Author Topic: Stripping citizenship from terrorists  (Read 3041 times)

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
Stripping citizenship from terrorists
« on: September 16, 2014, 05:59:09 AM »
Apparently David Cameron and Ted Cruz have similar ideas about fighting terrorism. Here's an old story about the UK stripping terrorism suspects of their citizenship:

Quote from: Telegraph
The government has been accused of using 'sinister’ powers to strip British citizenship from people viewed as a national security risk.

Since 2010, the Home Secretary, Theresa May, has revoked the passports of 16 individuals, mostly because of links to terror or militant groups.

Human rights groups claim the process allows the governement to 'wash its hands’ of British nationals, exposing them to torture and illegal detention abroad.

Laws were passed in 2002 enabling the Home Secretary to remove the citizenship of any dual nationals who had done something “seriously prejudicial” but the power was rarely used.

Lib Dem deputy leader Simon Hughes said he was concerned at the growing number of people who had lost their citizenship while Ian Macdonald QC, the president of the Immigration Law Practitioners’ Association, described the spike as “sinister”.

Last night the Home Office said citizenship was 'a privilege not a right’ and added that all the decisions had been taken for the public good.

The investigation was carried out by the Bureau of Investigative Journalism for The Independent newspaper.

Mr Macdonald said: "They’re using executive powers and I think they’re using them quite wrongly,” he said.

“It’s not open government; it’s closed, and it needs to be exposed.”

Those targeted include Bilal al- Berjawi, a British-Lebanese man who came to the UK as a baby and grew up in London, but left for Somalia in 2009 with his close friend the British born Mohamed Sakr, who also held Egyptian nationality.

Both were subject to extensive surveillance by British intelligence after the security services became concerned they were involved in terrorist activities.

A Home Office spokeswoman said: “Citizenship is a privilege not a right. The Home Secretary has the power to remove citizenship from individuals where she considers it is conducive to the public good. An individual subject to deprivation can appeal to the courts.”

She added: “We don’t routinely comment on individual deprivation cases.”

Source

Here's a report on an American plan to do the same thing:

Quote from: Rebecca Kaplan
Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, filed a bill on Monday to punish Americans who join the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) or any other terrorist group by stripping them of their United States citizenship.

His "Expatriate Terrorist Act" amends an existing statute that lays out conditions under which an American could renounce their U.S. citizenship to include becoming a member of, fighting for or providing material assistance to a designated foreign terrorist organization that is working to attack the U.S. or its citizens.

"Americans who choose to go to Syria or Iraq to fight with vicious ISIS terrorists are party to a terrorist organization committing horrific acts of violence, including beheading innocent American journalists who they have captured," Cruz said in a statement. "There can be no clearer renunciation of their citizenship in the United States, and we need to do everything we can to preempt any attempt on their part to re-enter our country and carry out further attacks on American civilians."

American officials have expressed particular concern over the American and European fighters who join ISIS and other groups. Because they hold passports from the U.S. and Western European countries, it is easy for them to enter the U.S. - and perhaps carry out a terror attack on the homeland - without being subjected to heightened scrutiny.

The first American to carry out a suicide bomb attack in Syria, Moner Mohammad Abusalha, returned to his home in Florida between the time he first traveled to Syria to train with an al-Qaeda offshoot and the day he detonated explosives strapped to his body.

Source
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Re: Stripping citizenship from terrorists
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 06:23:00 AM »
Why not just put an alert on their passports and arrest them when they try and use them it seems a bit less complicated.
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 07:31:29 AM »
That's what we do here at I².   :orly:
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 02:56:11 PM »
Why not just put an alert on their passports and arrest them when they try and use them it seems a bit less complicated.

If the government has to obey the Constitution, then the terrorists have won. :tard:

There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 03:12:24 PM »

If the government has to obey the Constitution, then the terrorists have won. :tard:

I don't see anything unconstitutional about stripping away people's citizenship as long as there's due process.

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 03:18:25 PM »

I don't see anything unconstitutional about stripping away people's citizenship as long as there's due process.

Reread the Fourteenth Amendment.

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 04:57:52 PM »

It only prohibits the states from stripping away citizenship, not the federal government.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 05:35:29 PM »

Due process yeah right ::)
Then there is creep,  now it's  for terrorists soon for whatever the next grandstanding politician  wants.   Also if they do finish whatever sentence they get where do they go?
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 06:35:36 PM »

It only prohibits the states from stripping away citizenship, not the federal government.

It prohibits everyone from stripping away citizenship. Link

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 06:51:24 PM »
Semicolon is correct.

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 07:56:34 PM »

No it doesn't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizenship_Clause#Loss_of_citizenship

Offline Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2014, 09:13:28 PM »

Even if the guy is the subject of the next Canuck letter?

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2014, 09:28:18 PM »

No it doesn't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizenship_Clause#Loss_of_citizenship

???

Where does it say there that the federal government may remove citizenship, except in case of fraud?

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2014, 12:24:18 AM »
Oh. I thought this was about stripping terrorists.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2014, 05:05:07 AM »
Oh. I thought this was about stripping terrorists.

It can be, if terrorist noodz are posted. :zoinks: