Author Topic: Open Source  (Read 367 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Open Source
« on: February 28, 2014, 12:20:17 AM »
Consider this a sister thread to my Wikipedia one. :P

I like open source software and use it every day. Linux, of course, is a prime example. The mind map software Freeplane is another. And there are a number of tools I use at work, every day, that are open source, written by people who normally get paid to develop ridiculously expensive products for Fortune 500 companies. They are updated often by their creators, but also regularly patched by others who use them. Bugs are fixed very, very quickly, in most cases, and features are added if people want them and somebody has the time and know-how.

A case in point. I was presenting at a conference a year or two ago, showing stuff that I had developed, using a piece of open source software called Calabash. The author, Norm Walsh, was sitting in the auditorium, listening to my talk.

The W3C standard Calabash is based on, XProc, has some built-in problems. There are features it sorely needs that just aren't there yet. And one of these missing features had forced me to do a rather complicated workaround, which I was explaining to my audience, among them Norm, the author of Calabash.

I finished my talk to reasonably enthusiastic applause and sat down to listen to a colleague's talk, hooking up my laptop and checking my mail while listening.

One was from Norm. While listening to my talk, he had designed an extension to Calabash that fixed the very problem I had outlined to the audience, literally minutes before. He explained his basic idea and asked if that would fix my problem. It did.

More recently, I based my Prague talk on several open source technologies and worked with their authors to develop these technologies so they'd do what I needed them to.

My demo, of course, is now also open source, thanks to my boss who graciously agreed to release it as such.

Compare this kind of rapid development with proprietary software. I could pick a large one , like MS Word, but a better example is actually Microsoft's Solitaire Windows game.

It's been around since the 90s, at least, and certainly before Windows 95. It's not that complicated but there are bugs in it that have been around since I first used it on a Windows 3.1 computer. There are missing features and there is some built-in ugliness, and yet none of it will be fixed because it's proprietary and MS won't set aside the budget to do it.

There are some brilliant open source alternatives to it, though.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Open Source
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 04:27:59 AM »
I'm the only one here who cares about open source?  :'(
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 04:56:21 AM »
Maybe.

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 06:50:04 AM »
I use Android.  Have had several tablets, touch screens, phones etc.

The open source apps I use are awesome!  I can print anything from my phone.  There are several games that I enjoy but my favourite apps -  my bubble spirit level and a 3D compass!  Microsoft can just go and kiss my fat, clown ass now. 

Yes I would be more inclined to donate because I actually use the things.  I don't really use Wikipedia much.

I would be lost without Open Source and restricted to Microsoft. 
blah blah blah

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 08:32:55 AM »
I don't even know what it is. If you explained it to me like a child I would still be giving you a blank look. I am not really that technical truth be told.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 09:37:10 AM »
I think that's an awesome story about the convention and so does WolFish. That's the best of conferences right there.

I use OpenOffice whenever I can. It still has some problems handling Word templates but for most text editing I've found it works just fine.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 11:33:28 AM »
I hate Word and use Open Office for everything.  The whole idea of open source is very appealing to me as a tinkerer I wish I was more knowledgeable and skilled in computer stuff that I could use more such as Linux as I HATE windows 8 but am afraid of getting in over my head on things
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 12:38:39 PM »
I got lucky when I got my computer a little while back, that they still had a few copies of Windows 7 in the back store room and they were willing to sell me one.

I would like to be at a Linux based office again. Might encourage me to use it at home because I'd get familiar enough with it to feel ok troubleshooting.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 01:02:38 PM »
I will be making the switch since I have a couple still running XP and Vista hanging around here.

The only thing that stopped me before was laziness and incompatible hardware, which is not the problem that it used to be back when I had a dual boot system and Mandrake 15+ years ago.

Windows 8 and their new office package IMO sucks. I'm already running a some things in VM ware now on the old laptop, but there are new and better things :drool:...time to get off my lazy ass and do it already.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 12:19:43 AM »
I don't even know what it is. If you explained it to me like a child I would still be giving you a blank look. I am not really that technical truth be told.

Tbh, I don't think you are that dense.

Open source software = you may not only use it, you may also modify it and sell it or give it away

Proprietary software = you may use it if you have a license but you don't have access to the source code, and even if you did, you are not allowed to modify it, sell it or even give it to someone else

In essence, open source is about sharing your work. When people talk about open source, they are usually talking about computer software, but the basic concepts can apply equally to any type of intellectual property.

So let's say I write a book. Most books are not only copyrighted but also proprietary, meaning that even if you hate the ending, you are not allowed to rewrite it to your liking and publish your version. You're actually not even allowed to do it at home.

But if the book is open source (and there are quite a few such books out there--see Wikbooks for a couple of examples), you can do just that. You can rewrite it any way you like and then *sell* your version, and it's all going to be perfectly legal.

The usual catch is that, depending on the open source license, you will usually have to include your source code and the license used. With a book, that's a given, really, since the source code is the same as the book reaching the reader, but as most software is compiled into an executable binary package, open source software is a little different.

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 12:24:43 AM »
I hate Word and use Open Office for everything.  The whole idea of open source is very appealing to me as a tinkerer I wish I was more knowledgeable and skilled in computer stuff that I could use more such as Linux as I HATE windows 8 but am afraid of getting in over my head on things

If you have a spare computer or some extra space on the one with Windows, you can easily try out Linux. The easiest way is to not install anything and instead use a live distro, running the whole thing from a CD or DVD.

Link.

The above leads to a really rotten web page, but if you switch the language to English and download the disc image, you don't really have to read anything else. Just burn the disc image to a CD or DVD (depending on the size) and use it to boot up your computer.

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2014, 01:33:08 AM »
My ex used lots of open-source stuff, and put up things for free himself too.
He was liking a Swiss guy a lot, forgot his name.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2014, 07:00:43 AM »

If you have a spare computer or some extra space on the one with Windows, you can easily try out Linux. The easiest way is to not install anything and instead use a live distro, running the whole thing from a CD or DVD.

Link.

The above leads to a really rotten web page, but if you switch the language to English and download the disc image, you don't really have to read anything else. Just burn the disc image to a CD or DVD (depending on the size) and use it to boot up your computer.
I really do need to get on that.  Just waiting, right now (optimistically) for shit to stop being ungodly stressful, so I'll have more patience and be less likely to defenestrate my laptop.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2014, 06:40:20 PM »
defenestrate
Had to look that one up. Great word.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2014, 12:27:24 AM »

Link.

I really do need to get on that.  Just waiting, right now (optimistically) for shit to stop being ungodly stressful, so I'll have more patience and be less likely to defenestrate my laptop.

Just download the image, burn it on disc and boot up your laptop with it. That's all it takes. You can be nasty to your laptop later.

- Albert Einstein