Educational

Author Topic: When the Right to Bear Arms Includes the Mentally Ill  (Read 1221 times)

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
When the Right to Bear Arms Includes the Mentally Ill
« on: January 10, 2014, 10:47:24 AM »
Quote from: Michael Luo and Mike McIntire, New York Times
Last April, workers at Middlesex Hospital in Connecticut called the police to report that a psychiatric patient named Mark Russo had threatened to shoot his mother if officers tried to take the 18 rifles and shotguns he kept at her house. Mr. Russo, who was off his medication for paranoid schizophrenia, also talked about the recent elementary school massacre in Newtown and told a nurse that he “could take a chair and kill you or bash your head in between the eyes,” court records show.

The police seized the firearms, as well as seven high-capacity magazines, but Mr. Russo, 55, was eventually allowed to return to the trailer in Middletown where he lives alone. In an interview there recently, he denied that he had schizophrenia but said he was taking his medication now — though only “the smallest dose,” because he is forced to. His hospitalization, he explained, stemmed from a misunderstanding: Seeking a message from God on whether to dissociate himself from his family, he had stabbed a basketball and waited for it to reinflate itself. When it did, he told relatives they would not be seeing him again, prompting them to call the police.

As for his guns, Mr. Russo is scheduled to get them back in the spring, as mandated by Connecticut law.

“I don’t think they ever should have been taken out of my house,” he said. “I plan to get all my guns and ammo and knives back in April.”

The Russo case highlights a central, unresolved issue in the debate over balancing public safety and the Second Amendment right to bear arms: just how powerless law enforcement can be when it comes to keeping firearms out of the hands of people who are mentally ill.

Connecticut’s law giving the police broad leeway to seize and hold guns for up to a year is actually relatively strict. Most states simply adhere to the federal standard, banning gun possession only after someone is involuntarily committed to a psychiatric facility or designated as mentally ill or incompetent after a court proceeding or other formal legal process. Relatively few with mental health issues, even serious ones, reach this point.

As a result, the police often find themselves grappling with legal ambiguities when they encounter mentally unstable people with guns, unsure how far they can go in searching for and seizing firearms and then, in particular, how they should respond when the owners want them back.

Source

There's more of the article; it's long. What do you think?
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: When the Right to Bear Arms Includes the Mentally Ill
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 01:24:29 PM »
And what "well regulated militia" does he belong to?
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 08:00:03 PM »
He just sounds like some shit talking little kid to me.
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 10:47:52 PM »
For some reason though people who have history of mental institution don't pass the background check to purchase firearms, so not sure why he would be given his guns back. Checked Wikipedia and that seems to be correct.

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 11:13:37 PM »
For some reason though people who have history of mental institution don't pass the background check to purchase firearms, so not sure why he would be given his guns back. Checked Wikipedia and that seems to be correct.

Read the rest of the article; it was too long to fully post. :P

After mental patients recover, their Second Amendment rights kick back in.

There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 11:17:08 PM »
People recover from schizophrenia?

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 11:38:48 PM »
People recover from schizophrenia?

Yes

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 01:39:30 AM »
When the rights of the one weigh more than the rights of the many. Karma is a bitch and will bite you in the ass, eventually.

/shrugs
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 09:13:18 AM »
Somebody who can't stay on their meds is not recovered from schizophrenia.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 09:18:55 AM »
When the rights of the one weigh more than the rights of the many. Karma is a bitch and will bite you in the ass, eventually.

/shrugs

:dunno:

That's the way the US system is set up. Link

Perhaps, but schizophrenics are not automatically dangerous, and it does them a disservice to deprive them of their Constitutional rights based on a stereotype.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 03:31:12 PM »
Psychiatric patients who threaten to shoot their mothers and bash nurses in the head with chairs should automatically be considered dangerous.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2014, 03:32:58 PM »
Someone who continues to display symptoms, and/or takes meds, isn't recovered.

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 05:01:36 PM »
It would be wrong to single out schizophrenics or anyone with a mental disorder.

In the case of Mr Russo, I don't think he should have his guns back. 
* Mainly because of his recent actions.  His conduct was so that his right to have a gun should be forfeited.

* I think he is potentially dangerous, and this is magnified due to his unwillingness to accept he has a disorder.  His comment about 'taking only the smallest amount of medication' is not very reassuring.   The article suggests the likelihood of him repeating this behaviour boils down to him taking meds or not.   Therefore suggesting it is quite likely to reoccur.

* The use of guns by citizens should be for legitimate reasons such as hunting.  I accept that 'self defence' is another logical reason.  I hope 'threatening' people is not a legitimate use. 

* Most people probably say stuff they don't mean when angered.  However,  threatening to shoot people, especially when the person making the threats has  an armoury of 18 or more firearms should be taken seriously. 

I am not going to pretend that I know anything about American laws, or your constitution.  I find it a bit confusing when laws seem to differ from state to state.   My POV is purely from an angle of 'would I like to live next door to Mr Russo when he gets his firearm stash returned?'  No way. 

blah blah blah

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2014, 05:45:17 PM »
It would be wrong to single out schizophrenics or anyone with a mental disorder.

Not really talking about singling out anyone or what's right or wrong. Talking about the laws which exist. It's a national standard that people with a history of being in a mental institution don't pass the background check to purchase guns. Of course, background checks don't stop anyone from acquiring guns, only those who purchase them from legitimate dealers. Not sure what state law mandates his guns be returned, but it seems like a loophole. Maybe he owned the guns before being institutionalized; maybe it's because he's not trying to purchase them from a legitimate dealer; don't know.

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2014, 06:07:19 PM »

In the case of Mr Russo, I don't think he should have his guns back. 
* Mainly because of his recent actions.  His conduct was so that his right to have a gun should be forfeited.

* I think he is potentially dangerous, and this is magnified due to his unwillingness to accept he has a disorder.  His comment about 'taking only the smallest amount of medication' is not very reassuring.   The article suggests the likelihood of him repeating this behaviour boils down to him taking meds or not.   Therefore suggesting it is quite likely to reoccur.

* The use of guns by citizens should be for legitimate reasons such as hunting.  I accept that 'self defence' is another logical reason.  I hope 'threatening' people is not a legitimate use. 

* Most people probably say stuff they don't mean when angered.  However,  threatening to shoot people, especially when the person making the threats has  an armoury of 18 or more firearms should be taken seriously. 

I am not going to pretend that I know anything about American laws, or your constitution.  I find it a bit confusing when laws seem to differ from state to state.   My POV is purely from an angle of 'would I like to live next door to Mr Russo when he gets his firearm stash returned?'  No way.

Rather than thinking about the US as being like Great Britain, think of it as like the EU, and every state is a nation (which is imprecise, I know). The federal government can only make laws about certain things, most of which involve multiple states (such as highways, currency, the military, etc.) Everything else is reserved for the state to make laws about (including many gun laws). The states have different histories, and the citizens of each state elect representatives differently, so a state dominated by gun violence might make stricter laws than a state where most adult citizens hunt for food. In any case, the right to bear arms is protected by the Constitution (a federal document), so all states must obey it, whether they want to or not.