey, I don't like it, it takes too long to cook as opposed to a roasting chicken and the chicken tastes better (to me).  I can't even remember the last time I had turkey for the holidaze.

Litigious

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2006, 02:24:57 PM »
Damned Hollywood fooling innocent Europeans to believe that Americans always eat turkey for Christmas.

Filet Mignon is sooo good, but I haven't tasted it for a long time.  :P

ozymandias

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2006, 02:47:59 PM »
Damned Hollywood fooling innocent Europeans to believe that Americans always eat turkey for Christmas.

Filet Mignon is sooo good, but I haven't tasted it for a long time.  :P

Well the sight of a huge turkey being brought into a room by a well dressed wife with a pearl necklace and the "adoring-well behaved" family sitting around the table,  Is a nice little Hollywood Icon.  And many people do eat Turkey for the hoildaze.  Otherwise we wouldn't have these huge turkey farms churning out millions of turkeys for slaughter every year.  It's a billion dollar industry! ::)

Scrapheap

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2006, 02:53:01 PM »

My parents usually do a turkey for Christmas, but not always.... Just depends what they're in the mood for.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2006, 03:14:45 PM »
We have a selection of meats for Christmas; usually turkey, ham and beef, with roast potatoes and other veg, and then berries for desert.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?