Author Topic: Environmental group finds carcinogen in Pepsi & Coke  (Read 827 times)

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
Re: Environmental group finds carcinogen in Pepsi & Coke
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2013, 11:59:29 AM »
Its true that we are all slowly, in essence 'rusting' away, by virtue of continuously breathing oxygen.

No sense in hurrying that process up however. Although I'm not about to go and stop drinking coke, it tastes too good. Just like I know full well the likes of burgers, scampi, macdonalds (although I refuse to eat chicken nuggets, after finding out how they are made, and of what..ew..gross) are full of processed garbage they still have all those yummy reinforcing servings of glutamate, sugar, salt, fat and mechanically-reclaimed cow-parts that gives their burgers that delightfully addictive nature.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2013, 02:15:33 PM »
I used to drink literally nothing but pepsi. As in not even water or anything, just a couple cans of pepsi a day.

Now I only have it occasionally when I get a non-alcoholic drink in a pub/bar, or if I order a take away.

I only get cravings for it occasionally too, while I used to want to drink it all the time.

Lucozade was another one I was "addicted" to too

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2013, 02:36:26 PM »
*munches contendedly upon a carcino-licious, nitrite-filled, but oh so tasty bacon, fried egg, devilled brown sauce and tabasco sandwich*

Wish there had been more than one pack of bacon left though. Still, 12 slices of bacon and half a box of eggs..filled a big hole at least. *burp*

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2013, 03:00:57 PM »
*munches contendedly upon a carcino-licious, nitrite-filled, but oh so tasty bacon, fried egg, devilled brown sauce and tabasco sandwich*

Wish there had been more than one pack of bacon left though. Still, 12 slices of bacon and half a box of eggs..filled a big hole at least. *burp*

Crispy bacon is my big weakness when it comes to carcinogens. Smokey bacon flavoured crisps as well, but I hardly eat them.

I only like my bacon cremated, so I have to make an effort to avoid having too many fry-ups.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2013, 03:52:43 PM »
I never got the attraction of bacon

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2013, 05:58:39 PM »
Not a fan of bacon  crisps, although I can eat them without suffering. Not a chosen foodstuff however.

Actual bacon, chewy, grilled thick juicy slices of deceased porcine, I can't resist.
Fried egg each side of the bread, bacon in the middle, folded up, wrapped in bacon, and wrapped in another couple of fried eggs, all covered in hot sauce, peppery boletus and black pepper, all wrapped up in butter-covered brown bread...yum!

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2013, 06:52:15 PM »
Its true that we are all slowly, in essence 'rusting' away, by virtue of continuously breathing oxygen.

No sense in hurrying that process up however. Although I'm not about to go and stop drinking coke, it tastes too good. Just like I know full well the likes of burgers, scampi, macdonalds (although I refuse to eat chicken nuggets, after finding out how they are made, and of what..ew..gross) are full of processed garbage they still have all those yummy reinforcing servings of glutamate, sugar, salt, fat and mechanically-reclaimed cow-parts that gives their burgers that delightfully addictive nature.

I was just pressing the fact that you only live once, and there are other problems to worry about. Problems that may actually have a solution. :lol1:
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2013, 07:16:55 PM »
Too right.

I couldn't eat it to begin with...but I wouldn't fancy eating nothing but rabbit food, even if I could live to 120 or more.
I like my big juicy slams of steaming, pan-fried steaks too much for that. Sure, I like eating fruit (can't eat veg, sensory worst nightmare...ew), but theres no beating a nice well-done piece of dead animal floating upon a lake of chilli sauce. (seriously...try a nice piece of lean fillet or rump beef steak, fried in tabasco sauce...its delish!)

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2013, 11:30:10 PM »
I am similar to you, except it is fruit, not vegetables that I avoid. Unless it is in those fruit cups that are available at the shops.

My weakness is cereal. I could eat it all day.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2013, 11:43:03 PM »
Love fruit, can't get enough. I'm looking forward to the blackberries ripening, as there are absolutely MASSES of bushes all over the place within between 5 and 20 minutes walk. Can pick bin bags full in a good year, and they make the most fantastic pies.

Very little fruit I won't eat. Tomato, dragon fruit, pitahaya and horned melon are the only ones I can think of. Horned melon is fucking nasty...looks like loogie, tastes sort of like tomato, but worse.

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • This chicken is Insured.
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2013, 11:49:46 PM »
Both root beer and ginger beer have colouring.

I hate colouring, WHY does it even need colouring. Red bull looks like piss and ppl still drink it. No one gives a fuck about colouring.

Just stop colouring. Unnecessary.

Can't you guys even just imagine it?

Forget practicality, or your experience....can you just....imagine?

It's there. It always was.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2013, 11:53:41 PM »
Love fruit, can't get enough. I'm looking forward to the blackberries ripening, as there are absolutely MASSES of bushes all over the place within between 5 and 20 minutes walk. Can pick bin bags full in a good year, and they make the most fantastic pies.

Very little fruit I won't eat. Tomato, dragon fruit, pitahaya and horned melon are the only ones I can think of. Horned melon is fucking nasty...looks like loogie, tastes sort of like tomato, but worse.
Have you tried durian?
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2013, 12:59:21 AM »
Once. Never again.

It tastes as bad as it smells. Forget all the shite you read about 'raspberry custard'. It stinks like hydrogen sulfide and rotting alliaceous vegables, leeks, onions, rotting garlic, with strong overtones of burning sulfur.

I forgot durian. Thanks a lot for reminding me..I don't think :P

Lol...I didn't finish eating it, i just couldn't. Used it to get revenge on the tutor whilst in some shitty govt mandated dead end 'college' course. She was a hatchet-faced old sourpuss and total weapons-grade hellbitch. Reduced some girl to tears, telling her she was dole scum. Lovely girl, really, really did absolutely nothing to deserve it, dead quiet, never caused any grief to anybody. So me and my friend daisy tossed a load of durian up in the airvents.

They evacuated the building thinking there was a gas leak (despite the building having no connection to a gas supply....wtf...)

It really did stink that bad, cleared a multi story office block out. And after it started decomposing up in the vents.....oh boy. Not pleasant.

Reminds me kind of the time I, or someone else walking with me, but probably me, somehow tracked stinkhorn spores inside the house, where they started growing on the carpet, behind the fridge. Had to call the gas man out thinking there was a leak (you can smell stinkhorns in the woods for miles, long, LONG before ever seeing them, like a mixture of the mercaptans that are used to stench gas lines, and rotting corpse)

Some people eat those in the egg stage too, although thats the only mushroom thats ever made me sick.  Only tried one of the eggs (note-whilst they are by no means tempting fodder, do NOT eat any, repeat ANY mushroom egg, unless you are absolutely certain of its identity, confusion with the immature stages of various Amanita species would likely prove fatal, after much prolonged agony and suffering. The internal structure of Phallus spp, though is quite distinct when cut in cross-section, with any other fungus, other than other stinking phalloids.

It is eaten on the continent..but it made me sick as a fucking dog for a night. Stomach pains, severe nausea and vomiting, and sweating fucking bullets.

Never again.
Granted it was eaten, as a curiosity, that once, along with a dish of mixed waxcaps (Hygrocybe and Hygrophorus species...some are toxic, blackening ones in particular are to be avoided, but I was quite certain of the identification of the species eaten, and do not hold them responsible. But I won't be repeating the experiment with P.impudicus alone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phallus_impudicus

LOL.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2013, 01:24:09 AM »
I drink a lot of Coke so I read about this the other day.  The chemical is found in trace amounts  according to the article
The Food and Drug Administration has also said that a consumer would have to drink more than 1,000 cans of soda a day to reach the doses administered that have shown links to cancer in rodents.
So I am skeptical,  they also had a warning about lead the danger to kids at Disney from the brass doorknobs

That reminds me of the 1970s fuss about Red Dye #2.  I was never allowed to have cereal with pretty colors in it.  :'(
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2013, 01:26:04 AM »
Cherry Coke is great.
Good reaction.   :laugh:

Jack is not easily frightened, she laughs in the face of danger!  8)
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"