Author Topic: Amanda Knox, a sickening example of media and cultural bias  (Read 1061 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Amanda Knox, a sickening example of media and cultural bias
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2014, 11:51:47 PM »
In other words, if you find a legal system of a country objectionable, you should not visit it? What if you aren't guilty, what if you didn't commit the crime but were convicted anyway? I don't know about you, but I sure as hell would like my country to act and help me.

Hell, let's just ignore everything that happens abroad, let's just let them do what they want and look the other way. Let's stop trading with them, let's just forget they exist.

Crimea situation solved, for one.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2014, 05:06:27 AM »
Hell, let's just ignore everything that happens abroad,
No, just hyper-focus on the US.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2014, 12:13:11 AM »

We already do. Where I live at least.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2014, 04:28:18 AM »
In other words, if you find a legal system of a country objectionable, you should not visit it? What if you aren't guilty, what if you didn't commit the crime but were convicted anyway? I don't know about you, but I sure as hell would like my country to act and help me.

Hell, let's just ignore everything that happens abroad, let's just let them do what they want and look the other way. Let's stop trading with them, let's just forget they exist.

Well, that is a position. Not my position by a position.
Consider two minor media celebrities. One from Australia and one from US. Shapelle Corby and Michal Fay.
They chose to do the wrong thing in the wrong country to do it and suddenly it is so sad and such a travesty. Shapelle carries in a bogeyboard cover crammed with marihuana in Indonesia. Michael Fay decided to graffiti the walls of Singapore.
They did the wrong thing and knew they were doing the wrong thing. Whatever vicarious thrill they got was short lived because they were caught. Everyone up in arms because the law in both instances was "harsh".
Michael ended up despite huge protests and such, in getting a heap of whippings with the rottan.
Shapelle ended up doing some serious jail time. She was let out on parole recently with a lot of very strict prohibitions, especially in respect to talking with the media and selling her story...guess what she did? Now she is facing more jail time and she cannot bear it and is so hard done by....
Enough already. Why is the respective country's media so interested and why are people making such a fuss over losers like this. It is not even really up for question whether they were guilty or not, but rather how unfair it is that they are not either punished as per the country's laws that they came from or sent back to their own country.
No, no, no. I will not have. Do the crime and do the time. Regardless of anything else, you do X in Y country, then THAT country gets to punish you, by the laws in their country relating to crime X.
I have no pity. I also believe that celebrities ought not be afforded more right, nor the rich. Do the crime and do the time. It is fair and equitable.
That leads on to the next question, what if they did not? Then they ought not do the time. How do you determine that? By the court system there, same as they would in their home country.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2014, 05:16:39 PM »

Yes. That's why I said it. It's weird.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2014, 03:36:20 AM »

Consider two minor media celebrities. One from Australia and one from US. Shapelle Corby and Michal Fay.
They chose to do the wrong thing in the wrong country to do it and suddenly it is so sad and such a travesty. Shapelle carries in a bogeyboard cover crammed with marihuana in Indonesia. Michael Fay decided to graffiti the walls of Singapore.
They did the wrong thing and knew they were doing the wrong thing. Whatever vicarious thrill they got was short lived because they were caught. Everyone up in arms because the law in both instances was "harsh".
Michael ended up despite huge protests and such, in getting a heap of whippings with the rottan.
Shapelle ended up doing some serious jail time. She was let out on parole recently with a lot of very strict prohibitions, especially in respect to talking with the media and selling her story...guess what she did? Now she is facing more jail time and she cannot bear it and is so hard done by....
Enough already. Why is the respective country's media so interested and why are people making such a fuss over losers like this. It is not even really up for question whether they were guilty or not, but rather how unfair it is that they are not either punished as per the country's laws that they came from or sent back to their own country.
No, no, no. I will not have. Do the crime and do the time. Regardless of anything else, you do X in Y country, then THAT country gets to punish you, by the laws in their country relating to crime X.
I have no pity. I also believe that celebrities ought not be afforded more right, nor the rich. Do the crime and do the time. It is fair and equitable.
That leads on to the next question, what if they did not? Then they ought not do the time. How do you determine that? By the court system there, same as they would in their home country.

I completely agree with you re "do the crime, do the time". According to that country's laws, too. Graffiti on the walls, marijuana, smuggling, murder, ... If you do the deed, be prepared to face the consequences and don't count on escaping because you are a foreigner.

But I don't necessarily agree with you as for the rest, because in reality, the court systems are sometimes lacking in the very basics needed for a fair trial. Italy, to discuss the matter at hand (not avoiding your Singapore/Indonesia examples but I don't know enough of either case or the court systems used to comment), has a system well known for its problems, yet the country is part of the western world and should be able to do better since people travel there all the time, for business, for holidays, for studying and more.

Amanda Knox may well be guilty but IMHO did not get a fair trial, and that's what I'm talking about here.

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2014, 03:37:16 AM »

It's very odd.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2014, 08:27:25 AM »

I completely agree with you re "do the crime, do the time". According to that country's laws, too. Graffiti on the walls, marijuana, smuggling, murder, ... If you do the deed, be prepared to face the consequences and don't count on escaping because you are a foreigner.

But I don't necessarily agree with you as for the rest, because in reality, the court systems are sometimes lacking in the very basics needed for a fair trial. Italy, to discuss the matter at hand (not avoiding your Singapore/Indonesia examples but I don't know enough of either case or the court systems used to comment), has a system well known for its problems, yet the country is part of the western world and should be able to do better since people travel there all the time, for business, for holidays, for studying and more.

Amanda Knox may well be guilty but IMHO did not get a fair trial, and that's what I'm talking about here

Agreed

As for a fair trial in Italy :lol1:  They   convicted and sentence to jail 7 scientists for not  adequately  predicting and warning people of an earthquake months in advance that does say something about their legal system.  Link

Anyone ever watch Locked Up Abroad?  It will defiantly give you a list of places you don't want to go or at least to be very careful in. Link
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2014, 03:34:51 PM »

It's very odd.
There's probably a good psychology term for that, but can't think of what it would be.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2014, 02:43:53 AM »
Anyone ever watch Locked Up Abroad?  It will defiantly give you a list of places you don't want to go or at least to be very careful in. Link

Yes, I have watched it on occasion. I wouldn't dream of visiting most of those countries.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2014, 05:47:56 AM »
Yes, I have watched it on occasion. I wouldn't dream of visiting most of those countries.

In other words, if you find a legal system of a country objectionable, you should not visit it?

Yes.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2014, 11:00:45 PM »

In other words, if you find a legal system of a country objectionable, you should not visit it?

Yes.

Not sure I understand why you choose to quote both of my posts, above.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2014, 04:56:44 PM »

Yes.

Seemed to be answering your own question. Jack agrees.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2014, 12:25:01 AM »

Yes.

Seemed to be answering your own question. Jack agrees.

It was something I asked Sir Les, really.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2014, 06:48:09 AM »

Amanda Knox may well be guilty but IMHO did not get a fair trial, and that's what I'm talking about here.

So who is the country that tries fairly? Who has the policemen that do not misuse their powers? Which law courts give no account to a person's social position and really are in the truest sense, fair?

I admit to a bit of cynic but if you say Italy is not fair, then at least their incompetence is transparent.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap