Educational

Author Topic: Iowa FTW  (Read 18107 times)

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Iowa FTW
« Reply #690 on: October 03, 2013, 12:50:56 PM »
Adam isn't a philosopher  :M

Neither are you. :hahaha:

I am, at least to the degree that I know what I am talking about here. I have studied philosophy at the university.

Did you complete a degree in it (serious question)? I have a friend who did.

No, I didn't, but I understand the basic logical facts. That's what's important. Many people who have never studied philosophy at all don't understand certain things because they are still in "everyday thinking".

Lol, so you use "I studied philosophy" at university as your reason for claiming youre a philosopher, but it turns out you didn't even complete a degree in it?

I'm just as much a philosopher as you then.

Should have known you were talking shit anyway. Generally, when someone refers to themselves as "a philosopher," they ARE talking bullshit

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #691 on: October 03, 2013, 12:55:43 PM »
I disagree with odeon about universal rights.

I don't think the right to guns is one of them though.

Universal rights imo are things like freedom of belief, freedom from slavery

Funny how different we are. People over here are more likely to see free health care as a right. And in fact, I do

You won't have those two freedoms though, unless you have weapons to kill tyrants who will try and take them from you. Including but not limited to guns. I'm sorry. I know its not a very feel good thing to admit or accept, but I don't see any way around it. I think that's just reality.
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

TheoK

« Reply #692 on: October 03, 2013, 01:01:38 PM »

Funny how different we are. People over here are more likely to see free health care as a right. And in fact, I do

Wrong again. The universal rights can't be limited by anything else than other people's rights. Owning a gun doesn't infringe on someone elses rights. Free health care does, however, unless everyone actively gave their consent to such a system.

TheoK

« Reply #693 on: October 03, 2013, 01:02:24 PM »
Adam isn't a philosopher  :M

Neither are you. :hahaha:

I am, at least to the degree that I know what I am talking about here. I have studied philosophy at the university.

Did you complete a degree in it (serious question)? I have a friend who did.

No, I didn't, but I understand the basic logical facts. That's what's important. Many people who have never studied philosophy at all don't understand certain things because they are still in "everyday thinking".

Lol, so you use "I studied philosophy" at university as your reason for claiming youre a philosopher, but it turns out you didn't even complete a degree in it?

I'm just as much a philosopher as you then.

Should have known you were talking shit anyway. Generally, when someone refers to themselves as "a philosopher," they ARE talking bullshit

You're actually not necessarily a philosopher for having a degree in it, but often you need some philosophy education to get rid of your "everyday thinking".

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #694 on: October 03, 2013, 01:05:55 PM »

You won't have those two freedoms though, unless you have weapons to kill tyrants who will try and take them from you. Including but not limited to guns. I'm sorry. I know its not a very feel good thing to admit or accept, but I don't see any way around it. I think that's just reality.

It's not about feel-good whatever.

I disagree with you, but not for that reason.

And we do have those rights. I still do not see how us having guns is the only way of ensuring we keep them. What's better about the US?

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #695 on: October 03, 2013, 01:06:57 PM »

And we do have those rights. I still do not see how us having guns is the only way of ensuring we keep them. What's better about the US?

Would you say you live in a free country? Also, how much do you love your family?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 01:12:19 PM by RageBeoulve »
I will never stop...

TheoK

« Reply #696 on: October 03, 2013, 01:08:50 PM »

How would you start a guerilla war against the British government?

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #697 on: October 03, 2013, 01:12:09 PM »
::) ^

Rage - pretty much, yeah. There are things we need to fight (ie internet laws), but compared to most parts of the world, yeah. And definitely just as free as you guys are.

I'm not saying it's perfect, far from it. And like I said - there are laws I don't like. Having guns wouldn't change that though, and isn't the best way to fight it.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #698 on: October 03, 2013, 01:12:37 PM »
btw what's going on with this latest shooting in Washington? Anyone know what that's about?

TheoK

« Reply #699 on: October 03, 2013, 01:14:48 PM »
Read the texts from Spooner that I posted earlier instead.

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #700 on: October 03, 2013, 01:18:30 PM »
::) ^

Rage - pretty much, yeah. There are things we need to fight (ie internet laws), but compared to most parts of the world, yeah. And definitely just as free as you guys are.

I'm not saying it's perfect, far from it. And like I said - there are laws I don't like. Having guns wouldn't change that though, and isn't the best way to fight it.

Ok. And would you say that your government works for the citizen, or another interest?
I will never stop...

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
« Reply #701 on: October 03, 2013, 04:16:35 PM »

I know we've discussed this before, but it's not "free".

btw what's going on with this latest shooting in Washington? Anyone know what that's about?

I hear different stories; you can read the same news. Some people here that I've heard from are actively disappointed that no legislators were shot. :laugh: :hahaha:

Better? The US system of government better represents the will of Americans than the British system would. Does that count as "better"?

One problem with your system is that you have to rely on the government to protect you from small problems (like crime) as well as big problems (like invasion). What would you do if the police aren't there when you need them? Or what if the government decided to institute tyrannical measures?

Ultimately, the question is what you would do if the government didn't do what it's supposed to do.
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

TheoK

« Reply #702 on: October 03, 2013, 04:19:39 PM »
Now, Adam and odeon, be good boys and read Spooner and understand him. Then you too will be enlightened anarchists  :M

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #703 on: October 03, 2013, 05:31:44 PM »

Same as all the others. A guy lost his mind, went to a gun free zone, and shot as many people as he could. Apparently he left a note talking about being able to hear secret messages via "low frequency radio waves".

Interesting part, piers morgan and many mainstream media companies reported the killings were done with an AR15, and ASSAULT RIFLE was spammed and spammed for about a week. Suddenly they looked like fucking fools when word got out it was actually a turkey hunting gun. Remington 870 shotgun. I have one of those myself, actually. Its a sport gun.

I personally think that some questions about that haven't been answered. Most prominent being: Even with light security, how could a guy just waltz on to a historic military post with a large shotgun and thirty shotgun shells? Why did it take so long for law enforcement to respond, resulting in 12 people killed? Why did they receive an order to stand down?

And what about that part that was briefly mentioned early on about him possibly having an accomplice? They even described the guy who they thought was helping him! This was only briefly mentioned, then it disappeared. :orly:
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 05:35:55 PM by RageBeoulve »
I will never stop...

TheoK

« Reply #704 on: October 03, 2013, 05:34:45 PM »
Breivik killed 70 people with just a pistol and a hunting rifle. They were unarmed, of course.