Author Topic: Iowa FTW  (Read 17937 times)

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Iowa FTW
« Reply #735 on: October 04, 2013, 01:21:45 PM »
We are all born equal, man.

Prove it.

Because we can all think. BURRRNNNN
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #736 on: October 04, 2013, 01:22:52 PM »
Universal rights aren't the only kind of rights.

Yes, they are. This is what both you and odeon fail to understand. This is pure logic. The world above quantum level works according to binary logic. It is either 0 or 1, just like a computer. There are either universal rights or no rights at all. It can't be both and it can't be anything else.

Who the hell is saying there are no universal rights?
There you go again putting words in our moths.

You are obviously saying it, since you believe in legislation. If you believe in positive gun laws you don't believe in universal rights. The paradox is that your legislation is just instrumental then and has nothing to do with justice or moral.

*I* am saying that there are no universal rights. There are no universal obligations either, for that matter.

Your comment re the world above quantum level is quite bizarre, btw.

Yes, there are universal rights. Doesn't everyone have a right to not be enslaved? Doesn't everyone have a right to life? If not, who doesn't have these rights?

Do you believe that all people are created equal? If so, then why does this not lead to the premise that all people have certain rights by virtue of being people?

No, and no.

They probably should be, at least in the world we live in, but there are plenty of places where none of it is true, which means none of your "rights" is "universal".

You are confusing what you want with what actually is.

Note that I'm not arguing against the concept, just its current applicability. It also amuses me to think that someone would somehow put "carrying a firearm" next to "born equal". I know the former is thought to be a prerequisite for the other in the US, but that's not how the whole world sees it, thus immediately nullifying the "universal" part.

Here's how I see it. People have certain rights just by virtue of being born. This doesn't depend on legislation of the whims of the local government; these rights exist regardless of them. All people are created equal; therefore, all are born with certain rights. These include the right to life and the right to liberty.

If you don't believe this, consider the case where there exists some person who doesn't have these rights. Let's say that there's no legislation to enforce the right to life. Is it then acceptable for me to murder that person? Under your system, it must be. If rights extend from legislation, and there is no legislation to protect the right to life, then why not accept murder? I say that murder is wrong, regardless of who the victim is and what local legislation says about the subject.

As far as "universal" goes, this system also doesn't change depending on anyone's opinion. You have certain rights, even if you don't acknowledge them. Among these are the right to bear arms, to protect yourself and to provide for your family. Here's a question for you. Why is "rights" in quotes? Do you not acknowledge that everyone on the planet has a right to life? Do you think that some people somewhere deserve to be enslaved? If so, who are these people?

As to whether I'm confusing what I want with what is, I could ask you the same question in regards to my position. Your last paragraph seems to point out, in your mind, the bizarre nature of the right to bear arms. As far as rights go, the fact that all people are born equal is fundamental to the right to bear arms, not the other way around. I suspect that you already know this. You've chosen to set up a straw man to point out what you see as an absurdity, instead of presenting a rational argument. I don't support the Second Amendment because of tradition, or out of religious adherence to the Constitution. I support the Second Amendment because I have examined the issue and I have concluded that legalized gun ownership is essential for the preservation of liberty. If you choose to believe something different, fine. However, it's possible for a completely rational culture to choose gun ownership.

Yes, I know that America isn't that completely rational culture. :hahaha:

Prove the "universal" bit to me.

You may think that it stands to reason that people are born equal, and it is a nice, idealistic concept, wonderfully, blissfully moral in its utter naivety.
̈́
Hell, you may even postulate such a thing, and it's a perfectly acceptable viewpoint when arguing philosophy, but it's a far stretch from an absolute, universally proven "right". It speaks to your sense of justice and fairness, but seriously, mate, since when was the universe fair and just, or even relevant to our little planet in the grand scheme of things?

It always amazes me to see how people may reject the notion of a supreme being while confidently quoting "universal" rights. The fact is that the universe is neither just nor fair. It's indifferent and an insignificant collection of microbes won't magically acquire special rights in it because there are no special rights to be had.

OK, you don't believe in rights. Why are you demanding legislation about guns - and other things - then? Rights don't exist. Just accept that everything is as it is, then. But you don't.

The "universal" rights you are speaking of and legislation are two very different things. I guess you just can't see the difference.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

TheoK

« Reply #737 on: October 04, 2013, 01:24:26 PM »

Yes, they are. This is what both you and odeon fail to understand. This is pure logic. The world above quantum level works according to binary logic. It is either 0 or 1, just like a computer. There are either universal rights or no rights at all. It can't be both and it can't be anything else.

You are obviously saying it, since you believe in legislation. If you believe in positive gun laws you don't believe in universal rights. The paradox is that your legislation is just instrumental then and has nothing to do with justice or moral.

Exactly. People don't seem to understand that their beliefs have absolutely no effect on the physical world. Reality is reality. Our governments no longer serve us, so we are in danger. End of story.

I wish you'd understand this.

I wish that everyone would understand it. Although the likeliness for that it would happen at all isn't great you are helpless against an armed burglar without a gun. And if you happen to have a gun and defend yourself successfully with it, the court might send you to prison for it, even if the gun is perfectly legal, because the cunts in court don't care about the fact that you were attacked to begin with.

That is a fact that you really can't argue against at all. You can't legally defend yourself with a gun in Sweden outside your own property, and even in your own bedroom you can't be sure that you might defend yourself and not be punished for it, because your right to defend yourself ("right" according to the law that is) isn't guaranteed even in your own home. In some peculiar way the Swedish legislators think that a criminal's life should be as sacred as yours, even when he attacks you in your own bedroom in the middle of the night. And it is ridiculously hard to legally get a gun to start with, except a rifle.

Is this the way you think it should be?

You keep presenting your opinions and beliefs as if they were facts. This is going nowhere.

Except for the last sentence that is not an opinion but a fact. That is how the Swedish gun law and law about self-defence function in practice, which you are very well aware of. The Rödeby case was exceptional in the respect that a victim who defended himself and killed one aggressor and hurt another very seriously actually didn't go to jail. Usually he would have done that.

In Texas or Colorado he wouldn't even have been prosecuted. That is also a fact.

The last sentence in your post is "Is this the way you think it should be?"

Erm. A fact?

The two last sentences, then, but you know that it is like this. It is almost impossible to legally protect yourself against criminals in Sweden. Why are you pretending that it isn't?

I'm not. I'm disagreeing with you. Very different, but I don't think it's something you will grasp any time soon.

OK. Say that a stalker were after you. You considered him dangerous. In America you go and buy a gun, so you can defend yourself. In Sweden you do what?

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #738 on: October 04, 2013, 01:25:01 PM »
Logically something must either exist or not exist. Either rights exist and are universal/natural or they don't.

Another logical fallacy.

No. Rights can't both exist and not exist, just like there can and can't be a moon at the same time.

It's funny how you are constantly contradicting yourself. "Rights" and "universal rights" are two different things. "No rights" is a third, btw, and immediately crashes your little binary theory.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #739 on: October 04, 2013, 01:25:32 PM »

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #740 on: October 04, 2013, 01:27:05 PM »

Exactly. People don't seem to understand that their beliefs have absolutely no effect on the physical world. Reality is reality. Our governments no longer serve us, so we are in danger. End of story.

I wish that everyone would understand it. Although the likeliness for that it would happen at all isn't great you are helpless against an armed burglar without a gun. And if you happen to have a gun and defend yourself successfully with it, the court might send you to prison for it, even if the gun is perfectly legal, because the cunts in court don't care about the fact that you were attacked to begin with.

That is a fact that you really can't argue against at all. You can't legally defend yourself with a gun in Sweden outside your own property, and even in your own bedroom you can't be sure that you might defend yourself and not be punished for it, because your right to defend yourself ("right" according to the law that is) isn't guaranteed even in your own home. In some peculiar way the Swedish legislators think that a criminal's life should be as sacred as yours, even when he attacks you in your own bedroom in the middle of the night. And it is ridiculously hard to legally get a gun to start with, except a rifle.

You keep presenting your opinions and beliefs as if they were facts. This is going nowhere.

Except for the last sentence that is not an opinion but a fact. That is how the Swedish gun law and law about self-defence function in practice, which you are very well aware of. The Rödeby case was exceptional in the respect that a victim who defended himself and killed one aggressor and hurt another very seriously actually didn't go to jail. Usually he would have done that.

In Texas or Colorado he wouldn't even have been prosecuted. That is also a fact.

Erm. A fact?

The two last sentences, then, but you know that it is like this. It is almost impossible to legally protect yourself against criminals in Sweden. Why are you pretending that it isn't?

I'm not. I'm disagreeing with you. Very different, but I don't think it's something you will grasp any time soon.

OK. Say that a stalker were after you. You considered him dangerous. In America you go and buy a gun, so you can defend yourself. In Sweden you do what?

I love it how you change, or rather *miss*, the subject.

- Albert Einstein

TheoK

« Reply #741 on: October 04, 2013, 01:27:45 PM »

*I* am saying that there are no universal rights. There are no universal obligations either, for that matter.

Yes, there are universal rights. Doesn't everyone have a right to not be enslaved? Doesn't everyone have a right to life? If not, who doesn't have these rights?

Do you believe that all people are created equal? If so, then why does this not lead to the premise that all people have certain rights by virtue of being people?

No, and no.

They probably should be, at least in the world we live in, but there are plenty of places where none of it is true, which means none of your "rights" is "universal".

Note that I'm not arguing against the concept, just its current applicability. It also amuses me to think that someone would somehow put "carrying a firearm" next to "born equal". I know the former is thought to be a prerequisite for the other in the US, but that's not how the whole world sees it, thus immediately nullifying the "universal" part.

Here's how I see it. People have certain rights just by virtue of being born. This doesn't depend on legislation of the whims of the local government; these rights exist regardless of them. All people are created equal; therefore, all are born with certain rights. These include the right to life and the right to liberty.

If you don't believe this, consider the case where there exists some person who doesn't have these rights. Let's say that there's no legislation to enforce the right to life. Is it then acceptable for me to murder that person? Under your system, it must be. If rights extend from legislation, and there is no legislation to protect the right to life, then why not accept murder? I say that murder is wrong, regardless of who the victim is and what local legislation says about the subject.

As far as "universal" goes, this system also doesn't change depending on anyone's opinion. You have certain rights, even if you don't acknowledge them. Among these are the right to bear arms, to protect yourself and to provide for your family. Here's a question for you. Why is "rights" in quotes? Do you not acknowledge that everyone on the planet has a right to life? Do you think that some people somewhere deserve to be enslaved? If so, who are these people?

As to whether I'm confusing what I want with what is, I could ask you the same question in regards to my position. Your last paragraph seems to point out, in your mind, the bizarre nature of the right to bear arms. As far as rights go, the fact that all people are born equal is fundamental to the right to bear arms, not the other way around. I suspect that you already know this. You've chosen to set up a straw man to point out what you see as an absurdity, instead of presenting a rational argument. I don't support the Second Amendment because of tradition, or out of religious adherence to the Constitution. I support the Second Amendment because I have examined the issue and I have concluded that legalized gun ownership is essential for the preservation of liberty. If you choose to believe something different, fine. However, it's possible for a completely rational culture to choose gun ownership.

You may think that it stands to reason that people are born equal, and it is a nice, idealistic concept, wonderfully, blissfully moral in its utter naivety.
̈́
Hell, you may even postulate such a thing, and it's a perfectly acceptable viewpoint when arguing philosophy, but it's a far stretch from an absolute, universally proven "right". It speaks to your sense of justice and fairness, but seriously, mate, since when was the universe fair and just, or even relevant to our little planet in the grand scheme of things?

It always amazes me to see how people may reject the notion of a supreme being while confidently quoting "universal" rights. The fact is that the universe is neither just nor fair. It's indifferent and an insignificant collection of microbes won't magically acquire special rights in it because there are no special rights to be had.

OK, you don't believe in rights. Why are you demanding legislation about guns - and other things - then? Rights don't exist. Just accept that everything is as it is, then. But you don't.

The "universal" rights you are speaking of and legislation are two very different things. I guess you just can't see the difference.

Yes, they are very different. Legislation was made up by someone completely arbitrary and for his own sake. It has nothing to do with rights or justice.

You fail to see that if you don't believe in rights, it would be suitable not to claim any, as you are speaking against yourself when claiming something that you are saying is non-existent.

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #742 on: October 04, 2013, 01:29:04 PM »

No, and no.

̈́

Yeah. The rights of the people trump government's rights to pass legislation. In fact my own government is required by the constitution they swear to obey when taking office to obey it, only changing it or amending it with the express consent of the citizenry. No lie. Even the president is required by law to apply for an amendment or change to the constitution and his "application" is to be reviewed by the house and senate, put to vote by the people, and sent back. If it makes it through ALL THAT, then it can be amended ONLY IN THE WAY THE APPLICATION STATED.

Our president has not been doing that. Our past few presidents haven't, in fact. How about yours? Is your president being a shit?
I will never stop...

TheoK

« Reply #743 on: October 04, 2013, 01:29:21 PM »

Erm. A fact?

I love it how you change, or rather *miss*, the subject.

Didn't you just say that I am wrong when I say that it's almost impossible to legally defend yourself in Sweden?

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #744 on: October 04, 2013, 01:30:19 PM »
This is fun but also a bit boring because it doesn't actually go anywhere. It's a bit like stealing candy from a baby because it's so bloody easy but nevertheless leaves you feeling a bit guilty.

- Albert Einstein

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
I will never stop...

TheoK

« Reply #746 on: October 04, 2013, 01:32:14 PM »
Logically something must either exist or not exist. Either rights exist and are universal/natural or they don't.

Another logical fallacy.

No. Rights can't both exist and not exist, just like there can and can't be a moon at the same time.

It's funny how you are constantly contradicting yourself. "Rights" and "universal rights" are two different things. "No rights" is a third, btw, and immediately crashes your little binary theory.

This is just semantics. We can call it just "rights". They either exist or they don't, just like a house, a planet, an apple or anything.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #747 on: October 04, 2013, 01:35:03 PM »

No, and no.

̈́

Yes, they are very different. Legislation was made up by someone completely arbitrary and for his own sake. It has nothing to do with rights or justice.

You fail to see that if you don't believe in rights, it would be suitable not to claim any, as you are speaking against yourself when claiming something that you are saying is non-existent.

I don't believe in universal rights. I don't believe that universal rights are the same as rights, sans the universal part. I don't believe that the universe magically grants us *any* rights.

If you acknowledge that rights and legislations are two different things, why do you post things like

- Albert Einstein

TheoK

« Reply #748 on: October 04, 2013, 01:36:32 PM »
This is fun but also a bit boring because it doesn't actually go anywhere. It's a bit like stealing candy from a baby because it's so bloody easy but nevertheless leaves you feeling a bit guilty.

I don't see the fun at all. How can it be a triumph that you are unable to defend yourself from both "ordinary" criminals as well as the state?

And you are not winning any debate either. You do as you always do when it comes to something that you are obsessed with: claiming that you are right and your opponents are wrong (for some reason you can never prove this but must always belittle your opponents by twisting words, inserting smilies etc).

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #749 on: October 04, 2013, 01:37:03 PM »

- Albert Einstein