Educational

Author Topic: The only apocalypse I fear.  (Read 1690 times)

Scrapheap

The only apocalypse I fear.
« on: May 08, 2013, 11:04:11 AM »
Is the one we know with almost 100% certianty will happen,the reversal of the earths magentic field.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geomagnetic_reversal

The last time this happened was 780,000 years ago and when it happens, the magnetic field loses 90% of its strength. As it satands right now, there's already a magnetic dead spot off the coast of South America which hints that the poles may be ready to start reversing.

Much of the earth will become uninhabitable. The worlds population will plumet from 7+ billion to just a few million. There will be massive wars fought to be the few lucky who survive. Civilization as we know it will come to an end and there will be a struggle to preserve all of mankinds scientific knolwedge.

How can we prepare for this thing that we know is going to happen??

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: The only apocalypse I fear.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 11:07:21 AM »
Just be ready to do whatever it takes to survive. And I mean whatever it takes. If it takes degenerating into an animal that cannibalizes or murders other humans for what they have and lives in whatever conditions are available, then be ready to.

(assuming survival is what you're after.)
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Scrapheap

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 11:11:53 AM »
Just be ready to do whatever it takes to survive. And I mean whatever it takes. If it takes degenerating into an animal that cannibalizes or murders other humans for what they have and lives in whatever conditions are available, then be ready to.

It isn't just survival, I think the most important thing is the preservation of our scientific knowledge.

How can we perserve that so when the magnetic field re-stabilizes, we can resume scientific progress where we left off.

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 11:20:11 AM »

It isn't just survival, I think the most important thing is the preservation of our scientific knowledge.

How can we perserve that so when the magnetic field re-stabilizes, we can resume scientific progress where we left off.

No way that I can think of, dude.
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 02:09:14 PM »
Dude, they have that weird anti gravity spot near San Jose.
Misunderstood.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 04:18:17 PM »
Is the one we know with almost 100% certianty will happen,the reversal of the earths magentic field.

The last time this happened was 780,000 years ago and when it happens, the magnetic field loses 90% of its strength. As it satands right now, there's already a magnetic dead spot off the coast of South America which hints that the poles may be ready to start reversing.

Much of the earth will become uninhabitable. The worlds population will plumet from 7+ billion to just a few million. There will be massive wars fought to be the few lucky who survive. Civilization as we know it will come to an end and there will be a struggle to preserve all of mankinds scientific knolwedge.

You might want to reread the Wikipedia article you link to more carefully:

Statistical analysis shows no evidence for a correlation between reversals and extinctions.

This is how Hollywood movies are born.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 05:17:12 PM »
The Earth's magnetic field is really only important in terms of preventing the atmosphere from being eroded by the solar wind over geological timescales; it provides some radiation shielding, but the atmosphere itself is an excellent radiation shield, providing the equivalent shielding of about 10 metres of water, which is more than adequate.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline skyblue1

• Overlooked of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 05:20:08 PM »

sounds nice

since man is the root of most problems here on earth

maybe the earth will recover

Scrapheap

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 05:23:36 PM »

You might want to reread the Wikipedia article you link to more carefully:

Statistical analysis shows no evidence for a correlation between reversals and extinctions.

:facepalm2:

A severe reduction in population is not an extinction.

Now we know why odeon isn't a scientist, he's too fucking stupid for the field.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 05:54:10 PM »
Something I was pondering yesterday.  What will happen in the far future after mankind has gone and the aliens visit?  Will most of the world's knowledge be stored in electronic data form?  How much will be destroyed by trying to access it?  (X-rays, magnetic stuff, etc.)

Similarly, will the flipping of the poles wipe the data off? 
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

TheoK

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 06:03:55 PM »
Never mind. It's worse that the exact pronunciation of classical Latin is lost forever  :thumbdn:

Scrapheap

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 06:55:19 PM »
Never mind. It's worse that the exact pronunciation of classical Latin is lost forever  :thumbdn:

You could always build a time machine.  :dunno:

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 06:59:28 PM »
What do we want?
A time machine.
When do we want it?
It doesn't matter!
Misunderstood.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 07:18:47 PM »
One of the problems that is not thought about a lot in preserving knowledge in the case of severe worldwide catastrophe no matter what the cause is now that most things have gone digital is that you need some sort of reader to access it.  Sure you have your laptop now but without power what good is it?   How about five years from now with nobody making new ones and no replacement parts?  Another though even if you have a working computer you need the information which is mostly online?  I ran into problems when we lost power during the hurricanes needing information that was online I have since made hard copy back ups.
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013, 07:21:29 PM »
One of my greatest fears is a breakdown in society.