Author Topic: NSA collecting phone records of millions of Verizon customers daily  (Read 1501 times)

TheoK

Well, we "knew" this, in principle, but here it is black on white: NSA collecting phone records of millions of Verizon customers daily

P7PSP

Re: NSA collecting phone records of millions of Verizon customers daily
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 03:12:15 AM »
Good politicians don't grow on trees. They have to be put up there.

TheoK

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 03:33:24 AM »
Good politicians don't grow on trees. They have to be put up there.

:agreed: :plus:

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 03:37:00 AM »
Well, we "knew" this, in principle, but here it is black on white: NSA collecting phone records of millions of Verizon customers daily

What pisses me off more than this is those who say "Nothing to hide, nothing to fear", and I'm seeing on news comment sections. I'm pretty sure that very line of reasoning has been said many times in history during the advent of a tyranny. The U.S isn't immune to encroaching authoritarianism and yet they deny it's happening in face of these revelations. So while it's been known for a while, my bigger concern is the apathy and ignorance that a lot of people seem to have about it. Or at least I hope most of those comments are shills.
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

TheoK

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 03:38:40 AM »
It's not easy to be Winston Smith  :(

P7PSP

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 03:45:23 AM »
It's not easy to be Winston Smith  :(
Not easy to be Gavrilo Princip or Sophie Perovskaya either. Sometimes it is necessary. Other remedies should be exhausted first.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 06:10:09 AM »

If this had been Bush there would everyone would be screaming for his impeachment.  So far Obama has been just as bad if not worse than Bush on civil rights 
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 06:47:58 AM »
It is bush.  Obama just allowed it to continue. Said they put safeguards in place.

Someone said, maybe it was Franklin, those who trade freedom for security deserve neither.

So what if there is an occasional terrorist attack.  Give me my freedom.
Misunderstood.

TheoK

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2013, 07:02:41 AM »
 :agreed: :viking:

P7PSP

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2013, 07:38:01 AM »
It is bush.  Obama just allowed it to continue. Said they put safeguards in place.

Someone said, maybe it was Franklin, those who trade freedom for security deserve neither.

Obama is in his 2nd term. The Bush did it too defense is just as lame as just following orders defense.
If this had been Bush there would everyone would be screaming for his impeachment.  So far Obama has been just as bad if not worse than Bush on civil rights 

TheoK

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2013, 07:40:18 AM »
Obama is a Democrat. He is also "black". Thus people think that it is OK with him doing these things.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2013, 08:10:18 AM »
Justice Department Fights Release of Secret Court Opinion Finding Unconstitutional Surveillance

In the midst of revelations that the government has conducted extensive top-secret surveillance operations to collect domestic phone records and internet communications, the Justice Department was due to file a court motion Friday in its effort to keep secret an 86-page court opinion that determined that the government had violated the spirit of federal surveillance laws and engaged in unconstitutional spying.

This important case—all the more relevant in the wake of this week's disclosures—was triggered after Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.), a member of the Senate intelligence committee, started crying foul in 2011 about US government snooping.

Link
Bush may have started it Obama continued it and when it gets called unconstitutional they try to block release of the ruling.

George Bernard Shaw

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2013, 08:21:17 AM »

Obama is in his 2nd term. The Bush did it too defense is just as lame as just following orders defense.
i was simply replying to,parts suggestion that if bush did it people would be calling for an impeachment.  Bust did do it. He also started it.
Also, bust started illegal wiretapping of American citizens.  When it came to light the republican controlled congress simply changed the law.
Lots of things became standard under bush and is still common under Obama...though the evidence points to these actions no longer being illegal.

If you read my post, I suggested that I would rather have freedom over security.  I wasn't condoning it.  Just answering a claim.
Misunderstood.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2013, 08:24:11 AM »
Obama is a Democrat. He is also "black". Thus people think that it is OK with him doing these things.
actually I voted for Obama and I do not think this is ok.  Nor is subpoenaing records and sources from the AP.  lots of anti liberty shit going on that I'm not pleased with.
However, these things become necessary before people get off their comfortable asses and do something about it.
Misunderstood.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2013, 08:36:32 AM »
I too hoped he would be better than his predecessor but have been disappointed.  I do hope this will get people off their asses and push for change.   

George Bernard Shaw