Educational

Author Topic: What is the Weather like where You Live?  (Read 167863 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: What is the Weather like where You Live?
« Reply #2055 on: March 10, 2008, 08:00:40 AM »
We have the latter kind.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2056 on: March 10, 2008, 09:01:22 AM »
Adelaide, South Australia...

It's been 40 degrees Celsius for a about 3 days and it's going to be the same for the next week.

I really, really miss the rain.

What sort of rain do you miss?  Brief summer showers that cool and clean the air and which are followed by breezy sunshine and a pleasant smell, or freezing drizzle that drifts down from a uniformly grey and gloomy sky, travelling diagonally on gusts of cold wind and which lasts all day, and the next day, and the day after that?

is that a smirr?

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #2057 on: March 10, 2008, 09:17:12 AM »
Adelaide, South Australia...

It's been 40 degrees Celsius for a about 3 days and it's going to be the same for the next week.

I really, really miss the rain.

What sort of rain do you miss?  Brief summer showers that cool and clean the air and which are followed by breezy sunshine and a pleasant smell, or freezing drizzle that drifts down from a uniformly grey and gloomy sky, travelling diagonally on gusts of cold wind and which lasts all day, and the next day, and the day after that?

is that a smirr?

I've not heard anyone use 'smirr' around here, but my mum would call this 'dreich'.  I just call it drizzle, and then add expletives until I feel that I've achieved a sufficient characterisation.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #2058 on: March 10, 2008, 09:22:54 AM »
How to discuss the weather in Scotland:

Scots, like the rest of the UK, talk a lot about the weather. This hardly surprising - as the hoary old joke so accurately says "If you don't like the weather in Scotland, wait half an hour and it will change". On a "dreich" (wet, dismal) day there may not be a blink of sun and on others it may be "mochie" (warm and damp) and on still others a "simmer cowt" (a heat haze). Of course rain is often a feature ranging from a thunder "plump" (down-pour of rain) making everyone "drookit" (drenched) and producing lots of "dubs" (puddles) and will go into a "burn" (small stream or brook). There may be a more gentle "smirr" (light rain) or there may be an East Coast "haar" (mist from the sea). In winter time, when there are "wreaths" (drifts of snow) and the "snell" (bitingly cold) wind makes everone "fair jeelit" (cold as ice) at least the children can enjoy skiting (sliding) on the ice in a "hunker-slide" (sliding in a crouched position).

It is not always "rainin' auld wives and pipe staples" (heavy rain) or a "pish-oot" (a down-pour) with a "sump" (a great fall of rain). Then again there can be a "thunder-plump" (sudden thunder shower) or a "gandiegow" (heavy shower). Of course, sometimes the weather is just "plowtery" (showery) with a "smirr" (very light rain) or a "dreep" (steady fall of light rain) or a "dribble" (drizzle). Along with the rain it can be "attery" (stormy) with a "blenter" or "flaff" (gusty wind) . The "tousle" (blustery) wind can often feel "snell" (biting). All this wind and rain can produce a "linn" (a torrent or waterfall) and can make us all "droukit" (drenched) and "draggled" (bedraggled) and feel "dowie" (dismal) as we trudge through the "glaur" (mud/mire) or a "sclutter" or "slaister" (messy wetness). The rain may create a "stank" (small stagnant water) while in Glasgow the "stank" is the storm drain in the street. In Perth, the storm drain is called a "condie" (derived, it is said, from the French "conduire"). Then again it may just be "grulie" (unsettled) or even "leesome" (fine) with a "pirl" (gentle breeze). And after the next "plype" (sudden heavy shower) there may even be a "watergow" (a fragmentary rainbow!).

Not that I'd understand you if you used all those words; a lot of them I've never heard anyone speak.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2059 on: March 10, 2008, 11:22:15 AM »
at least i was in the right area, sort of thing.  yay me!  :laugh:

i read a lot of ian rankin, you know.  ;)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #2060 on: March 10, 2008, 03:52:36 PM »

Warming!

Well above freezing. It's almost mud season.

:D
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

duncvis

« Reply #2061 on: March 10, 2008, 06:18:48 PM »
damp, breezy, 4C/39F

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2062 on: March 11, 2008, 01:54:52 AM »
+5C or thereabouts. Cloudy.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

duncvis

« Reply #2063 on: March 11, 2008, 04:06:59 AM »
Sun keeps peeping out. windy. 5C/41F

Offline Dexter Morgan

• Karma Policeman of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #2064 on: March 13, 2008, 12:12:48 PM »
sunny 73f/22c

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2065 on: March 13, 2008, 02:32:50 PM »
Rainy. As usual.

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2066 on: March 13, 2008, 02:35:39 PM »

Warmest day we have had since before the end of November. It actually reached sixty degrees, today.

There is still a bunch of ice around, but it's going, fast!
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #2067 on: March 13, 2008, 03:45:53 PM »
Fucking horrible.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2068 on: March 14, 2008, 06:39:16 PM »
Yesterday was OK, but today was the first dday i've beeen out in shorrt sleeeves since October.

It's stilll in the fifties out there and the sun has gone dowwn.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #2069 on: March 14, 2008, 08:42:58 PM »
Nice and springlike  :green:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw