Educational

Author Topic: What is the Weather like where You Live?  (Read 167817 times)

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: What is the Weather like where You Live?
« Reply #14340 on: April 21, 2023, 09:40:10 PM »
^You have clay, we have sand. It's a wonder anything grows!

25.5°C and sunny at 11:40am. Top of 27°C. A very warm day. Supposed to rain most of next week. :)
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #14341 on: April 22, 2023, 05:58:15 AM »
A bit of frost to scrape this morning, but now it's 40F/5C and temperature is still rising. Should make it up to 49F/9C with partly sunny skies.

It did not rain as much as I had hoped, but with the help of our kids, we got all our new plants in the ground. The large leaf silver Huechera looks really nice near the front door!
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14342 on: April 22, 2023, 06:20:06 AM »
Hey, Renaeden, the way to start fixing either of those soil types is the same. Add copious amounts of organic matter to attract worms and beneficial insects, bacterial colonies and mold to the area.

One trouble with either heavy clay soil or overly sandy soil is that the soil is "dead" and has little to offer beneficial organisms.
And then keep them moist.
Adding water to either is useless until you have something to absorb and keep some water within the soil. That's what the organic materials do.
Adding water to sand it just goes right through, doing nothing and adding water to clay will start anaerobic decomposition of what ever might still be there, making it smell like poop. NOT good!

You want to build up an oxygen rich environment.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2023, 06:26:58 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #14343 on: April 22, 2023, 03:57:01 PM »
18C, sunny. It's getting closer!
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14344 on: April 22, 2023, 10:48:16 PM »
Right at freezing just past midnight.
Frost everywhere, already.
Fortunately, no early morning drive tomorrow.

Not worried about our freshly planted babies since they are frost hardy and they were also well watered today. Need some mulch, though.

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #14345 on: April 23, 2023, 08:42:06 AM »
Heavy rain, 40's F, it is long overdue.  This should decrease the water deficit we have as well as the high wildfire danger that's been in effect for weeks now.  Not to mention washing the pollen out of air for a little while.
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14346 on: April 23, 2023, 04:00:06 PM »
Cold, a little wind, some sleet, 39F/4C. There's a hard freeze warning for the overnight hours.

I am tempted to cover my freshly planted petunias. The variety I planted are supposed to be slightly cold hardy for a degree or two, but what if the weather service got it wrong and the below freezing temperatures last much longer than predicted?

I think I am going to tough it out and go cover them for the night.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14347 on: April 23, 2023, 05:07:35 PM »
It's done.
Sheets of plastic holding down sections of bubblewrap to protect our investment.
Dollars for the plants was one level, but the fact of having my kids help me do some planting was the investment that is most treasured. I do not want that to be wasted!

All the hostas and the heuchera are completely hardy much farther north than Indiana Zone 5

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #14348 on: April 23, 2023, 06:28:30 PM »
It's done.
Sheets of plastic holding down sections of bubblewrap to protect our investment.
Dollars for the plants was one level, but the fact of having my kids help me do some planting was the investment that is most treasured. I do not want that to be wasted!

All the hostas and the heuchera are completely hardy much farther north than Indiana Zone 5

The hostas in my yard went nuts in the last week and are getting big.  I love them as they are very hard to kill :2thumbsup:

There was lots of lightning and rain last night into this morning but the day ended sunny
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #14349 on: April 23, 2023, 07:49:07 PM »
Heavy rains, 40's F raw and wet.......windy too.
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14350 on: April 24, 2023, 08:25:33 PM »
16.2°C and RAINING at 10:25am. We've gotten 16mm so far today. It's ANZAC Day here and I feel sorry for all those in the dawn services this morning. They would have gotten poured on.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14351 on: April 27, 2023, 07:22:31 PM »
Weatherzone isn't being cooperative. It's only showing what the minimum temperature was which was 10.1°C.  It's sunny here this morning though.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #14352 on: April 28, 2023, 02:38:05 PM »
Right at freezing just past midnight.
Frost everywhere, already.
Fortunately, no early morning drive tomorrow.

Not worried about our freshly planted babies since they are frost hardy and they were also well watered today. Need some mulch, though.

Kind of like this.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14353 on: April 28, 2023, 05:01:31 PM »
Warmish, 45F/8C now. May have been a little warmer in the afternoon. But it was a really dark, deeply overcast, misty, drizzly day after the rain quit this morning.
Calm, but dreary.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14354 on: April 30, 2023, 01:37:53 PM »
About the same temperatures for a couple of days, but we had a really nice mid day with some sunny skies and a light breeze. Beautiful!!

A little change now with much cooler temperatures, viscious, whipping winds, small hail, sleet, rain and snow all at once.
Just another little Indiana spring storm rolling through. Forecast calls for a lingering low Barometer which will probably bring all this to a mostly rainy day for tomorrow.