Author Topic: What is the Weather like where You Live?  (Read 167810 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: What is the Weather like where You Live?
« Reply #8820 on: December 04, 2014, 12:20:25 AM »
You had no snow at all last year? Lucky you.

We still haven't had any this year. A bit unusual. Not that I mind.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #8821 on: December 04, 2014, 12:33:40 AM »
It's not that uncommon to have no snow cold enough to stay for us here. But not seeing a single snowflake is rare.
But for years in a row, we did get proper snow. And I love the light it brings, and how it reduces the world to shapes without colour. Very calming. As a postie I loved walking around in the snow too.

Winters with black ice, rain, rain, drizzle and rain are dark and gloomy, without the light snow can bring.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8822 on: December 05, 2014, 12:07:31 AM »
Yeah, I agree about the light it brings. I don't like to wade in it, though, not since I was a child and loved it.

It's supposed to rain today, which is sort of nasty since it's freezing temperatures right now.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • This chicken is Insured.
« Reply #8823 on: December 05, 2014, 04:26:32 AM »
kalt
Can't you guys even just imagine it?

Forget practicality, or your experience....can you just....imagine?

It's there. It always was.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #8824 on: December 05, 2014, 11:04:39 AM »
Foggy, rainy around 39F.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8825 on: December 07, 2014, 03:17:07 AM »
Pouring down at the moment.  >:(

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #8826 on: December 07, 2014, 03:40:45 AM »
Mild drizzle. Bit over 3ºC. Wind is a lot calmer than it was this morning, coming from the south west.

This is a weird December. I had frozen bits of water in my garden for three days. But the common hollyhock did not give a dam. It is still in bloom. Well, one of the stems is. The other stems are providing a three meter high silhouette, dry, brown and heavy with seed.

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #8827 on: December 07, 2014, 09:41:13 AM »
Mild drizzle. Bit over 3ºC. Wind is a lot calmer than it was this morning, coming from the south west.

This is a weird December. I had frozen bits of water in my garden for three days. But the common hollyhock did not give a dam. It is still in bloom. Well, one of the stems is. The other stems are providing a three meter high silhouette, dry, brown and heavy with seed.

A few trees here are still holding on to their leaves (even after the pre-emptive winter that blew through)...the leaves are all brown and dead, but clinging to the branches.  :apondering:

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #8828 on: December 08, 2014, 05:08:40 AM »

A few trees here are still holding on to their leaves (even after the pre-emptive winter that blew through)...the leaves are all brown and dead, but clinging to the branches.  :apondering:

My beech hedge will not lose the brown leaves till the new ones come in spring. Winter oak will keep it's leaves till then too. There are quite a few legends about why those trees will not let go of their leaves.

The hollyhock that is blooming now has nearly white flowers in summer. The flowers it produces now are a reddish pink, with a lighter pink heart. It is weird that the frost did not stop it from being in flowers. I see quite a few hollyhocks every week. This is the only one that has flowers in stead of brown seed-heads.

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #8829 on: December 08, 2014, 08:34:40 PM »

My beech hedge will not lose the brown leaves till the new ones come in spring. Winter oak will keep it's leaves till then too. There are quite a few legends about why those trees will not let go of their leaves.

The hollyhock that is blooming now has nearly white flowers in summer. The flowers it produces now are a reddish pink, with a lighter pink heart. It is weird that the frost did not stop it from being in flowers. I see quite a few hollyhocks every week. This is the only one that has flowers in stead of brown seed-heads.

It must be a very resilient hollyhock... hey, what are the legends about why winter oaks hold onto leaves?

Btw, here it is cool outside, but not really cold...what you'd expect from typical mid-end fall weather.

Hannah

« Reply #8830 on: December 08, 2014, 08:49:32 PM »
raw humid air and bone cold wind chill not that great after walking back to the car after being at the gym  :headhurts:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8831 on: December 09, 2014, 12:08:26 AM »
Rainy. Cold.

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #8832 on: December 09, 2014, 03:45:24 AM »
I've heard a few legends about winter oak holding their leaves because of bets with the devil.

In various settings something extraordinarily good happened to people, when meeting a stranger while, unknowingly they had made a pact with the devil. Giving up their soul to him the moment the trees were barren.
Upon realising what they had gotten into, they did not want this to happen. And either the good forces in nature, or god, (depending on how old the myth) made it that some trees keep their leaves till other trees had new leaves. So that never all trees would be barren at the same time.
The devil, not happy with this messing with his plans, tried to tear the leaves of the tree. And that is why now all oak leaves have marks of where the nails of the devil tore them.

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #8833 on: December 09, 2014, 06:46:46 PM »
I've heard a few legends about winter oak holding their leaves because of bets with the devil.

In various settings something extraordinarily good happened to people, when meeting a stranger while, unknowingly they had made a pact with the devil. Giving up their soul to him the moment the trees were barren.
Upon realising what they had gotten into, they did not want this to happen. And either the good forces in nature, or god, (depending on how old the myth) made it that some trees keep their leaves till other trees had new leaves. So that never all trees would be barren at the same time.
The devil, not happy with this messing with his plans, tried to tear the leaves of the tree. And that is why now all oak leaves have marks of where the nails of the devil tore them.

Excellent story!  :2thumbsup:

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #8834 on: December 09, 2014, 11:41:37 PM »
Wet with a fair bit of wind. Bringing the sound that keeps people hidden under the covers.
Yes, I overslept.