Educational

Author Topic: Your pay should be related...  (Read 503 times)

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
Your pay should be related...
« on: June 09, 2013, 03:32:50 PM »
....to the amount of wealth your labor creates.
For instance:
Lets say you are a blues musician who has a steady gig at a local bar. You play every Wednesday night.  All other nights, exclusive of Wednesday, the bar averages $5000.  But on Wednesday your band packs the place and the bar takes in $12,000,

Your band should be well compensated.  I suggest a split in profit.
Misunderstood.

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
Re: Your pay should be related...
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 04:17:40 PM »
I agree.  What about the workers who do not generate huge profits  -  a minimum wage?
blah blah blah

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 05:14:39 PM »
  That system sounds good at first glance, but I don't see how it would work for me.  I work in the kitchen of a
  retirement home.  Residents pay a fixed amount per month for their meals.  They don't pay extra if they like one of my
  desserts and they don't move in or out based upon what I do. :cbc:  So how should I be paid?  ( For the record, my
  workplace gives cost-of-living raises and very good health benefits.  I'm just curious about how my value would be estimated. )
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Jesse

• My mirror shows black (Otherwise known as nigger)
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • where mountains throne
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 05:19:06 PM »
Do places actually even start anyone out at minimum wage anymore? I live on $11,400 a year. That's got to be below or at poverty lines
(I'm on SSDI however) So I think they should be raising that damn wage already shit.  :laugh:

It is a struggle. since I refuse to get on government, or low cost housing. because there such bitches about it
I mostley never have any money but that never bothered me

If I ever go back to work I more or less will start out on minimum wage
:skywarp:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 05:27:56 PM »
I agree to a point but not all jobs create profits, teaching for example.  Up until I started working for myself I was paid primarily though piecework which is kinda similar in that the more work I cleared the more both the company and I both made.  At times though the salesmen fuck up and the labor went way over what was projected and I would not want to be held hostage to someone elses fuck up.  I have always felt a livable wage with production and or profit sharing bonuses would work best.  The base wage should be enough that you should not have to rely on the bonuses because they are not always there.
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 05:31:06 PM »
cbc would get a yearly weeble bonus :cbc:
blah blah blah

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 05:36:56 PM »
When i worked in a pub the wages were shit, but you could still do well if you got good tips.

When i worked in a restaurant everyone got a basic wage.  All the tips went into the till and at the end of the week the manager would divide them.  They didn't just go to the waiters and bar staff.  The chefs and even the cleaners had a percent.

As far as the basic wage,  the chefs were paid the highest.  Skilled workers usually are.
blah blah blah

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 06:21:41 PM »
  That system sounds good at first glance, but I don't see how it would work for me.  I work in the kitchen of a
  retirement home.  Residents pay a fixed amount per month for their meals.  They don't pay extra if they like one of my
  desserts and they don't move in or out based upon what I do. :cbc:  So how should I be paid?  ( For the record, my
  workplace gives cost-of-living raises and very good health benefits.  I'm just curious about how my value would be estimated. )

why do you say Nat our job doesn't create profit?
IMHO, it is all part of the machine which is the retirement home. You need nurses, doctors, cleaners, fix it persons, operators, cooks, etc.  I mean, you can't let the old people starve.
Misunderstood.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 06:26:48 PM »
I agree to a point but not all jobs create profits, teaching for example.  Up until I started working for myself I was paid primarily though piecework which is kinda similar in that the more work I cleared the more both the company and I both made.  At times though the salesmen fuck up and the labor went way over what was projected and I would not want to be held hostage to someone elses fuck up.  I have always felt a livable wage with production and or profit sharing bonuses would work best.  The base wage should be enough that you should not have to rely on the bonuses because they are not always there.
your saying that a base wage, then profit sharing?

That could work as well. Unfortunately, oft times its the CEO or shareholder who thinks they deserve a majority of the pie.

Teachers are where government is necessary.  Paid from tax dollars rather than profit. It is a necessary service.  Where the entire society benefits from a well educated membership.
Cops shouldn't be paid as related to profit generated otherwise we'd live in constant fear of fines.
Misunderstood.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 06:33:07 PM »
cbc would get a yearly weeble bonus :cbc:

I would appreciate that! :cbc: I would wobble hard for it!

People forget.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2013, 06:35:59 PM »

IMHO, it is all part of the machine which is the retirement home. You need nurses, doctors, cleaners, fix it persons, operators, cooks, etc.  I mean, you can't let the old people starve.

But I can't prove that the way  *I*  do the job creates more profit for the home than the way someone else
   might do the job.  Arguably anyone could do what I do, so arguably I only deserve minimum wage.  :apondering:

People forget.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2013, 06:39:16 PM »

But I can't prove that the way  *I*  do the job creates more profit for the home than the way someone else
   might do the job.  Arguably anyone could do what I do, so arguably I only deserve minimum wage.  :apondering:

then you do, I that's what you believe.
Misunderstood.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2013, 06:40:26 PM »

then you do, I that's what you believe.

I'm just trying to find out how my individual pay would be determined by your system.  :dunno:

People forget.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2013, 06:41:19 PM »
Minimum wage plus free coffee.
Misunderstood.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2013, 06:46:25 PM »
your saying that a base wage, then profit sharing?

That could work as well. Unfortunately, oft times its the CEO or shareholder who thinks they deserve a majority of the pie.

Teachers are where government is necessary.  Paid from tax dollars rather than profit. It is a necessary service.  Where the entire society benefits from a well educated membership.
Cops shouldn't be paid as related to profit generated otherwise we'd live in constant fear of fines.

Part of the problem in pay is everyone thinks they are the deserving ones but in reality management and the workers need each other and the sooner they realize that the sooner everyone will make more money.  Poor pay and shitty conditions lead to shitty work and lots of theft costing more in the long run.  Treat people like, well people show them and their work respect and they will do anything for you.  You example in another thread of Costco is a very good one I watched a show about the CEO there a month of so ago.
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw