Author Topic: What are You watching?  (Read 75558 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: What are You watching?
« Reply #4305 on: August 20, 2019, 10:47:36 AM »
Watched the second season of Mindhunter. Pretty damned good.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #4306 on: August 24, 2019, 07:11:12 AM »
Just watched the 2014 German film, Stations of the Cross on BBC i-player.

It's like, suppose you took the paranormal/horror elerment out of Carrie, and zeroed in on the dysfunctional mother-daughter relationship (as well as other significant relationships)  toning the whole thing down by several notches, so you wound up with more nuanced , human, convincing characters. It's exactly like that.  And a hundred times  more affecting and thought-provoking, as a result.

I very much agree with this review:
Decent Films gave the film an "A-" grade, saying "Stations of the Cross is among the most insightful and devastating cross-examinations of religious fundamentalism that I have ever seen, certainly in a Catholic context. The film is not so much an attack on faith or religion, but an examination of how faith goes wrong."
And here are some more notes from Wikipadia:
Maria (Lea van Acken), is a 14-year-old Catholic girl in a religiously fanatic family who has dedicated her life to serving God. She is preparing with a group of young people for confirmation in a southern German town. Their church belongs to the Society of St Paul that rejects the more secular rulings of the Second Vatican Council, and holds to the Latin mass. Learning of the 14 Stations of the Cross that Jesus endured on his path to Golgotha, she thinks that this is what she also must go through in order to reach Heaven, and potentially cure her younger brother's autism
The fictitious Society of St Paul is based on the Society of Saint Pius X, a traditional Catholic Church organization of which the German co-writer Anna Brüggemann, and her director brother Dietrich Brüggemann, had first hand experience.

Anybody else, here, seen this film?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 07:17:43 AM by Walkie »

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4307 on: August 25, 2019, 01:22:11 AM »
The Thick of It
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #4308 on: August 25, 2019, 08:20:37 AM »
Woot! The long-awaited series 5 of Peaky Blinders starts tonight at 9 pm on BBC1

Anyone still not seen series 1-4? they're still  up on BBC i-player for the next 25 days. Gotta repeat my warning not to watch it on Netflix. Get the original BBC version by hook or by crook, because the Netflix version has a different soundtrack.  The original soundtrack is one of the major delights of this series.

I notice that you can buy series 1-4 from BBC Worldwide America on You Tube.  (with series 5 tio be added shortly, presumably).  @ 9.49 GBP per series (HD) Worth it, IMO. Heck, i won't normally do pay to view, at all,  especially not for BBC programs, cos I'm already paying the freaking licence fee for those. But, when I was watching  series 1-4 (for the second time running)along  with my son. I wound  up doing exactly  that, to fill in a few unexpected holes in what was available through free sources.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 08:24:38 AM by Walkie »

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #4309 on: August 25, 2019, 08:45:47 AM »
Oh! coincidentally, I recently watched George clooney's adaptation of Catch-22 on British TV (Channel 4, IIRC) which was really brilliant, Meant to mention it.

The coincidence?  A couple of people on this board were recently speculating that the horrors of WW2 had left a lasting imprint on the American psyche, which was a novel idea to me, cos we're most used to thinking of the horrors of 'Nam in that context.  But I can buy that, especially after watching that series.  Also, that discussuion snagged my attention because I'm increasingly interested in the idea that the two World Wars left a lasting imprint on the British Psyche, which (so far as WW1 was concerned) is one of the themes of Peaky Blinders, and of the things that elevates it to more than just another gangster yarn.

Bloody hell, Walkie, you can't just sit back and enjoy a good yarn can you? Bloody spazz  :LOL:

« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 09:00:50 AM by Walkie »

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #4310 on: August 26, 2019, 03:56:12 AM »
A couple of people on this board were recently speculating that the horrors of WW2 had left a lasting imprint on the American psyche
No doubt about that.

But proportional to its population, AFAIK the US lost significantly less lives than any other major combatant. In fact, the world lost about 2.5% of its population in the war and the US lost about 0.3% (by my rough calculations).

Not saying the horrors weren't real for the US. But with a slightly larger population the Soviet Union lost about 60 times as many lives. It was horrible all over.

I remember my uncle, who fought the Japanese in Papua New Guinea, telling me about how the Aussies were living on the most basic, barely palatable army rations while the American servicemen had plenty of cash and fresh food including things like tomatoes.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #4311 on: August 26, 2019, 08:14:23 AM »
A couple of people on this board were recently speculating that the horrors of WW2 had left a lasting imprint on the American psyche
No doubt about that.

But proportional to its population, AFAIK the US lost significantly less lives than any other major combatant. In fact, the world lost about 2.5% of its population in the war and the US lost about 0.3% (by my rough calculations).

Not saying the horrors weren't real for the US. But with a slightly larger population the Soviet Union lost about 60 times as many lives. It was horrible all over.

I remember my uncle, who fought the Japanese in Papua New Guinea, telling me about how the Aussies were living on the most basic, barely palatable army rations while the American servicemen had plenty of cash and fresh food including things like tomatoes.

Oh yeah.   It must be said,  there was actually  much resentment against Americam GIs in England. Popular saying was that they were "overpaid, oversexed and over here", or alternatively "overfed..."You can imagine how British soldiers felt about  leaving their families the mercy of German bombers, whilst the Yanks seemingly occupied their time lounging  about on British Airbases and copping off with their women. And not only that, they were well provided for  , unlike said families and soldiers,  which made it all the easier to cop off with said women. Rationing in Britain was really punishing, and continued for years and years after the war, right into the fifties... on account of our pledge to help rebuild Germany, so I've heard.

Living in Britain during WW2 must have been a lot  like living in modern day Syria. I grew up, in the sixties, listening to the old folk's stories of the horrors; although it has to said that many of the worst affected  were too traumatised to ever talk about it. And the British Propaganda Machine played down  the horror, and played up the bravado, of course, so there's not much left in the way of truthful accounts.  ( I saw an intersting TV program, a few years ago, which had managed to dig up some accurate  accounts and some repressed statistics).

Even in the sixties, you could still see the bombed-out shells of houses on almost every urban street, whole streets of them in places;  and growing up with that , it just seemed a normal and natural part of the lanscape ; we kids called them "ghost houses"  and dared each other to go inside.  It's only looking back that that I think "Good god..."'

The americans have no idea. It's pretty gross to play one-up-manship with horror isn;t it? so i was trying not to do that. It's not as if the British experience of War invalidates the American experience is it? I wouldn't want to deny that modern day Ameicans are still dealing with the fall-out, just because we had it worse, statistically speaking. Experiences like that should unify people, and make them more sympathetic to each other, not divide them.

That said, resentmentment against the Yanks, at the time, was mult-faceted , and entirely understandable.  Ther Brits disliked for the Yanks for their racism, for another thing, and would often take the black GI's side in pub brawls , according to an article I recently read.  But , most of all, there's the galling fact that America was a very late entrant into both World Wars. Which brings me neatly back to Peaky Blinders.  Here's one amusing clip, from series 4, in which this Italian-American mafioso type is driving down an english country road on his way to an execute one , or more, of the Shelby family (not really a spoiler)

« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 08:27:34 AM by Walkie »

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4312 on: August 28, 2019, 01:25:49 PM »
^Really want to watch Catch 22 in the Clooney version.

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4313 on: August 28, 2019, 01:26:27 PM »
Decided to watch Good Omens. Brilliant.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • May the FORCE be with you...always!!!
« Reply #4314 on: September 02, 2019, 10:35:11 PM »
The Simpsons
Crazy, I'm halfway to crazy
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Oh, is life as bad as dreams
I guess that's just the way it seems

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #4315 on: September 02, 2019, 11:56:48 PM »
The Simpsons

Can't sleep, so still the above...
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4316 on: September 04, 2019, 07:26:59 AM »
Good Omens was fabulous.

Now watching Yes Minister for the umpteenth time.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #4317 on: September 04, 2019, 11:02:37 AM »
Amphibia
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4318 on: September 06, 2019, 01:58:21 AM »
Started watching American Gods. Pretty good but nowhere near as good as the book.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #4319 on: September 06, 2019, 10:33:19 PM »
Amphibia
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me