Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Ebola
« Reply #90 on: October 26, 2014, 11:57:12 PM »
Ebola out of control in NY...  :zombiefuck:

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #91 on: October 27, 2014, 01:39:00 AM »
Quarantined nurse: My 'human rights' violated...

Kaci Hickox, a nurse placed under mandatory quarantine in New Jersey, went on CNN on Sunday and criticized the "knee-jerk reaction by politicians" to Ebola, saying "to quarantine someone without a better plan in place, without more forethought, is just preposterous."

Hickox, who was working to help treat Ebola patients in Sierra Leone, has tested negative twice for Ebola and does not have symptoms, she said.

"This is an extreme that is really unacceptable, and I feel like my basic human rights have been violated," Hickox told CNN's Candy Crowley on "State of the Union."

She described herself as "physically strong" but "emotionally exhausted."

"To put me through this emotional and physical stress is completely unacceptable," she said.

She slammed New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie for describing her as "obviously ill."

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/26/health/new-jersey-quarantined-nurse/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

A mandatory 21-day quarantine imposed by New York and New Jersey on health care workers returning from West Africa after treating Ebola patients caught local and federal officials by surprise and spurred a heated debate on handling the spread of the virus.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/25/health/us-ebola/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Sorry I have to agree with this, this isn't the fucking flu and if they think it spread fast over there, think what it could do in NYC...and as for Kaci...I say keep her an extra 7 days for being a whiny ass bitch.

And she is a healthworker?

I'd expect healthworkers at risk to self-quarantine at least. Doesn't have to be the hospital, but has to be a place away from people, with only a few trusted people dropping groceries in disposable bags at the door.

What is 21 days without physical contact, if you can keep all loved ones safe from risk by it?

Nigeria shows how important it is to confine possible patients away from other people. It's the only way to prevent Ebola from spreading.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #92 on: October 27, 2014, 07:37:31 AM »

And she is a healthworker?

I'd expect healthworkers at risk to self-quarantine at least. Doesn't have to be the hospital, but has to be a place away from people, with only a few trusted people dropping groceries in disposable bags at the door.

What is 21 days without physical contact, if you can keep all loved ones safe from risk by it?

Nigeria shows how important it is to confine possible patients away from other people. It's the only way to prevent Ebola from spreading.

IMO she shouldn't be after this. Her Linkin page (which mysteriously disappeared soon after it hit the chat boards) had on it that she was employed by the CDC.  :dunno:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #93 on: October 27, 2014, 01:56:54 PM »
She is asymptomatic, though, and I think this whole thing is driven by fear rather than reason.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #94 on: October 27, 2014, 04:26:31 PM »
Fear is a good reason to be as safe as possible.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #95 on: October 27, 2014, 11:59:48 PM »
But rather counterproductive.

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #96 on: October 28, 2014, 12:52:51 AM »
She is asymptomatic, though, and I think this whole thing is driven by fear rather than reason.

The two Dutch doctors who came to the Netherlands to wait and see if they were infected had been working at an Ebola free hospital. Then asymptomatic patients came in, but with Ebola none the less. Those doctors kept themselves in quarantine for as long as needed.

A better safe than sorry approach with Ebola is well advised, I think. Once it gets hold of bigger cities, no matter in what country, fear will make that some patients will hide and not go to hospitals.

Fear may be a reason to quarantine strictly. Fear is also the reason the bloody disease spreads so well.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #97 on: October 28, 2014, 05:33:25 AM »
:o exchanging bodily fluids goes on enough.   eeeww

Why do the healthworkers wear masks then, and did you see this,  that  Spanish priest?

that looks scary
Bolded is why everyone is flipping out about something that isn't remotely as much of a threat to the first world as the coverage it's getting would have you believe.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #98 on: October 28, 2014, 05:37:41 AM »
Personally I think being pulled away from your life for three weeks straight for catching a disease that isn't actually all that easily spread sounds pretty fucked up indeed.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #99 on: October 28, 2014, 07:20:29 AM »

She is now. I guess when they first hit her with the thermometer at the airport she registered a temp of 101...she said she was angry and overheated. Quite possible, but I understand the fear, especially since they have one returning Dr. in the hospital now in NY (who showed no symptoms until about a week after his return), he had been out jogging, riding the subway, getting together with friends...etc.

Ebola is not spread easily, but it is spread through body fluids...so is a stomach virus...how many cruise ships have been sunk by one of those? Anyone who's ever cared for a sick kid under the age of 4 knows their fate with that and how easily bodily fluids can be exchanged.  :P 

In hindsight I should have bought some cheap hazmat suits...they have been selling like hotcakes on Ebay for Halloween. Between "Breaking Bad" and Ebola the sales are nuts.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #100 on: October 28, 2014, 11:19:58 AM »

She is now. I guess when they first hit her with the thermometer at the airport she registered a temp of 101...she said she was angry and overheated. Quite possible, but I understand the fear, especially since they have one returning Dr. in the hospital now in NY (who showed no symptoms until about a week after his return), he had been out jogging, riding the subway, getting together with friends...etc.

Ebola is not spread easily, but it is spread through body fluids...so is a stomach virus...how many cruise ships have been sunk by one of those? Anyone who's ever cared for a sick kid under the age of 4 knows their fate with that and how easily bodily fluids can be exchanged.  :P 

In hindsight I should have bought some cheap hazmat suits...they have been selling like hotcakes on Ebay for Halloween. Between "Breaking Bad" and Ebola the sales are nuts.

I guess I'll have reason to reconsider my views if she actually does have Ebola. I find it unlikely, though, as her temp is supposedly normal now.

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #101 on: October 28, 2014, 11:20:39 AM »
Personally I think being pulled away from your life for three weeks straight for catching a disease that isn't actually all that easily spread sounds pretty fucked up indeed.

I agree.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #102 on: October 28, 2014, 04:47:23 PM »
But rather counterproductive.
Oldest spent the first three weeks of military in quarantine as swine flu suspect; told her good. False alarm, life went on, everything's fine.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #103 on: October 28, 2014, 06:59:35 PM »
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!