Educational

Author Topic: What do potatoes and other fruit/veg cost where you live?  (Read 140 times)

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
What do potatoes and other fruit/veg cost where you live?
« on: April 09, 2014, 05:54:56 AM »
Brenna mentioned that when she was in the hospital, they'd given her potassium supplements after doing her bloodwork and finding she was deficient, and when I asked her if she ate potatoes, she said she only eats them occasionally because they're expensive where she lives (Buttfuck, Virginia).  I've read quite a lot of stuff from people in the US complaining that fruit and veg is really expensive and that they can't afford to eat healthily as a result.  What're your experiences of prices, in the US and other countries?

Here, potatoes are about the cheapest thing you can get; Asda's Smartprice shit-tier potatoes are £0.47/kg, or $0.36/lb, with luxury potatoes going for £0.80/kg to £1.50/kg.  Frozen broccoli, peas and cauliflower are all £1.00/kg, or $0.76/lb.  Bananas are £0.68/kg or $0.52/lb, and oranges are £1.25/kg or $0.95/lb.

I also found this:
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
Re: What do potatoes and other fruit/veg cost where you live?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 06:49:36 AM »
Here it depends very much on where you buy your fruit and vegetables. I have no car, and there is only a Spar close by. So, I buy most stuff at one of the more expensive places. And, with the least variation. They do have a limited range, because the village is small.
That is why I buy my potatoes in bulk. 10kg cost less than 3kg. And I give part of the potatoes away.
There always are seasonal vegetables. And there always seems to be at least one affordable vegetable. Brussels sprouts in winter, for a three person meal, will cost about a euro. Carrots are almost always cheap. But, in a Spar, prices for broccoli can be close to €5 per kg. And even tomatoes go up to €4 per kg. So, for some foods, I go to the frozen sector. Frozen kale and spinach are about a euro per kg.
When I am in a nearby town, I will often get some fruit and veggies there, not too much, it isn't convenient to take that with me on the bus, and my bike bags are not that spacy. But, I will go there, for price, and variation.
Recently discovered there is a farm shop, not too far away from here. Will check out that soon. May be cheaper, and fresher, of course.

Fruits, there is a local fruit farm not too far away, that I sometimes go to by bike. They often have apples on offer.
The local spar, well, in oranges, they are about the same as other supermarkets, around €3 per 2 kg. Apples vary, from €1 to €3 per kg. The one euro is an on offer price, so most of the times not available. There is always a fruit on offer though, just like there is always a vegetable on offer.

If you do not skip the frozen department, and things like sauerkraut, it is possible to eat healthy at very doable costs, even with only a Spar available, in my country. (the Netherlands)

In a city, the opportunities are much better. More supermarkets, more open markets, and things like Turkish community shops. Wider variety, at much better prices.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 09:03:45 AM »
Depends on where you shop here too. I have a little store down the road with mostly local produce...much cheaper than Walmart.

They tend to move things fast and reduce a lot quickly also. I check the reduced rack a lot, and pick up nice bags of potatoes for $1.00, or a giant bags of peppers, broccoli for the same or less, good if you can use it right away or freeze it. Bought a big bag with 2 bunches of bananas last time for .25...came home and made muffins, bread, and cookies, and still gave some away.  :LOL:  Farms all around us...corn is plentiful...and everyone plants a garden basically...zucchini and tomatoes are everywhere in the summer. People pull drive-bys with the zucchini and leave it at the door.

I remember one year my garden literally exploded...I put a table of produce out front in the shade with a sign and a stack of plastic bags...FREE!

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 10:31:03 AM »
The charts are pretty representative of costs here.  There are Winn-Dixie, Rouses, Zuppardo's, Breaux Mart, Wal-Mart, Dollar Tree, Sams and Save A Lot within 5 miles.  I save money by shopping around and will usually spend less than that, although not significantly less.  I buy in season and loss leaders.     
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv: