Author Topic: Iowa FTW  (Read 18043 times)

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
Re: Iowa FTW
« Reply #585 on: September 29, 2013, 11:24:19 AM »
<insert suitable one-liner here>

You should make that a custom BB code. :zoinks:
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #586 on: September 29, 2013, 11:25:55 AM »
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #587 on: September 29, 2013, 12:07:03 PM »

Adam doesn't grasp the whole picture. I'm on disability now, but I have been out in the real world, so to speak, when I was younger. Adam lives in an illusion.

What makes you think I don't "grasp the whole picture"?

You can tell that from a few half-arsed posts on a thread on the internet? I don't fail to grasp what you're saying - I simply DISAGREE with you.

Also, how am I living in an illusion? You're the one who thinks we should all be living like 17th century farmers

And in all fairness... you don't really know much about my life.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #588 on: September 29, 2013, 12:12:16 PM »

And I still want to know how you know Adam to be less intelligent than you.

Adam is unable to see the whole picture.

Lol is that meant to be a response to odeon's question.

Seems a bit circular to me. Adam's too thick to get it? What makes you think that? Becuase he doesn't get the whole picture? Why doesn't he get the whole picture? Because he's too thick

Lit, I don't really care about the intelligence thing, as I'm pretty confident I'm not less intelligent than you are... but please explain how I'm not living in the real world (when you presumably are? :laugh: ) and what "bigger picture" I'm failing to get.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #589 on: September 29, 2013, 12:17:17 PM »
Exactly. Please tell me how criminals obey the law.

One law at a time?

::)

Criminals have guns that were smuggled in here. They were never licensed to start with. Even if you make all guns completely illegal, that won't change a thing for the criminals' access to them.

It's not just career criminals who kill, y'know.

And generally, those types are drug dealers and gang leaders. They mostly target OTHER criminals

Sure, the only people with guns in the UK are a few criminals. But the VICTIMS tend to be criminals too.

In the UK, you're only significantly at risk of gun violence if you're in a gang or hanging out with some seriously dodgy people.

If EVERYONE had a gun though, anyone would be at risk.

Gun violence here = gang members shooting each other up. Drug dealers etc.

Gun violence in the US = crimes of passion, kids accidentally shooting themselves, nutcases shooting up their schools, shopping malls, cinemas etc etc etc

Personally, between the two, I'd much rather go with the UK version. So saying "only criminals have guns" doesn't really change things for me.

TheoK

« Reply #590 on: September 29, 2013, 12:20:16 PM »

And I still want to know how you know Adam to be less intelligent than you.

Adam is unable to see the whole picture.

Lol is that meant to be a response to odeon's question.

Seems a bit circular to me. Adam's too thick to get it? What makes you think that? Becuase he doesn't get the whole picture? Why doesn't he get the whole picture? Because he's too thick

Lit, I don't really care about the intelligence thing, as I'm pretty confident I'm not less intelligent than you are... but please explain how I'm not living in the real world (when you presumably are? :laugh: ) and what "bigger picture" I'm failing to get.

If I put it this way: Rage has experience of the real world. You don't. Rage doesn't believe in the fraud about "democracy" etc. He knows that it is a fraud. You think that you might get a real change just by voting Labour. You can't.

TheoK

« Reply #591 on: September 29, 2013, 12:28:54 PM »
It's not just career criminals who kill, y'know.

And generally, those types are drug dealers and gang leaders. They mostly target OTHER criminals

Sure, the only people with guns in the UK are a few criminals. But the VICTIMS tend to be criminals too.

That's what they often say in Sweden too. The incredible thing is that you think that it is OK with criminals having illegal guns and just shooting at each other but not that law-abiding persons should be able to easily get and carry guns in self-defence. It's real "1984" logic: guns should be banned for law-abiding people but it's "OK" if criminals shoot at each other with illegal guns  :facepalm2:

In the UK, you're only significantly at risk of gun violence if you're in a gang or hanging out with some seriously dodgy people.

Same in Sweden. That doesn't mean that you can't get shot by mistake or become a victim of other crimes because you can't defend yourself.

If EVERYONE had a gun though, anyone would be at risk.

This is insane. You are saying that it is more dangerous with armed law-abiding citizens than with armed criminals only. 

Gun violence here = gang members shooting each other up. Drug dealers etc.

Gun violence in the US = crimes of passion, kids accidentally shooting themselves, nutcases shooting up their schools, shopping malls, cinemas etc etc etc

Freedom isn't for free. But then we should outlaw alcohol, tobacco, cars etc too, but you have a hangup on guns, because you are passive-aggressive.

But most gun owners never kill or hurt anyone.

Personally, between the two, I'd much rather go with the UK version. So saying "only criminals have guns" doesn't really change things for me.

No, you consider it morally right with armed criminals but not with armed law-abiding people  :facepalm2:

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #592 on: September 29, 2013, 12:30:00 PM »
All youre doing is repeating yourself again.

1. HOW do you know i don't hav experience of the real world? Simply because I haven't come to the same conclusions that you hvae?

2. Actually no, I don't think that "just voting Labour" will bring real change to the world. Of course it takes more than that.

Tell me, what are YOU doing to bring about change? Fuck all, by the sound of it

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #593 on: September 29, 2013, 12:32:01 PM »
No, I don't think it's "ok" that criminals have guns. Not much more we can do about it though, is there. I said I wouldn't want EVERYONE ELSE to have guns too

And while we're on the subject of criminals. Criminals do a lot of things we would rather people didn't do. That's why they're criminals.

I wouldnt want everyone else raping and stealing either.

TheoK

« Reply #594 on: September 29, 2013, 12:37:11 PM »

1. HOW do you know i don't hav experience of the real world? Simply because I haven't come to the same conclusions that you hvae?

If you don't come to similar conclusions as Rage and me you must lack real life experience, yes.

2. Actually no, I don't think that "just voting Labour" will bring real change to the world. Of course it takes more than that.

I don't know what to do, since the majority is a bunch of brain-washed idiots and sheeps. I'm very glad that I don't contribute to this sick "society", though.

TheoK

« Reply #595 on: September 29, 2013, 12:39:58 PM »
No, I don't think it's "ok" that criminals have guns. Not much more we can do about it though, is there. I said I wouldn't want EVERYONE ELSE to have guns too

On the contrary. The solution is to arm every law-abiding person so they can defend themselves.

And while we're on the subject of criminals. Criminals do a lot of things we would rather people didn't do. That's why they're criminals.

I wouldnt want everyone else raping and stealing either.

Wishful thinking doesn't help. But a dead rapist or robber won't commit another crime.

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
« Reply #596 on: September 29, 2013, 12:48:19 PM »

If you don't come to similar conclusions as Rage and me you must lack real life experience, yes.

I don't know what to do, since the majority is a bunch of brain-washed idiots and sheeps. I'm very glad that I don't contribute to this sick "society", though.

I agree with you on the basics of gun control, and I think that this is a logical fallacy. Perhaps Adam has examined the available evidence and come to a different conclusion. I think he's wrong, and perhaps he is willfully blind to the idea of an armed revolt being a valid reason to own guns. I don't see how Adam's experience is relevant.

Adam, I know that we've covered this elsewhere, but do you have experience with guns?
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #597 on: September 29, 2013, 01:06:12 PM »

LOL

I'm not sure how to respond to that other than... what?

Do you ever sit down for a minute and wonder, "why is it that almost everyone except me (Lit) is a brainless sheep?"

What's more likely? That YOU are the only one who "get it" or that you are just deluded yourself

TheoK

« Reply #598 on: September 29, 2013, 01:08:55 PM »

What's more likely? That YOU are the only one who "get it" or that you are just deluded yourself

Here we have it again. Argumentum ad populum. Like the majority knew anything.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #599 on: September 29, 2013, 01:09:22 PM »
I agree with you on the basics of gun control, and I think that this is a logical fallacy. Perhaps Adam has examined the available evidence and come to a different conclusion. I think he's wrong, and perhaps he is willfully blind to the idea of an armed revolt being a valid reason to own guns. I don't see how Adam's experience is relevant.

:agreed:

I don't assume everyone who disagrees with me on something is simply too deluded, thick or brainwashed to "get it"

Adam, I know that we've covered this elsewhere, but do you have experience with guns?

Do you mean as in going shooting or something?
I've never even held a loaded gun myself.
I'd quite like to though.
I actually like guns. I have some little model guns and read a lot of military history.
I just don't want my neighbours having them.

But yeah, I have never fired a gun before.