Educational

Author Topic: What is the Weather like where You Live?  (Read 167780 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: What is the Weather like where You Live?
« Reply #1140 on: September 16, 2007, 08:51:21 AM »
two hundred dollar per month cooling bills

:o

Yes, well, when my menopausal wife is home, she runs the air conditioner, set on Freeze-Yo-Ass. We need to do this!

Check you insulation it can help a lot

Thanks.
This house was built in 1990. It's still in good shape, except for one window we should replace. The main problem is that she sets the thermostat on sixty five degrees, when it's over ninety outside. Another thing about this year is that we had more over-ninety degree days than any other year, since the nineteen thirties. It's been a very hot summer.

A couple of years ago, I was bitching because it never even reached ninety degrees one time. I'm a southern boy and I make dumb jokes like - "Summer this year was on a Thursday and I missed it because I had to work!" ::)
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1141 on: September 16, 2007, 08:56:17 AM »

WTF?
It's level.

We put a carpet pad a little smaller than the pool under my daughter's kiddie pool to protect her from the hard concrete when we set up her kiddie pool on a concrete pad in the back yard, reasoning that it would never get wet under there if it never leaked.  Even though the pool never leaked, the carpet pad still got wet.  It wasn't pretty at the end of the summer and we threw the whole mess in the trash.

Of course. I was joking about the pool in the house. A container of water will always be wet underneath, when exposed to temperature changes, because of condensation. Even a fraction of a degree difference between the water temperature and that of the surrounding air will cause condensation.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1142 on: September 16, 2007, 09:00:17 AM »
Not nippy, but near seventy and breezy. Haven't run the A/C in more than a week. Thank god the two hundred dollar per month cooling bills are over and we can keep the house open.

That sounds like my heating bills in the winter.

We get those, too. Fortunately, we haven't had a winter with extended periods of sub-zero temperatures, lately. It hits ten or twelve below, but it comes back up to single digits in a few days. Not too bad, really.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #1143 on: September 16, 2007, 09:32:17 AM »
Only thinking insulation because that is one of my specialties and there are tax rebates on it now but if it was built in 1990 you should be fine. A programmable thermostat would be another idea.  A lot of the work I do has to do with energy conservation.   
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1144 on: September 16, 2007, 10:17:19 AM »

WTF?
It's level.

We put a carpet pad a little smaller than the pool under my daughter's kiddie pool to protect her from the hard concrete when we set up her kiddie pool on a concrete pad in the back yard, reasoning that it would never get wet under there if it never leaked.  Even though the pool never leaked, the carpet pad still got wet.  It wasn't pretty at the end of the summer and we threw the whole mess in the trash.

Of course. I was joking about the pool in the house. A container of water will always be wet underneath, when exposed to temperature changes, because of condensation. Even a fraction of a degree difference between the water temperature and that of the surrounding air will cause condensation.

Condensation did not occur to me before we did it, because we live in a semi-desert where water does not usually condense on the outsides of glasses and I figured that moist air would not get under there anyway because of the vinyl pool completely enclosing the space.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1145 on: September 16, 2007, 11:04:11 AM »

WTF?
It's level.

Condensation did not occur to me before we did it, because we live in a semi-desert where water does not usually condense on the outsides of glasses and I figured that moist air would not get under there anyway because of the vinyl pool completely enclosing the space.

It would seem that condensation and evaporation must still occur where ever water meets a temperature or pressure differential, but in the dry air the amount is rarely visible, due to the rapid exchange of air around the cold glass. The vinyl surface of the pool possibly hinders the rapid exchange of air, enough to collect a visible amount of water under the pool.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 11:05:56 AM by MarkingDawg »

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1146 on: September 16, 2007, 11:12:40 AM »

WTF?
It's level.

It would seem that condensation and evaporation must still occur where ever water meets a temperature or pressure differential, but in the dry air the amount is rarely visible, due to the rapid exchange of air around the cold glass. The vinyl surface of the pool possibly hinders the rapid exchange of air, enough to collect a visible amount of water under the pool.

Or maybe some water seeped up through the concrete, or maybe some of the water splashed out of the pool ran on the concrete underneath the pool and got the carpet pad wet, then it couldn't dry because the water couldn't evaporate?

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1147 on: September 16, 2007, 12:43:14 PM »

WTF?
It's level.

Or maybe some water seeped up through the concrete, or maybe some of the water splashed out of the pool ran on the concrete underneath the pool and got the carpet pad wet, then it couldn't dry because the water couldn't evaporate?

Yep. The pad would tend to hold the water, since it could contain a great deal and presents only a small surface around the edge to the drier outside air.
Concrete is certainly porous, unless it is chemically sealed, but whether the water accumulated from splashing or condensation, that water was just doing what water does. It finds other water and makes an ocean.

Offline enronh

• Intensity's Bicycle Repairman
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #1148 on: September 17, 2007, 08:50:26 PM »
About 5C in Dublin now. Great for night walking.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1149 on: September 18, 2007, 02:30:23 AM »
around 10C and rainy.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

duncvis

« Reply #1150 on: September 18, 2007, 07:07:49 AM »
sunny in patches, breezy, 11C/52F. nice bracing September weather. This is my favourite time of year. 8)

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1151 on: September 18, 2007, 07:11:27 AM »
cool. chilly. beautiful.
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1152 on: September 18, 2007, 03:23:04 PM »

Warm again! Near eighty, but still very low humidity and breezy.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #1153 on: September 18, 2007, 06:04:41 PM »
Nice and Fall like,  cool in the 40's at night warm in the 70's midday :clap:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #1154 on: September 18, 2007, 06:36:55 PM »
A little bit of rain.
Guardian of the Empire