Educational

Author Topic: Environmental group finds carcinogen in Pepsi & Coke  (Read 828 times)

Offline TA

• Rage Filled Brain of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Face my Squirrely Wrath!
Re: Environmental group finds carcinogen in Pepsi & Coke
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2013, 01:00:04 PM »
So...i'll just add this to the "things that will kill you" flavor of the month list.
The stupidity of humanity FILLS ME WITH RAGE!

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2013, 03:42:57 PM »
Haven't had pepsi in years :P, every now and then I will crave a coke...but that's only a few times a year at most now.

Still drink ginger ale, not often though.

MIL and the old man are stuck on Mt. Dew, which I think is the nastiest crap ever.

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2013, 05:55:29 PM »
I am not convinced of there being a vast risk from pepsi, etc. from 4-Me-imidazole...

http://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/index.cfm?objectid=9B956B07-F1F6-975E-79BBCDCCD57001C8

Study did find some evidence amongst the highest dosed rats, but at the same time, also studies (I think this one) found that there were also certain decreases in cancers that were statistically greater than allowed for by the decrease in body weight observed at the highest doses.

Bearing in mind also, that these studies used several hundred mg/kg of (rat/mouse) body weight. Average rat weighs between 7-800g-1kg or so (for a really big rat, top end)...whereas a can of the drinks in question, according to wikipedia may contain somewhat over 100mcg. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4-Methylimidazole

Some of the pubmed articles make me tend to think this is overblown, and that the effects seen may even be species specific, rat hepatic metabolic pathways are somewhat different than those of primates. And without incubation with liver enzymes, seemingly 4-MI didn't appear to cause changes in rat or mouse bone marrow or erythrocytes. Studies (Salmonella typhimurium) for genotoxic properties came up negative.

IMO one would die of caffeine poisoning, or alternately, drowning in coke, LONG before they started to see ill effects from consumption of 4-methylimidazole.

And whats surprising about grumpy going through 1.5-2l of coke a day? granted its probably not HEALTHY but its not difficult to do. I practically live off fizzy crap and go through at LEAST one 2l bottle of fizzy shite a day, two when its hot. And I always have a couple of bottles beside my bed for when I get thirsty at night and don't fancy getting out of bed.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 05:59:04 PM by Lestat »
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline skyblue1

• Overlooked of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2013, 06:03:12 PM »
you should weigh 300 lbs

I  feel that more people die from diabetes

hastened by consuming too much soft drinks/sweet drinks of any type

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2013, 07:26:24 PM »
I can't have more than one can of soda per day without the acidity making my stomach hurt.  It sucks because soda is tasty, but I'm glad I know and can avoid it.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2013, 08:22:12 PM »
I can't have more than one can of soda per day without the acidity making my stomach hurt.  It sucks because soda is tasty, but I'm glad I know and can avoid it.
Have to be careful too and try to abide by the one per day limit as well, battery acid in the urinary track. If it weren't so bad for me, would drink it constantly.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2013, 08:27:46 PM »
Lol I don't weigh anything even close. There is next to no body fat on me, at least, next to nothing visible while unclothed.

Forgot what I weigh, but its probably not far over 110 or so. I don't seem to gain weight regardless of what I eat, although I'm still young enough to get away with that, without aquiring a middle-aged beer gut.

It does make some people rather envious, lol, when they realize I have a ridiculously sweet tooth. I probably spend way too much on candy too. £25 would dissappear down my neck in a few hours if I let it:P

Offline skyblue1

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2013, 08:39:11 PM »
Lol I don't weigh anything even close. There is next to no body fat on me, at least, next to nothing visible while unclothed.

Forgot what I weigh, but its probably not far over 110 or so. I don't seem to gain weight regardless of what I eat, although I'm still young enough to get away with that, without aquiring a middle-aged beer gut.

It does make some people rather envious, lol, when they realize I have a ridiculously sweet tooth. I probably spend way too much on candy too. £25 would dissappear down my neck in a few hours if I let it:P
some metabolisms are just like that

I try to maintain at 140 -145 lbs

I do it by avoiding carbs

No sweet drinks at all other than grapefruit juice during the week

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2013, 09:09:33 PM »
Food-wise I do tend to prefer proteinaceous foodstuffs, lean meat, fish etc. But admittedly I do like a fair few rather unhealthy things, such as (pack of) bacon and (box of) fried egg sandwiches, with a full 12 pack of bacon, interlaced with fried eggs and sliced birds eye chillis, spicy brown sauce and tabasco; for instance. Yum.

The disadvantage of a really fast metabolism though, is it means getting hungry a lot quicker, I might start feeling hungry less than an hour after said sandwich, and two hours later, my insides will be trying to tell my brain that my throat is cut :P
And when I don't HAVE any food, that really blows if I end up going hungry for a week, when theres no money, no food, and nothing to fill my stomach and take away hunger pains but water, with a bit of sugar and a couple of drops of HCl or some citric acid to make at least not completely intolerable.

Offline skyblue1

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2013, 09:12:11 PM »
Food-wise I do tend to prefer proteinaceous foodstuffs, lean meat, fish etc. But admittedly I do like a fair few rather unhealthy things, such as (pack of) bacon and (box of) fried egg sandwiches, with a full 12 pack of bacon, interlaced with fried eggs and sliced birds eye chillis, spicy brown sauce and tabasco; for instance. Yum.

The disadvantage of a really fast metabolism though, is it means getting hungry a lot quicker, I might start feeling hungry less than an hour after said sandwich, and two hours later, my insides will be trying to tell my brain that my throat is cut :P
And when I don't HAVE any food, that really blows if I end up going hungry for a week, when theres no money, no food, and nothing to fill my stomach and take away hunger pains but water, with a bit of sugar and a couple of drops of HCl or some citric acid to make at least not completely intolerable.
Watch the birds

good example of a fast matabolism

Especially  the humming birds

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2013, 09:17:03 PM »
Things aren't good, at the moment, food-wise.

I'm worried I might have just lost my entire income. Fucking sack of shit dept. of work and pensions are demanding I come in for a medical assessment, yet haven't sent me the forms i need or anything.

Might end up having to go out hunting, if they do, while I wait for it to be reinstated. I'm down to my last can of tuna, a couple of tins of beans, and a few cheapshit, revolting, tasteless, own-brand pot noodle wannabes :(

Offline AspieMomma

• Red Headed Stepchild of the Aspie Elite.
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2013, 10:30:10 PM »
That stinks, Lestat.  I wish I could make you a sandwich.

Do they have a physical office?  I'd sit there and wait until someone produced the forms. 

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2013, 11:42:07 AM »
Did you guys know that there are carcinogens in air? Also just by sitting here and typing I am being bombarded by cosmic rays and other shit that knocks pegs off my DNA which can also cause cancer. Also the process of digesting food can cause cancer. (no kidding) EXISTING CAN CAUSE CANCER. Jesus Christ man. People need to focus on things that actually make a difference.
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline MLA

• Elitest Aspie of the Aspie Elite
  • Modulator
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • The internet isn't a library, it's a stage.
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2013, 01:34:24 PM »
that sucks :(

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2013, 07:37:43 PM »
Just saying. This is wasted money. Wasted time. Same as extensive studies into whether or not removing guns would lower crime in America. At first people claimed some stupid binary study results PROVED THEIR POINT, but then others began doing more extensive shit and proved em wrong. Back and forth back and forth. Its not going to lower crime. Existing could give you cancer. There is no longer a fucking "patriarchy". Religion makes for bad politics and education. You're never going to bring world peace.

STOP IT WITH THE FUCKING FANTASY CRUSADES, YOU ANAL ANUSES. Lets focus on the problems we can solve first, at least, ok? Thanks.

(not directed at anyone in particular, just this idiotic behavior) /rant
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"