Educational

Author Topic: Tradition. Root of all evil?  (Read 286 times)

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Tradition. Root of all evil?
« on: April 24, 2013, 01:07:21 PM »
So professor derp made a statement he asked us to journal about on blackboard, and he asked for two paragraphs. One paragraph for, and one against his statement. I figured this would be a neat activity to share with you guys.

Assignment:
“The idea of tradition is the root of all evil which man-kind inflicts on itself.”

Ok, so now I'm quoting myself in the forum; it's that time of the semester.  For this post, I want you guys to write two paragraphs.  In the first, you'll tell me why I'm right.  In the second, you'll tell me why I'm wrong.  You should have two well-developed paragraphs discussing both sides of the quote.  Good luck!

My answer:
                                                                               Tradition: Root of All Evil, or Idealistic Safety Net?

In the sense of freedom and American ideals, Mr. Derp is correct in this statement. It would seem that most modern societies adopt a philosophy similar to Plato's idea of government and politics, this being that the mind is composed of several different psyches competing for decision much in the way ancient soldiers controlled several horses to pull a chariot. In Plato's philosophy, the human mind is a collection of several of these wild beasts, like the reasoning piece, the emotive piece, and the most basic "desire" piece. In Plato’s model, any society should be separated into classes much like those in the human brain. This includes the ruling intellectual elite, the passionate soldiers and workers, and the dregs. Having stated this, most would believe that these classes should not exist in a free society and one should be judged solely by the quality of their efforts.

This ideal could be argued however, in the sense that society would become jumbled and chaotic much in the same way an undisciplined mind would be. Without the intellectuals making most of the more important decisions, most plans would fail, there would be more war, and desire would rule the human brain more than it already does. It would seem that without some semblance of the platonic model governing the functions of modern society, that personal accountability would be the only thing protecting the human race from complete anarchy.

Anyone else want to give it a shot?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 01:10:01 PM by RageBeoulve »
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"