Educational

Author Topic: Ban backyard pools  (Read 1232 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Ban backyard pools
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2014, 11:56:42 PM »
I hate standardized tests -_-

When I was in I think second grade I got in trouble for making patterns filling in the circles rather than answers   :green:  Back then, 70s, they didn't have many of the tests and I hated them I can't imagine what it would be like now

Parts, I remember being given IQ tests in grammar and high school.  They said wrong answers didn't count so when I saw I had about 2 or so minutes left on the tests I simply filled in all the remaining bubbles.  Managed to get enough right to get me into Mensa years later.

By guessing? :-\
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2014, 11:57:26 PM »
Yep, because the test scores determine how much funding the school receives.

They need a class on common sense, since half the parents don't have it anymore.

Unfortunately most of the teachers aren't qualified to give them.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2014, 06:07:04 AM »

When I was in I think second grade I got in trouble for making patterns filling in the circles rather than answers   :green:  Back then, 70s, they didn't have many of the tests and I hated them I can't imagine what it would be like now

Parts, I remember being given IQ tests in grammar and high school.  They said wrong answers didn't count so when I saw I had about 2 or so minutes left on the tests I simply filled in all the remaining bubbles.  Managed to get enough right to get me into Mensa years later.

Welcome to America. :thumbup:
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2014, 08:29:38 AM »
Whenever I flew over Spain, going in for landing, I could always see a myriad of small, blue backyard pools growing into vision. THOUSANDS
I'd guess 70-80% of all suburban homes in Spain has that pool.

Not once did I see a kid floating dead in them. Not once!

How dare you present this argument? You made that up or something. I want to make the world safer, so shut the hell up and let me ban things.

Did you see Penn and Teller's episode about people being dangerous? Their point was obviously the opposite, that when you remove the tiny percentage of any population thats a murderer, violent, etc, you end up with a HUGE majority of decent people.
They showed an example of a mother who sent her 10 year old kid on the NY-metro, to school.

I thought about that, and as counter-intuitive as it seems - who in their right mind will mug or attack a 10 year old!? I mean - anything can happen, to anybody, statistically, but odds wise, you're probably MORE likely being mugged if you are an adult working man, than if you are a little kid with a backpack.
Imagine the loss of street cred, you show up to your homies, with a red and yellow backpack that you stole from a crying child :D

Exactly. That episode wasn't what I had in mind, but that's a perfect example of my point of view. I think this attitude is caused by several things. Bored people, ignorance, dependence on the state, and irrational fear. The general desire is a safer society, and that's a good thing. The product of this approach though? Meh, not so good.
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2014, 07:24:55 PM »

Her Majesty doesn't giver herself enough credit.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2014, 04:11:42 AM »

Agreed.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2014, 08:17:35 PM »
I scored really high on the IQ test in elementary school. Killed half of my brain cells in high school though.  :stoned:  :beer:

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2014, 09:28:24 PM »

Agreed.

Thanks, but no cigar.  I've got some gaping chasms in my thinking ability. 
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2014, 11:57:24 PM »
I scored really high on the IQ test in elementary school. Killed half of my brain cells in high school though.  :stoned:  :beer:

Did you have to leave Mensa? :zoinks:

- Albert Einstein

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2014, 05:19:20 AM »
Have seen many intellectually gifted autistics say similar. Thinking that's to be expected, considering the territory, and has nothing to do with credit deserved. High functioning autistics are often twice exceptional. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twice_exceptional

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2014, 07:43:38 AM »
Have seen many intellectually gifted autistics say similar. Thinking that's to be expected, considering the territory, and has nothing to do with credit deserved. High functioning autistics are often twice exceptional. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twice_exceptional

Detailed IQ profiles can show amazing things, bouncing from extreme highs to extreme lows on different aspects measured. One of my kids has a gap between verbal and performal of over 30 points, but within the performal, she has gaps over more than 70 points.

Such weird intelligence profiles are seen more with people on the spectrum than with average people, I got told.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2014, 08:46:36 AM »

Did you have to leave Mensa? :zoinks:

Never any mention of that. My parents DID get a phone call about it though...probably something like, "she actually has a brain, we found it" or "we think she may have cheated on an IQ test".

I hated school, I never studied, but always managed to pull off a passing grade on every test that half the class would bomb.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2014, 07:23:26 PM »

Detailed IQ profiles can show amazing things, bouncing from extreme highs to extreme lows on different aspects measured. One of my kids has a gap between verbal and performal of over 30 points, but within the performal, she has gaps over more than 70 points.

Such weird intelligence profiles are seen more with people on the spectrum than with average people, I got told.

Personally have the spelling ability of an adolescent. Thankfully work in abstract code and have no great need for the skill. :laugh:

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2014, 07:26:59 PM »

I hated school, I never studied, but always managed to pull off a passing grade on every test that half the class would bomb.
School wasn't my scene either. It also wasn't overly stressed as important in the home, only grades, so skipped a lot of class and scored a B.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #74 on: February 25, 2014, 12:09:47 AM »

That's what they told me, too. Apparently my IQ profile is by itself an indication of my spazziness.

- Albert Einstein